• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Bradford Literary Agency (Laura Bradford)

jodiodi

Reflections of Reality
Registered
Reaction score
Mine was rejected. I got a handwritten note that said the partial didn't captivate her. She was very nice.

ixchel

Registered
Reaction score
I just got back a form rejection letter from her. On publishers marketplace she states she's looking for YA so I queried her. Then I got back the usual form rejection letter.

clara bow

Li'l Rug Bug
Registered
Reaction score
fwiw (info courtesy of www.karenfox.com

Vonna Harper's HAWK'S TALONS plus two more erotic romances and a novella, again to Audrey LaFehr at Kensington Aphrodisia, in a nice deal ($1 - $49,000), by Laura Bradford at Bradford Literary Agency. - Publisher's Lunch 9/25/07

Anya Bast, Jodi Lynn Copeland, Lauren Dane & Kit Tunstall's WHAT HAPPENS IN VEGAS: Close Encounters, a follow up erotic romance anthology featuring four connected novellas, this time in Sin City's paranormal dark side, to Susan Pezzack at Harlequin Spice, in a nice deal, by Laura Bradford at Bradford Literary Agency. - Publisher's Lunch 9/25/07

Witch Fire author Anya Bast's final two books in the Elemental Witches quartet, plus the first in her new Urban Fae series, Wicked Enchantment, again to Cindy Hwang for Berkley Sensation, in a nice deal, by Laura Bradford at Bradford Literary Agency. - Publisher's Lunch 9/4/07

Cynthia Eden's untitled paranormal romance novella in a Bad Boys anthology, again to Megan Records at Kensington Brava, in a nice deal ($1 - $49,000), by Laura Bradford at Bradford Literary Agency. - Publisher's Lunch 8/16/07

Cynthia Eden's WICKED WAYS, a novella for an upcoming paranormal-themed two-author anthology, to Megan Records at Kensington Brava, in a nice deal ($1 - $49,000), by Laura Bradford at Bradford Literary Agency. - Publisher's Lunch 7/20/07

Anya Bast's THE DARKEST KISS, to Cindy Hwang at Berkley Heat, in a nice deal ($1 - $49,000), by Laura Bradford at Bradford Literary Agency (World). - Publisher's Lunch 7/9/07

Operation G-Spot author Jodi Lynn Copeland's two contemporary erotic romances, to Hilary Sares at Kensington Aphrodisia, in a nice deal $1 - $49,000), by Laura Bradford at Bradford Literary Agency (world). - Publisher's Lunch 5/24/07

Christine Zampi writing as Christie Kelley'a HER SCANDALOUS PROPOSAL, a sexy Regency-set historical about a spinster and budding novelist who is determined to learn about the pleasures of carnal love (for "research" of course!), to John Scognamiglio for Kensington Zebra, in a nice deal ($1 - $49,000), for two books, by Laura Bradford at Bradford Literary Agency (world). - Publisher's Lunch 5/15/07

Delta Dupree's DANCE WITH ME, to Hilary Sares at Kensington Aphrodisia, in a nice deal ($1 - $49,000), in a two-book deal, by Laura Bradford at Bradford Literary Agency (World). - Publisher's Lunch 4/17/07

Cynthia Eden's TOUCHING THE DARKNESS, a psychologist whose patients are all supernatural creatures
-- lovelorn succubi, vampires with blood phobias and the occasional shifter with commitment issues -- is pulled into a brutal murder investigation as a profiler, to Kate Duffy and Megan Records at Kensington Brava, in a nice deal ($1 - $49,000), by Laura Bradford at Bradford Literary Agency (World). - Publisher's Lunch 3/30/07

Anya Bast, Jodi Lynn Copeland, Lauren Dane and Kit Tunstall's WHAT HAPPENS IN VEGAS..., a contemporary erotic romance anthology featuring four connected novellas set in Sin City, to Susan Pezzack for Harlequin Spice, in a nice deal ($1 - $49,000), by Laura Bradford at Bradford Literary Agency (World).
[email protected] - Publisher's Lunch 11/27/06​

Deirdre

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Website
deirdre.net
Clara,

Is that standard $1-$49,000? And what does it mean? I'm a newbie, but that doesn't seem like much for a novel. But then I used to be a senior software engineer (six figure income).

It's just an advance range. In science fiction, typical first-novel advances are around $3k to $5k. Other fields differ, but it's not generally something one does to make a boatload of cash.

(Speaking as a Sr. Software Engineer.)

Legionsynch

Registered
Reaction score
Finally got a form letter rejection on the partial sent out on July 24th. The intriguing reply is her form letter, from what I've seen around different places.

clara bow

Li'l Rug Bug
Registered
Reaction score
I'm from Sunnyvale. .

::waving from San Ramon::

the deal report $ thing is just a range to let folks know *approximately* how much a book sold for. In the case of 1-49, it could be as little as $2500 or as much as, well, 49k. Why they break it down like they do, I dunno. Each sale is different, but obviously agents sell books for all kinds of amounts. Does that help? maybe someone who's more industry savvy will chime in.

Carrie R.

