• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

UmbraProjects Publishing

J.S Greer

Feel the power!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Someone recently told me that they have a book deal with Umbraprojects. They claim to be a traditional publisher, although very new and small, but when I check the website, there are things that I question; They seem to use LULU to print books in some circumstances, their submission guidelines are odd, and overall, what little google told me about them was little help.

Anyone have any info?

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
J.S Greer said:
Someone recently told me that they have a book deal with Umbraprojects. They claim to be a traditional publisher, although very new and small, but when I check the website, there are things that I question; They seem to use LULU to print books in some circumstances, their submission guidelines are odd, and overall, what little google told me about them was little help.

Anyone have any info?
Where do they claim to be a "traditional publisher"? They do call themselves a small-time press, which is true enough; serving a niche market, by the looks of it.

As with any new* venture, they need to prove their model. If they can indeed get books [that people will buy] into stores, more power to them.

*From what Google is giving me, UmbraProjects was formed in 2004 by a group of friends to pool their artistic talents. Here's hoping they can survive open submissions.

victoriastrauss

Writer Beware Goddess
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.victoriastrauss.com
"Traditional publisher" is a meaningless term. Pretty much all it guarantees is that the publisher won't charge you an upfront fee.

Here's the Umbraprojects website. They also have a page on what looks like a networking site.

Nothing about these sites strikes me as especially professional. They've published almost nothing as of yet (which makes their claim, on their Answers page, that "we totally got way more popular then we ever expected" seem a bit suspicious) but the covers I found on Lulu are pretty ugly. Maybe they did start out by serving a niche market, but now they seem to be looking for pretty much any kind of fiction, so they're obviously looking to branch out.

There appear to be some serious knowledge gaps. Here's what they have to say about printing and ordering on their "Answers" page:
Six by nine isn't "trade paperback" by the way. TPB is 4.25"x6 (approximately). So your pricing is about right for the specs you're talking about. Basically what happens is we send the bookstores a copy of the finished/bound book. If they take it they pay for however many copies they want. We pay the printer and get a bulk discount for about $6 a copy. The bookstore will have paid $7 a copy and they'll turn around and sell it for the price on the cover (like $7.89 US). Thus UP makes fifty cents and the author makes fifty cents.

There's a lot wrong with this. First, they're mixed up about sizes--what they describe as a trade paperback (a term that actually refers to returnability, not to size) is closer to mass market paperback size. They appear to be claiming not to be POD, but their printer's cost ($6 per book) says POD to me. They want bookstores to pay $7 per book--a discount of just over 10%. Bookstores expect a 40% discount at minimum. Finally, their profit is only fifty cents. You're not going to run a profitable business making just fifty cents a book.

I think they're well-intentioned, but they seem pretty clueless.

- Victoria

Last edited: