Stephen King

AdamH

Pumped Up Kicks
Registered
Reaction score
Easily The Stand. It's a worn out staple on my shelf. If I'm stuck on finding a book to read, I pick it up and take my stab at it.

Kinda extra freaky now since it starts out with this killer flu virus.

Shawshank Redemption is my favourite movie of his. The short story is alright but the movie beats it hands down.

Others: The Running Man, Misery, It, The Green Mile, and The Tommyknockers.

On Writing is one of the best writing books I've ever read.

Lauretta

In the fantasy word.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ciliegino.dallemieparti.net
I read only few of his books, and Misery has been my favorite so far. At a certain point I felt really, really sick.
I hope I will be able to show things the way he does.

nighttimer

No Gods No Masters
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Salem's Lot, The Stand, Misery rule.

Cell, Insomnia, The Tommyknockers drool.

:Thumbs:

Last edited:

BigWords

Geekzilla
Registered
Reaction score
The Stand, without a doubt. Best opening, best plot, best characters. My second choice would be The Running Man, and no... Don't mention the film in my presence.

half.jaded

Gone insane. Be right back.
Registered
Reaction score
Underground, trying to bomb the headquarters of ev
I'm still trying to work my way through The Green Mile. I don't think it's the writing, but rather I think it's not my kind of book. It's the wrong genre. xP

But I really really really got scared by Pet Sematary. Felt like throwing the book away. I would have, too, but I was reading it in the lunchroom and if I threw it, the book might have landed on someone else's food and got stained. (Ick.)

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Probably The Stand, and I like the uncut version better, even though it's a novel length longer than the original. Bag of Bones is a very, very close second.

Then again, with only a couple of exceptions, I love all King's novels, and love his shorter works even more, particularly The Body.

darkprincealain

Registered
Reaction score
1. Lisey's Story
2. The Stand
3. From a Buick 8

I would put The Langoliers as #3, but considering that's a novella, that would be cheating.

Of those, Lisey's Story scared me the most. With a nod, of course, to Bag of Bones, which I found curiously frightening.

Dicentra P

Help!!!!
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah I hear that a lot. But tell me, why The Stand hands down? I found it boring and extremely bloated after the first 500 pages. And the old woman's dialogue was maudlin and contrived. There were plenty of flaws in The Stand that IT didn't possess. But that's my opinion anyway.

The Stand over It because it didn't scare the bejeezus out of me and I finished it in the first reading not 20 years later with the determination that I will NOT let myself be terrorized by a work of fiction.

Lauretta

In the fantasy word.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ciliegino.dallemieparti.net
The Stand over It because it didn't scare the bejeezus out of me and I finished it in the first reading not 20 years later with the determination that I will NOT let myself be terrorized by a work of fiction.

Yesterday a colleague of mine told me that she will NEVER EVER read a SK book when she is alone at home again. Never ever.

I want to read Pet Sematary, just to see if it is as scary as the movie.

Satori1977

Listening to the Voices In My Head
Registered
Reaction score
I have only read a few of his novels. Don't like his short stories much.

My favorite is The Eyes of the Dragon (think that is the name).
Close seconds are The Stand, The Green Mile, It, and Needful Things.

Tried reading the first of the Dark Towers books and had a hard time getting into it. Put it down and haven't picked it back up.

I will have to read The Stand again...it has been about 10 years, I want to see if I still enjoy it.

firedrake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
  1. Salem's Lot
  2. The Stand
  3. It
Honorable Mention: Pet Semetary

fringle

always abroad
Registered
Reaction score
Though maybe not technically novels, my favorites are On Writing and The Body. I also loved The Shining and just read it for Halloween. I generally like SK, but I hated the book Insomnia.

MattW

Company Man
Registered
Reaction score
How Danny deals with both his nightmarish experiences and the clairvoyance, or "shining", which saved him, might make "a damn fine sequel", King said, according to local Toronto news website the Torontoist. His vision of the book – tentatively called Doctor Sleep - sees Danny now aged 40, working at a hospice for the terminally ill in upstate New York. He is apparently an orderly at the hospice, but his real work is to help make death a little easier for the dying patients with his psychic powers – while making a little money on the side by betting on the horses.

Cool! Hopefully there's something horrific in the book besides death of the patients. Maybe some demonic possession?

As long as the Shining doesn't lead to the Sparkling.

DamaNegra

Mexican on the loose!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fictionpress.com
Oh, I remember the way The Shinning gave me some horrible nightmares.... I couldn't sleep with the lights off for about two days after reading it. It was really embarrasing because I was staying at a friend's and made her keep the light on all night... Ah, good memories. I usually don't like Stephen King, but I may just give this book a try.

Phaeal

Whatever I did, I didn't do it.
Registered
Reaction score
I think Danny should join the Ghost Hunters at the Stanley Hotel, to investigate that room that Stephen King stayed in.

Stijn Hommes

Know what you write...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.peccarymagazine.5u.com
The whole thing that made the shining so creepy was the whole "creepy little kid seeing horrible things"-idea. I doubt anything else in Danny's later life can be quite that creepy.

smcc360

I've Got An MFA In LEO
Registered
Reaction score
I'd like to see him hook up with that nice Charlie McGee from Firestarter.