Procrastinating, clearly
Registered
Reaction score
Just for reference (and sorry if I'm repeating this info), a lot of deals listed on Publishers Marketplace will have the range of the deal. Here's the key:

Nice Deal: $1-$49,000
Very Nice Deal: $50,000-$99,000
Good Deal: $100,000-$250,000
Significant Deal: $251,000-$499,000
Major Deal: $500,000 and up

If it's a two or more book deal, you add up all the books to find the deal (i.e. it's not listed per book).

DaveKuzminski

Preditors & Editors
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
anotherealm.com
Using a range encourages reporting of sales. Otherwise, too many would be embarrassed to admit how small the advance was. Not just the writers, but the agents, too.

Deirdre

Registered
Reaction score
Website
deirdre.net
Menlo Park -- startup?

I'm working for a startup (just was busy today, y'know?). ::waving to the other bay area locals::

Back to the topic,

Those figures are the size of the deal, part of which is the advance. Royalties are paid, but would have to "earn out" above the advance in order for the author to see any. It's complicated.

RoccoMom

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.catsbooksmorecats.blogspot.com
Sorry to hear that, Toni. She hasn't rejected me yet. I just mailed the 50 pp last week. I hope she likes it. If not, I'll be submitting it to Cerridwen Press. I'm almost finished with my current one. I purposely made this one fit more into the "mold" that most romances are these days, but still keep my own style. I've had I think 8 total rejections so far plus 2 ask for 50 pp, out of about 20 queries that I sent the first week of Oct. It's hard taking rejection after rejection, especially the rude ones (only had one of those so far). It's like getting laid off or fired from a job. I worked as a senior software engineer and then retired to homeschool my kids. I thought engineers were tough. Rejection sometimes feels worse.

I Know what you mean. I work with engineers :.)

It was a paranormal mystery.

Deirdre

Registered
Reaction score
Website
deirdre.net
BTW, I worked 70 hrs a week at the startup I was at. It wasn't worth it. I ended up with mitral valve prolapse (leaky heart valve) from the work and stress. Do what you love--which seems to be writing--as much as you can and forget about the other.

Love software engineering, actually. Been doing it 32 years.
Love writing. Been doing it 26.

ObTopic: I'm guessing that most first novel advances are under 10k. There are exceptions, though.

Deirdre

Registered
Reaction score
Website
deirdre.net
Most first novel advances don't earn out.

Actually, first novels get more of a push than second novels, so often the sale of the second novel is worse.

I read more unpublished fiction than fiction these days (as a short fiction editor), so I know what you mean. :)

Anyhow, if this is going to get more complicated, it should probably go elsewhere. I think we've got the essence down of what was meant by the entries.

edgyllama

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
That's the "secret"; the publisher usually makes their money back before the author earns out her advance.

clara bow

Li'l Rug Bug
Registered
Reaction score
A new blog post by author Ann Aguirre sings the praises of Laura Bradford here.

There's also a group blog called The Bradford Bunch. Way back in the archives you can also find other posts where the clients discuss how effective an agent she is for them.

I sent Ms. Bradford a query two weeks ago, and man am I depressed because I know she'll reject me. I hate being so cynical but it's my only protection against bone-crushing disappointment.

At any rate, seems like this agent is a rising star. (she's sold five books for Aguirre since July).

clara bow

Li'l Rug Bug
Registered
Reaction score
wah, wah, wah

:tongue

I never received a response from her after four months (I queried in October 2007). I sent a follow up email requesting status, still no word. I even queried her again with another project since, letting her know that I assume the non-response was a pass. Still no word.

Just wondering if anyone else who queried Laura during that time frame got any kind of response. Thanks!

Shady Lane

my name is hannah
Registered
Reaction score
:tongue

I never received a response from her after four months (I queried in October 2007). I sent a follow up email requesting status, still no word. I even queried her again with another project since, letting her know that I assume the non-response was a pass. Still no word.

Just wondering if anyone else who queried Laura during that time frame got any kind of response. Thanks!

My stuff also seemed to get stuck in a vortex during that period. I queried her in August and she promptly requested a partial (via snail mail.) I never heard anything so I status queried (via email) in December. She apologized sincerely and said she'd get back to me soon. About two weeks later, I got a letter (via snail mail) in my SASE requesting a full. Still waiting now.

Vandal

In the Center of things
Registered
Reaction score
I queried Laura on 12/1 and got a request for a partial the next day. Last week I sent a "what's up?" email and she said:

Your MS is approximately 4 feet down in my submission pile. I am
currently reading submissions from mid November, so I should be getting to
yours in the next couple of weeks.

It looks like she's pretty popular these days.

Shady Lane

my name is hannah
Registered
Reaction score
I queried Laura on 12/1 and got a request for a partial the next day. Last week I sent a "what's up?" email and she said:

Your MS is approximately 4 feet down in my submission pile. I am
currently reading submissions from mid November, so I should be getting to
yours in the next couple of weeks.

It looks like she's pretty popular these days.

Haha, guess she won't be getting to my full for awhile...

maggieuc

Registered
Reaction score
I got a request for a partial from her today! Hurrah!