The AW Amazon Store
Buy books by AWers

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: [Production co.] Zodiak Media (formerly RDF Media Group)

[Production co.] Zodiak Media (formerly RDF Media Group)

I'm probably just being paranoid, but I wanted to ask here just in case.

Okay, I've received an email which claims to be from a casting producer for ABC Television. What they want is something that I don't qualify for, but the email offers me a substantial finder's fee if I refer others to them who do meet their requirements.

I know ABC Television is legit. I'm just wondering if I'm actually receiving email from them. I followed the trail as far as I could on my own. The sending email has a domain name that seems to be the right one. I did a "who is" search, looked up the company showed as the registrar, then looked up that company (RDF Media) in Google and Wikipedia, and it led me right to the show that the casting producer claims to work for.

Everything looks legit, but I know that email headers are possible to forge and I don't want to refer others if this is something bad.

Is there anything else I should be checking up on? Or am I just being way too paranoid?

Battle Cat! SuperModerator alleycat's Avatar
    One word . . . scam.

Quote Originally Posted by alleycat
    One word . . . scam.
    Is there a way to inspect the email header to tell where it really came from?

If Victoria wants me to forward the whole email, I can do that.

Writer Beware Goddess Absolute Sage victoriastrauss's Avatar
    Yes, I'd be interested in seeing the email, with full headers--send to me at beware@sfwa.org

Is there a good reason for you to receive such an email, Jamie? For instance, if I got something like this I'd be inclined to assume it was a scam, because I have no TV or film connections.

- Victoria

Battle Cat! SuperModerator alleycat's Avatar
    The Jodi Friedman persona "from RDF Media" is all over the Internet.

Quote Originally Posted by victoriastrauss
    Yes, I'd be interested in seeing the email, with full headers--send to me at beware@sfwa.org

Is there a good reason for you to receive such an email, Jamie? For instance, if I got something like this I'd be inclined to assume it was a scam, because I have no TV or film connections.

- Victoria
    I'll forward it pronto. There is such a reason, because I'm in a position to know some of the (very small) number of people who do fit their requirements for the show.

Quote Originally Posted by alleycat
    The Jodi Friedman persona "from RDF Media" is all over the Internet.
    This email claims to be from Meghan McGinley.

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    Just to be clear: RDF Media Group is a legit producer. If the email actually came from them, congrats!
    ICAO
    ---------
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017:

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    Is now Zodiak Media: http://www.zodiakmedia.com/

ETA: In Feb '16, merged with BaniJay Group. Distribution arm now Zodiak Rights https://www.zodiakrights.com/public/home
    Last edited by CaoPaux; 12-10-2016 at 08:42 PM. Reason: updating w/o bumping
    ICAO
    ---------
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017: