how to find an agent that represents a certain genre?

j0s3

Hi all,

I'm wondering how to go about searching for agents that represent certain genres? So, as opposed to doing a hige search for angents in general, and then having to sift through them to see which ones represent the genre i'm interested in, i would find only agents that represent the kind of work i write.

is there a certain book or site and maybe lists agents by category?

thanks in advance
jose

Odile

Registered
Reaction score
non-glib market

I'm searching for an agent that represents non-fiction writers, for a market that contains non-glib (english-)readers worldwide.
It would be hard to find this market in the bookstore, turning pages to find agents cited. Let alone from the Netherlands. The cathegory non-glib market I didn't encounter in the market -uh- thing. Anyone?

:e2bike2:cheese (dutch)​

Odile

Registered
Reaction score
if 'glib' means 'very good at verbalizing even if there is no message', 'non-glib' would mean 'a message but cannot put it into words'. I noticed the word 'glib' at a blog concerning technological education.

Toothpaste

THE RECKLESS RESCUE is out now!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
Ah, okay. But I wouldn't call that a genre. Genre is more like, fantasy, romance, historical. Glib is more like a general way of writing, and can be found in all genres. Glib tends to be a negative thing, something people say to describe the works of someone else in a bad way. There is really no point in calling something non-glib, because well, that's what we assume our work always is. I think most authors don't consider their own work glib, whether or not it is. There may be a slight problem with translation, as I know english isn't your first language.

Odile

Registered
Reaction score
The point I'm trying to make is...
What is it...
It is ...
I'm trying to say...
the 'non-glib' refers to an audience and to expression in talking, not to a genre. The genre in my case is non-fictional for a 'non-glib' audience.
This refers to a discussion on a technological forum. No offense intended. I now am going to think about this and if I'm going to use other words to express what I mean.

Toothpaste

THE RECKLESS RESCUE is out now!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
Oh how interesting! I had no idea that such a thing existed, my bad! Please accept my apologies. It may be quite a small niche, which is why you couldn't find it in the search. I think Kristen has the best advice, to find similar works and to see who represents them. Though it does sound like the type of book that may typically be sold directly to publishers, without an agent. You may also want to look into who publishes such work. Sorry again!!