The AW Amazon Store
Buy books by AWers

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: [Agency] Regal Hoffmann & Associates (formerly Regal Literary, Inc.)

practical experience, FTW

[Agency] Regal Hoffmann & Associates (formerly Regal Literary, Inc.)

Hi All,

Anyone know much about Joe Regal of Regal Literary?

Some of the things he's said in interviews strikes my fancy, but I don't know what kind of thing he's looking for right now and I don't know much else about him. Nothing turns up on a forum search. Their site is http://www.regal-literary.com/

Thanks.

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    The website's got agent bios and interests, client lists, and submission guidelines. What sort of other info are you looking for?
    ICAO
    ---------
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017:

practical experience, FTW
    Quote Originally Posted by CaoPaux
    The website's got agent bios and interests, client lists, and submission guidelines. What sort of other info are you looking for?
    A personal recommendation wouldn't hurt but I'd get my money's worth by coming away from this thread knowing a little more about what kind of books Mr Regal is after right now, you know a little more than the standard paragraph bio of "general fiction and non-fiction"; I guess by posting here I was wondering if forum members had personal dealings with this agency, partial requests, rejections, or if they heard Mr Regal speak at a conference, you know -- just more info about him and hints as to what he likes, what he's looking for, word on any hot deals he's made, anecdotes, anything at all ... the site is kind of sparse and there isn't too much online about him, so I thought I'd ask.

What? I have a title? Julie Worth's Avatar
    I've had a full read from them--more than one, actually--and they gave me some excellent feedback.

No ancedotes to offer, I'm afraid. He/the agency did make six-figure deals in 2005, though.
    ICAO
    ---------
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

Writer Beware Goddess Absolute Sage victoriastrauss's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lostlore
    Some of the things he's said in interviews strikes my fancy, but I don't know what kind of thing he's looking for right now and I don't know much else about him. Nothing turns up on a forum search. Their site is http://www.regal-literary.com/
    The website provides you with plenty of information on what he likes and is looking for--just check out his authors and the books that he has recently sold.

- Victoria

I'm keeping my day job williamfromkc's Avatar

Regal Literary Agency

The website is pretty impressive and I actually found a prior book they represented that could be compared to my MS. PE gives them a $ and the coveted "recommended". But has anyone had any experience with these folks?

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

Question [Agency] Regal Literary, Inc.

Hi, does anyone know where Bess Reed Currence went after leaving Regal. also, does anyone have any information on feedback from Michael Strong from Regal. Thanks for any help. Merchant Seaman
    Last edited by Merchant Seaman; 02-10-2009 at 01:56 AM. Reason: typo on Strong's name

http://www.regal-literary.com/

From what I see in workshop mentions, Bess is no longer agenting: http://www.outreach.olemiss.edu/summ...ers/index.html

I'm not finding anything on Michael Strom. Do you mean Michael Strong?
    ICAO
    ---------

Thumbs up

Thanks for pointing out my typo. I meant Strong.

Ah! I'm not finding any sales for him yet. Here's his LinkedIn page, FWIW.
    ICAO
    ---------

Question How long does a reply from Regal Literary take

I sent a snail mail query to Regal Literary about six weeks ago and have recieved no reply. Does anyone know how long they usually take? Thanks Merchant Seaman

The Unicorn Writer Madisonwrites's Avatar
    Perhaps this should be moved to Bewares and Background Checks. Mods, take it away!
    http://www.madisonhood.netne.net -- New website! Come check it out!

http://madisonlovestowrite.blogspot.com -- It's got a new look! Come visit!

"A professional writer is an amateur who didn't quit." --Richard Bach

Well, dang it. It sure as heck doesn't belong here in FAQs. And I'd say you should check Regal Literary's web site and/or guidelines to get a heads-up about approximate response times. Six weeks is a blink of an eye in publishing terms. Without indications to the contrary, I'd probably send a short, polite follow up at the three-month mark.

I hope you haven't limited yourself to one query at a time. By all means, get a few irons toasting in the fire at a time.

And I guess I'll send this over to B & BC. They don't have enough to do over there anyway.
    Recently Thunk Thoughts
    www.frankbaron.com
    My book makes a great gift!

