Stephen King

Fredster

Village idiot
Registered
Reaction score
Favorites: 'Salem's Lot, The Stand, IT

I didn't like a lot of his later books when I read them, but over the last several years I've been listening to audiobooks while I work out, and have gained a new appreciation for a couple. I didn't really care for Bag of Bones and Insomnia when I read them upon their release, but the audio versions are captivating. Insomnia is read by Eli Wallach, and he does a bang-up job. King himself reads Bag of Bones. Good stuff.

Also, if you get a chance to pick up The Green Mile audio by Frank Muller, it's excellent (as are the Dark Tower books he read before his accident).

Ellefire

Citizen Of Planet Random
Registered
Reaction score
The Stand is excellent, I have the extended version and I must have read it four or five times.
Tommyknockers, didn't like it the first time I read it. A couple of years later I reread it and loved it.
Firestarter. There's something very disturbing about small children with paranormal abilities.
The Drawing Of The Three, I think that's my favourite of the DT books, I skipped whole sections of Wizard and Glass when I reread them.
Insomnia, some great stuff in there, and also Dreamcatcher.

Kathleen42

crushing on fictional characters
Registered
Reaction score
Firestarter. There's something very disturbing about small children with paranormal abilities.

I don't remember the book too well (though I know I've read it) but I do have a soft spot for the movie.

childeroland

What happened to my LIFE?!
Registered
Reaction score
The Gunslinger (original version)
Wizards and Glass
Eyes of the Dragon
The Stand
Rage, The Long Walk, The Running Man

EFCollins

World Class Rambler
Registered
Reaction score
Way out there in BFE, where no one can hear you sc
Website
efcollins.blogspot.com
The Shining, Insomnia, Rose Madder (which is just too weird not to like), Bag of Bones. If we could include short stories... Chattery Teeth, The Moving Finger, and Popsy... and of course N. and The Gingerbread Girl, Rita Hayworth and the Shawshank Redemption and many, many others I can't think of at the moment.

Delhomeboy

Stalking Jennifer Aniston!
Registered
Reaction score
Ah! There are just too many!!!!

The Shining's probably my fave, as I've definitely read it the most, on average once a year since I was like, 12. IT is a great one too, as well as the first four Gunslingers (yes, that includes Wizard and Glass)...aw, hell, I like em all, even the less-than-stellar ones aka the last three Gunslingers, but the Shining is still my fave.

Alvah

Life is what you make of it.
Registered
Reaction score
My favorites are Hearts In Atlantis and Bag of Bones.

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not a fan but I remember really enjoying Different Seasons, particularly The Body.

TwentyD

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
It has its flaws, don't get me wrong...and I can't really put my finger on WHY it intrigued me so much. Some of the particular characters fascinated me (names escape me at the moment, haven't read it in a few years), along with the ways their story lines intertwined as the book went on.

The Trashcan Man is hands down my most favorite character from the book. His intense adoration for starting up fires is almost an innocent sort of thing he loves it so much. Pretty neat idea too how Randall Flagg sends him out to search for explosives, because if there's anyone qualified to do such a job, it's the Trashcan Man.

Last edited:

brainstorm77

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
1. The Shining
2. Salem's Lot
3. Misery
4. The Stand
5. Carrie
6. Needful Things
7. The Cell

C.bronco

I have plans...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
cynthia-bronco.blogspot.com
Tough, tough call. Salem's Lot kept my windows closed when I was 14. I loved The Stand. The Bachman Books were awesome, especially The Running Man. The Shining traumatized me and got me reading King.
Different Seasons kept me whirring.
Night Shift helped me through my formative years.
I just can't say.

SirOtter

Il Cavaliere Marino
Registered
Reaction score
The Stand, The Green Mile, From a Buick 8, The Dead Zone, Salem's Lot, Misery.

BTW, I can personally attest that, after a few drinks, King will admit that he hated the Kubrick version of The Shining. At least he would in 1983.

James81

Great Scott Member
Registered
Reaction score
Hearts in Atlantis has been my favorite thus far. But I've only read a handful of stuff by him.