A Holiday Reminder

aadams73

A Work in Progress
Registered
Reaction score
Please don't drink and drive this holiday season. Even if you just have a few, please call a cab or let a sober friend take the wheel.

Don't be another rotten drunken scumbag on our streets. Or I'll personally come and kick you in the groin. :)

MidnightMuse

Midnight Reading
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
aadams73 said:
Don't be another rotten drunken scumbag on our streets. Or I'll personally come and kick you in the groin. :)

Then I'll pick you up and kick you again!

Little Red Barn

haz own threads
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Happy Holidays aa and a big thanks for this life saving reminder.
Zero tolerance, now how about some of that sweet southern tea, my dear :)

Last edited:

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I know families who pay their teenagers and college students home on break to stay sober (of course) and be available to drive adults home as needed. Cheaper than a cab, and both educational and entertaining for the teenagers to see Dad's business associate sloppy-drunk and Grandma a little giddy. (Mom's behavior is, of course, above reproach.)

Maryn, zero tolerance

jbal

Registered
Reaction score
My wife's fake sister (they say they are but they aren't) Got hit by a drunk driver Christmas Eve a few years back, pregnant with her two year old in the car. Everyone was ok. You make an excellent reminder.

aliajohnson

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alissa-johnson.com
Amen to all of the above.

In my family, you can call 24/7 for an emergency ride and no lectures are allowed to follow. But if it's discovered that you drove drunk, or rode with someone who was drunk, the reprucusions (sp?) are severe. It was the rule when I was teen and it remains a rule now. It's worked like a charm.

Think about offering yourself as a sober driver at least once this holiday season.

Leah J. Utas

Protecting Teddy with all my might.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
You are not a better driver after having lifted a few.
I spent a good deal of my reporting career writing about accidents caused by drunk drivers. They kill all year round, but it somehow seems more tragic during the holidays.
Although they are entirely responsible for their behavior, and really ought to have that hammered home to them even harder by the courts, we as a society still equate alcohol with fun, holidays, and being an adult. Drunk driving won't be eradicated until we realize boozing it up isn't a sign that we're really grown-ups.
That said, drink responsibly and get a sober person to drive you home.

Gravity

Seen 'em come, seen 'em go
Registered
Reaction score
Once you've heard the truth, everything else is ju
A friend of mine was a Kentucky state trooper, with nearly twenty years on the job. Five years ago, on a late night shift right before Christmas Eve, he witnessed a pickup sideswiping a vintage-model sedan on I-75 south of Lexington. While the truck sped off, the sedan hit the emergency lane, rolled twice, and came to rest on its top. My friend radioed dispatch with a description of the truck, and then ran to the wreck. It was already burning, and he could hear screaming from inside. Lots of screaming. He ran back to his cruiser, snatched up the fire extinguisher, and then ran back to the car. By then it was fully involved, and the screams it emitted were nightmarish. The extinguisher proved of little use. By the time the EMTs and fire department workers got there, the entire family--mom, dad, and three kids all under six years of age--were dead. The drunk was caught two exits up, and was so trashed he didn't even know what he'd done. A week later my friend quit the force, saying that night was the worst thing he'd ever witnessed. Yeah, drunk driving is really funny.

Southern_girl29

Registered
Reaction score
I'm always the designated driver because I don't drink. But, really, please don't drink and drive. My younger sister died on New Year's Eve when she was 16, because she had been drinking. She would have survived the accident, except they landed in the water and she was too drunk to get yourself out.

Pat~

Luftmensch Emeritus, A.D.D.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I got hit by a drunk driver when I was pregnant with my firstborn. I was eating out with my husband, but wasn't feeling well, so went out to lie down in the car in the parking lot. A drunken teenager jumped the curb, took out a tree, hit my car and then dominoed a dozen others before he finally came to a stop. I got out of my car, and went over to his car; when he opened the door, there were beer cans all over the floorboard. He wanted to drive away, but I talked him into coming in to the restaurant with me (and told the manager who called police). We were in that parking lot for almost 2 hours while the police took down information from me and from everyone whose cars were hit.

Don't drink and drive, y'all. Stay safe.

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Those who have read my previous posts know what I'm about to say, but late Saturday night, a driver (who is believed to have been drunk, tox results still pending) smashed the police cruiser of my good friend, killing him. He leaved behind a wife and two little girls.

Everyone please be safe this holiday season.

Ol' Fashioned Girl

Hand? What hand?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenniferdahl.com
It's almost 'preaching to the choir', though, 'cause I can hear all those folks out there reading these messages and saying, "I do fine. Really. No problem here. Even when I've had a little too much, I'm good." Those of us who wouldn't drive drunk anyway, won't drive drunk this year, either. And those of us who think it's the only way to PARTY, will do it again. And not just at Christmas and New Year's.

jbal

Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, but Christmas and New Years' are amateur nights, where the ones that don't do it every day will be out.

oarsman

Salt water is the cure
Registered
Reaction score
An 18-year-old in our area just received a sentence of at least 12 years in prison for driving drunk on the wrong side of a highway and killing a couple (engaged to be married).

There were 16,694 alcohol-related fatalities in the U.S in 2004; 16,885 people died in 2005. There are 8766 hours in a year, so that's an alcohol-related death every half-hour.

NCRomanceWriter

Registered
Reaction score
Let me add another "Preaching to the Choir" post: My uncle and cousin were killed by a drunk driver when their van was hit by someone so wasted, she did not even remember what she did.

aadams73

A Work in Progress
Registered
Reaction score
My second cousin Geoff, his wife, their two children (neither of them school age yet) and a family friend were driving a mountain road in New Zealand during the day, when their vehicle was hit by a drunk truck(semi trailer) driver. The driver had no current license because it had been suspended for...tada...drunk driving! Everyone in that car died except for Geoff. The drunk driver also lived.

Geoff is well-known and well-liked in the small town in NZ he lives in. When they got him and the drunk driver to the hospital the staff there offered to "take care" of the drunk driver. Geoff said no.

Fortunately karma took a giant chunk out of the drunk driver's ass. The drunk driver's wife left, taking his kids. He was denied joint custody. He lost everything, went to prison for a time and in the end he committed suicide, if I recall correctly. Sometimes people get exactly what they deserve.

So, this is what you might get if you drink drive any time. If you drink and get behind that wheel you are NO different than any other murderer.

aadams73

A Work in Progress
Registered
Reaction score
Just a reminder, folks, DON'T drink and drive tonight. Don't be a massive loser ass, give the keys to a sober friend or take a cab.

Little Red Barn

haz own threads
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thank you aa.
Drive defensively, buckle up and don't become a statistic.

Safe and Happy New Year to all and you aa :Hug2:

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
There's lots wrong with the city where we live, but they do some things right. On New Year's Eve, busses ran quite late into the night, and paying one's fare was optional. If you needed a ride home because you'd been drinking, there was a free one available.

Now, about that ferry debacle...

Maryn, who stayed home

aadams73

A Work in Progress
Registered
Reaction score
Maryn said:
There's lots wrong with the city where we live, but they do some things right. On New Year's Eve, busses ran quite late into the night, and paying one's fare was optional. If you needed a ride home because you'd been drinking, there was a free one available.

That's a really fabulous idea. I really wish San Antonio had better public transport. Their biggest problem in this city was failure to anticipate how quickly it would grow.