• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

[Agency] Regal Hoffmann & Associates (formerly Regal Literary, Inc.)

lostlore

Registered
Reaction score
Hi All,

Anyone know much about Joe Regal of Regal Literary?

Some of the things he's said in interviews strikes my fancy, but I don't know what kind of thing he's looking for right now and I don't know much else about him. Nothing turns up on a forum search. Their site is http://www.regal-literary.com/

Thanks.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
The website's got agent bios and interests, client lists, and submission guidelines. What sort of other info are you looking for?

lostlore

Registered
Reaction score
CaoPaux said:
The website's got agent bios and interests, client lists, and submission guidelines. What sort of other info are you looking for?
A personal recommendation wouldn't hurt but I'd get my money's worth by coming away from this thread knowing a little more about what kind of books Mr Regal is after right now, you know a little more than the standard paragraph bio of "general fiction and non-fiction"; I guess by posting here I was wondering if forum members had personal dealings with this agency, partial requests, rejections, or if they heard Mr Regal speak at a conference, you know -- just more info about him and hints as to what he likes, what he's looking for, word on any hot deals he's made, anecdotes, anything at all ... the site is kind of sparse and there isn't too much online about him, so I thought I'd ask.

Julie Worth

What? I have a title?
Registered
Reaction score
I've had a full read from them--more than one, actually--and they gave me some excellent feedback.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
No ancedotes to offer, I'm afraid. He/the agency did make six-figure deals in 2005, though.

victoriastrauss

Writer Beware Goddess
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.victoriastrauss.com
lostlore said:
Some of the things he's said in interviews strikes my fancy, but I don't know what kind of thing he's looking for right now and I don't know much else about him. Nothing turns up on a forum search. Their site is http://www.regal-literary.com/
The website provides you with plenty of information on what he likes and is looking for--just check out his authors and the books that he has recently sold.

- Victoria

williamfromkc

I'm keeping my day job
Registered
Reaction score
Regal Literary Agency

The website is pretty impressive and I actually found a prior book they represented that could be compared to my MS. PE gives them a $ and the coveted "recommended". But has anyone had any experience with these folks?

merchantseaman2

Registered
Reaction score
[Agency] Regal Literary, Inc.

Hi, does anyone know where Bess Reed Currence went after leaving Regal. also, does anyone have any information on feedback from Michael Strong from Regal. Thanks for any help. Merchant Seaman

Last edited:

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Ah! I'm not finding any sales for him yet. Here's his LinkedIn page, FWIW.

merchantseaman2

Registered
Reaction score
How long does a reply from Regal Literary take

I sent a snail mail query to Regal Literary about six weeks ago and have recieved no reply. Does anyone know how long they usually take? Thanks Merchant Seaman

aka eraser

Fish Whisperer
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.frankbaron.com
Well, dang it. It sure as heck doesn't belong here in FAQs. And I'd say you should check Regal Literary's web site and/or guidelines to get a heads-up about approximate response times. Six weeks is a blink of an eye in publishing terms. Without indications to the contrary, I'd probably send a short, polite follow up at the three-month mark.

I hope you haven't limited yourself to one query at a time. By all means, get a few irons toasting in the fire at a time.

And I guess I'll send this over to B & BC. They don't have enough to do over there anyway. ;)

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, my whipping arm is getting tired from the flogging the PA horse. It's dead, anyway, but I swear I keep seeing it move...

Dear Author

Yep, still at it.
Registered
Reaction score
FWIW, Joe Regal is Audrey Niffenegger's agent. I queried him shortly before the news broke of her 2nd novel's big advance. It was passed to Michael Strong who requested a partial. Correspondence with him has been extremely pleasant.

Wondering if anyone else out there has had dealings with him by now?

RoseColoredSkies

It's a long and winding road
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sarah-biglow.com
The link provided in this thread gives me a "page not found" error when I try to load it. Have they perhaps switched web addresses?

ETA: Nevermind. I googled and the page loaded just fine.

klawrence

Registered
Reaction score
Newbie with question (if it belongs elsewhere, please let me know):

My neighbor has a deep interest in seeing me published and also has a personal connection with an agent at Regal Literary through her son. She spoke with the Regal agent and told him about her neighbor who is an aspiring writer. She's been kind enough to pass on his information to me to send a query and pages, but Regal isn't interested in my genre. Do I still send the agent a query? I know my neighbor will want me to follow up with her.

Thanks in advance!

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
No harm in sending a query, IMO. Even if it's not for him, you might get feedback and/or a referral to another agent.

Angkor

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Michael Strong requested partials, then my full manuscript. We had several exchanges. He was constructive and very responsive. In the end, he passed, but invited me to submit my next project. My experience with this agency was nothing but positive. Strong is a true pro with a human side. My only complaint is that he requested a couple of partials via snail mail before asking for the full ms also via snail mail. He could save time and the author some expense by simply cutting out at least one of these middle steps.

I really like Regal Literary and its dynamic chief, Joe Regal, and regret it didn't ultimately work out with me. This agency is worth querying, but be sure you can offer truly top-notch material.

Miss Plum

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
Michael Strong just requested a partial from me. I'll update.

Aaaaaaand . . . form reject on a partial. I'm not surprised. I queried on a graphic novel and his request letter indicated that he didn't understand what was coming his way.

Last edited:

Sage

Currently titleless
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Michelle Andelman has joined this agency.
With five years' experience in children's publishing, Michelle Andelman joined Regal Literary in 2010. She previously advised foreign publishers as a scout and got her start as an agent with Andrea Brown Literary Agency, where she worked with debut talent such as Lauren Strasnick, Dia Reeves, and Emily Horner. Michelle handles all categories of children's books, representing authors of middle-grade and Young Adult fiction, and author-illustrators of picture books and graphic novels. Her magnets are elegant, quirky voices, emotionally driven plots, and settings richly evoked or imagined. Michelle is a graduate of the Dramatic Writing Program at the Tisch School of the Arts, and the master's program in English and American literature at NYU.
http://www.regal-literary.com/About.html

elae

time to draw
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.niki-smith.com
Any idea if we should re-query if we sent one while she was with her last agency? I queried maybe a month ago.

Sage

Currently titleless
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
I think she was a no response = no agent, so I don't know the answer to that, lol