• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Bradford Literary Agency (Laura Bradford)

Mama Bro

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.marileebrothers.com
I met Ms. Bradford at a conference. I was a finalist in their writing contest and my "reward" was a longer one-on-one session with an agent of my choice. I chose Laura Bradford because her website said she's looking for YA. The appointment was at the end of the day. I walked in and introduced myself. She yawned. Since I had already sold the book that finalled - a chick lit mystery, I asked her if she wanted to hear about the YA paranormal I was writing. She looked bored but said, "okay." After a couple of minutes, her eyes began to glaze over. I knew I was wasting my time. I thanked her and said I'd leave so she could get some rest. As I was leaving, she said, "Oh, go ahead and send me 100 pages." Since she was clearly uninterested, I decided not to. I spoke with the contest coordinator and told her about my experience. She said, "Oh, poor Laura had a migraine." I returned home and decided to send her a couple of chapters. That was in October, 2007. I've contacted her twice about the status of my submission. She doesn't reply. To me, not caring enough to send a form rejection is somehow more insulting than receiving one. In checking her website, it seems she's really concentrating on erotica which is not really my thing at all. So, I have one book out, another coming out in October of 2009 and can't seem to get an agent interested. Any advice?

paperback-writer

Registered
Reaction score
Bradford Lit

Hello, everyone. Saw this thread and thought I'd take a second to reply. Laura Bradford is my agent and she's wonderful. She recently brokered a two book deal for me with Eos, the science fiction arm of Harper Collins. So no, erotica/romantica isn't the only genre she reps. Another of her authors writes scifi and has a new release out now. It's called Grimspace, by Anne Aguilla.

Laura is a legit agent and a true joy to work with. Her communication skills are excellent and she's very hands on. I can't reccommend her highly enough.

Katherine Allred
http://www.katherineallred.com

clara bow

Li'l Rug Bug
Registered
Reaction score
fwiw, I received an email in response to my status inquiry, and she said she'd be getting to my pages soon. That was about five weeks ago.

Shady Lane

my name is hannah
Registered
Reaction score
Realized I never summed up what happened with me and Ms. Bradford--I got an offer about a month after I sent the full. I sent her an email to her let know I'd gotten other offers, and didn't get an answer. Two days later I emailed her again to let her know I'd accepted an offer, and she emailed back telling me congratulations and she was sorry she didn't get through my manuscript in time. All in all, very positive experience, and I have the highest opinion of her.

clara bow

Li'l Rug Bug
Registered
Reaction score
And now for something completely different

I'm glad Shady Lane had better luck. fwiw, I just received my rejection, about 8 months after sending the initial query package.

Lccorp2

How are you gentlemen?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lccorp2.livejournal.com
Got a partial request from her today for a science fiction/fantasy hybrid for YA/Adults, let's see how it turns out.

Last edited:

Vandal

In the Center of things
Registered
Reaction score
It took her 4 1/2 months to send me a rejection on a partial.

julesq

Registered
Reaction score
I sent Laura a query by email last thursday, she replied less then a week later asking for a partial to be sent via snail mail. I had also recieved a reply from another agent and an offer for representaion within in this short time frame. I told Laura this and she asked for the full to be sent via email and asked how much time I needed before making a decision. She was very gracious and got back to me the next day with an offer....so now I have to make a decision. I found her to be very informative, professional and extremely motivating!

Lccorp2

How are you gentlemen?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lccorp2.livejournal.com
*Evil shifty eyes* dang, competition...

On a serious note, though, let us know when you get anything back.

julesq

Registered
Reaction score
I am very excited to say I accepted her offer of representation yesterday.....so my entire experiece lasted the whole of three days......totally not the norm, but glad I didn't have to wait......good luck to everyone who has subs in with her....she was a total dream and very down to earth...looking forward to working with her!

julesq

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks guys! I still can't quite believe it...

julesq

Registered
Reaction score
Just an update for anyone that's interested...Laura pitched my ms in mid July, and we sold a two book deal to Avon, in early September! She's great, knows her stuff and, I would highly reccomend her to anyone!

DeeSoul

Caffeine Diem
Registered
Reaction score
Just an update for anyone that's interested...Laura pitched my ms in mid July, and we sold a two book deal to Avon, in early September! She's great, knows her stuff and, I would highly reccomend her to anyone!

Congratulations! How exciting!

JenWriter

Word Count Slayer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
jenhayley.com
Congrats! I have a partial out with her, and she's been great in all communication so far.

julesq

Registered
Reaction score
good luck to everyone with partials in. She's definitely the real deal.

And thank you all for your kind words!

MissLadyRae

I vaahnt to suck your blaahd
Registered
Reaction score
Mucho congrats, Jules! I think I saw your deal over at PM and made a note to check out your book. I loved the synopsis!