• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Flame Books, Ltd.

just_a_girl

Registered
Reaction score
Has anyone had any dealings with them or know anything about them? I had an acquaintance who lives in the UK and she mentioned both Discovered Authors and Flame Books. She had her book on Discovered Authors and it turned out to be a waste of time. After that she said she was looking into Flame Books, but I lost touch w/her, so I don't know what happened. Has anyone heard of them, are they reputable?

LloydBrown

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lloydwrites.com
I spot checked a few of their works on Amazon. They don't seem to have sold any books. In fact, several of their "authors" don't have any books out by Flame Books but have a lot out by different publishers I've never heard of.

Ah, I get it. They're not on Amazon! They have an ISBN but somehow none of the ones I checked are listed at Amazon. That's very odd.

Sarmorrow

Registered
Reaction score
Website
ethicstrading.com
Hi,
Flame are showing some interest in one of my books so I'm following this with interest.

In the meantime I've done a but of sniffing about and both book stores in my town have Flame on their publishers database as valid and say they'd be happy to order books from them. Amazon.co.uk do have some Flame books online and so do Waterstones.

I'm also awaiting a reply from the UK Booksellers Association, hoping they can tell me more.

Hope this helps someone.

Sarah

victoriastrauss

Writer Beware Goddess
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.victoriastrauss.com
Whoa. 20-year contracts? That doesn't strike me as desirable--especially since I wouldn't take bets on the company being in business that long. No aspersions on this company in particular--but there's a high attrition rate among new small publishers.

Sarah, being able to order books through the stores doesn't mean very much--even PublishAmerica books can be special-ordered. It'd say a lot more if the stores actually had the books on their shelves.

One of their books, an anthology called The Book of Voices, has contributions by three writers whose names I recognize, two of them quite well known in fantasy/SF.

- Victoria

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madhousemanor.wordpress.com
My advice is always to aim high.

Books on the shelf are very different from books-available-for-order.

This publisher has a scant handful of books out over the past three years. They may suit your purposes, but be very sure of what your purposes are.

Sarmorrow

Registered
Reaction score
Website
ethicstrading.com
victoriastrauss said:
Sarah, being able to order books through the stores doesn't mean very much--even PublishAmerica books can be special-ordered. It'd say a lot more if the stores actually had the books on their shelves.
- Victoria

Damn, I'm just going to have to go back to the shop and look now aren't I?

just_a_girl

Registered
Reaction score
Hi,
Flame are showing some interest in one of my books so I'm following this with interest.

Have you learned anything more about this publisher? I'm thinking of submitting one of my manuscripts to them, but would like to know more about them first. On their website it says that they specialize in "short-run" titles, but it also says the offer a 20 yr. contract. Don't those two statements contradict eachother?

just_a_girl

Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, it seems kind of strange to me. If they only print a few books, why would they want you to sign a 20 yr. contract? Samorrow, if you're reading this, did they send you a contract? Can you shed some light on my concerns?

just_a_girl

Registered
Reaction score
I have gotten some second hand info on them. A friend of a friend was published by them. They discontinued his book due to finacial problems. Also they have no overseas distrubution so your book will only be in England.

That's interesting. I guess the 20 yr. contract must have some sort of out clause? Anybody else have info on this publisher?

Sarmorrow

Registered
Reaction score
Website
ethicstrading.com
I've heard nothing from them yet but when I asked about the contract they said they'd pass the enquiry to the legal team - I haven't heard back on that one either.

They do say they are not a vanity publisher and will not ask for any money. But the short run vs 20 yr contract does seem contradictory. I'm hesitant to slam them as they have been friendly and helpful so far - but I am waiting to see what happens next with a more wary eye.

Sarmorrow

Registered
Reaction score
Website
ethicstrading.com
I have gotten some second hand info on them. A friend of a friend was published by them. They discontinued his book due to finacial problems. Also they have no overseas distrubution so your book will only be in England.

Their books are available through Amazon - that opens the distribution.

just_a_girl

Registered
Reaction score
If they are paying $5000 advances, then they're definetly not a vanity press. Still, the contract seems unconventional, but that doesn't mean it's crooked. Hmn...

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Site last updated '09, and last book published '08.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Footnote: Tried for a "reorganization" in '12, but suspended operations by Dec. '13. Assets now for sale.