He who conquers others is strong. He who conquers himself is mighty. - Lao Tzu

The King and Queen of Cheese BenPanced's Avatar
    Yeah, my whipping arm is getting tired from the flogging the PA horse. It's dead, anyway, but I swear I keep seeing it move...
    I still poop rainbows.

I won't steal any of your ideas. I have enough of my own I'm not using.

Question

FWIW, Joe Regal is Audrey Niffenegger's agent. I queried him shortly before the news broke of her 2nd novel's big advance. It was passed to Michael Strong who requested a partial. Correspondence with him has been extremely pleasant.

Wondering if anyone else out there has had dealings with him by now?

It's a long and winding road RoseColoredSkies's Avatar
    The link provided in this thread gives me a "page not found" error when I try to load it. Have they perhaps switched web addresses?

ETA: Nevermind. I googled and the page loaded just fine.
    YA Urban Fantasy - revising
    Women's Fiction - querying

Newbie with question (if it belongs elsewhere, please let me know):

My neighbor has a deep interest in seeing me published and also has a personal connection with an agent at Regal Literary through her son. She spoke with the Regal agent and told him about her neighbor who is an aspiring writer. She's been kind enough to pass on his information to me to send a query and pages, but Regal isn't interested in my genre. Do I still send the agent a query? I know my neighbor will want me to follow up with her.

Thanks in advance!

No harm in sending a query, IMO. Even if it's not for him, you might get feedback and/or a referral to another agent.
    ICAO
    ---------

practical experience, FTW Angkor's Avatar
    Michael Strong requested partials, then my full manuscript. We had several exchanges. He was constructive and very responsive. In the end, he passed, but invited me to submit my next project. My experience with this agency was nothing but positive. Strong is a true pro with a human side. My only complaint is that he requested a couple of partials via snail mail before asking for the full ms also via snail mail. He could save time and the author some expense by simply cutting out at least one of these middle steps.

I really like Regal Literary and its dynamic chief, Joe Regal, and regret it didn't ultimately work out with me. This agency is worth querying, but be sure you can offer truly top-notch material.

Sockpuppet
    Michael Strong just requested a partial from me. I'll update.

Aaaaaaand . . . form reject on a partial. I'm not surprised. I queried on a graphic novel and his request letter indicated that he didn't understand what was coming his way.
    Last edited by Miss Plum; 07-04-2010 at 04:07 AM. Reason: Update

Michelle Andelman has joined this agency.

With five years' experience in children's publishing, Michelle Andelman joined Regal Literary in 2010. She previously advised foreign publishers as a scout and got her start as an agent with Andrea Brown Literary Agency, where she worked with debut talent such as Lauren Strasnick, Dia Reeves, and Emily Horner. Michelle handles all categories of children's books, representing authors of middle-grade and Young Adult fiction, and author-illustrators of picture books and graphic novels. Her magnets are elegant, quirky voices, emotionally driven plots, and settings richly evoked or imagined. Michelle is a graduate of the Dramatic Writing Program at the Tisch School of the Arts, and the master's program in English and American literature at NYU.
    http://www.regal-literary.com/About.html
    Beta Project entries and crits are up! Find them here (password:testing).
    Further crits and requests can go through me or directly in the threads.

I am the prince of Winter. My heart is of ice.
    And he's been slowly melting it for years.

Any idea if we should re-query if we sent one while she was with her last agency? I queried maybe a month ago.

Niki Smith: Comics & Graphic Novels
    http://www.niki-smith.com/ | twitter

Please get in touch for cover design rates.

I think she was a no response = no agent, so I don't know the answer to that, lol
    Beta Project entries and crits are up! Find them here (password:testing).
    Further crits and requests can go through me or directly in the threads.

I am the prince of Winter. My heart is of ice.
    And he's been slowly melting it for years.

Stand in the Place Where You Live KTC's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by elae View Post
    Any idea if we should re-query if we sent one while she was with her last agency? I queried maybe a month ago.
    so did i. (-:
    Get Burn Baby Burn Baby today! Now on the 2016 In the Margins Book Awards List!
    I blog
    I INSTAGRAM
    I Tweet
    I have 5 novels published. You can see them here on my Amazon Author Page if you're at all interested.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast