• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

[Display site] Scribd

mooncars

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
What is this guy saying? I have no books on Lulu. Just thought I'd share this email with all of you! Really cool? Now doesn't that sound professional!

Best,
Rick

Hi Rick,

I checked out your books on Lulu.com and they look really cool. I
want to tell you about a new website that you can use to promote
sales, which you can view it at the following link:

http://beta.scribd.com/

We try to provide the best possible way to publish a PDF or Word
document online, and do our best to attract viewers. If you publish a
couple chapters or excerpts from your books and link back to your
storefront, it can be a great way to promote your work.

It is also a fun way to publish documents and check out cool things
other people have published. You simply upload a document, we convert
it to multiple formats, and then show you stats on who is viewing it.
All of the content on the site is organized with tags, ratings, view
counts, etc.

I would be delighted if you would publish on our site, and as it is
still in beta, I would be very happy to receive any feedback. Thank
you very much.

Best,
Trip Adler

--
John (Trip) Adler
[email protected]
617-335-6685

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Oy. Display site or 'bot-fed Google trap? Useless by any measure and spammers besides.

PollyWrites

Registered
Reaction score
Scribd

I just got the following enquiry from a friend,
What do you know about the social publishing site scribd ( you can
google it). Do you know anyone using it?
I shall, of course, google it. But meanwhile, do folks here have any experience of it, good or bad?

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Although piracy is rampant on it, many authors use it to good effect. E.g., Lynn Viehl

Deleted member 42

First of all, I'd like to see the raw version of that email. I think that theres something odd going on there, that isn't necessarily connected to Scribd, or to Harvard.

Scribd is not in Beta.

It has no connection to Harvard.

The email address in that email bounces as no such address at Harvard.

Scrbd is a hot bed of copyright violation. On the other hand, they have removed every file I've asked them to, immediately, after an email to the DMCA officer with evidence that the title wasn't legal.

It is used by a lot of people for perfectly legal ways to share files.

And display sites are stupid. Really stupid.

PollyWrites

Registered
Reaction score
When I posted that query I thought I was starting a new thread. It was a straightforward enquiry. I quoted my friend's email verbatim. I don't understand your responses CaoPaux and Medievalist.

Particularly Medievalist: I've no idea what you are talking about. Thanks for nothing.

I'm new on this site and thought perhaps I'd get some information in response to my question. Having googled Scribd, I can see I won't discover how it works without signing up ... which I'm unwilling to do.

If anyone else can offer some helpful information, I'd be more than grateful.

PollyWrites

Registered
Reaction score
Scribd

I posted this query twelve hours ago, but it came to rest halfway down somebodyelse's thread, for which I apologise.

I received the following enquiry from a friend,
What do you know about the social publishing site scribd ( you can
google it). Do you know anyone using it?
I have googled it, but the homepage doesn't explain much. I'm unwilling to sigh up. Meanwhile, do folks here have any experience of it, good or bad?

JulieB

I grow my own catnip
Registered
Reaction score
PollyWrites, I think there's a little confusion. Medievalist seems to be referring to the e-mail that kicked this thread off about three years ago. Scribd was indeed in beta then.

Yes, the pirates are onto Scribd, but from what I hear, they're pretty good at following up on takedown notices.

Our local newspaper uses Scribd to post PDF files of public documents - court and police records, items they get via open records requests, and so on.

I think Lee Goldberg tried placing some stories up on Scribd for sale. Here's the result of his experiment. I'm not sure if that's of any help to you, but I offer it up in case it provides some useful info.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
I posted this query twelve hours ago, but it came to rest halfway down somebodyelse's thread, for which I apologise.

I received the following enquiry from a friend,

I have googled it, but the homepage doesn't explain much. I'm unwilling to sigh up. Meanwhile, do folks here have any experience of it, good or bad?

It was merged with "somebody else's" thread because the forum policy is one thread per entity. This post will be merged as well.

Last edited:

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
When I posted that query I thought I was starting a new thread. It was a straightforward enquiry. I quoted my friend's email verbatim. I don't understand your responses CaoPaux and Medievalist.
What don't you understand about my response? You asked about Scribd, I told you about Scribd.

ETA: As for how Scribd works, what questions do you have that aren't answered on their About and FAQ pages?

Last edited:

PollyWrites

Registered
Reaction score
I guess it will be a little while before this newby works out how the site is organised: sorry if I caused offence.

Cao and JulieB, your comments were just what I wanted to help penetrate behind the public mask of the help pages. Thank you very much.

Williebee

Capeless, wingless, & yet I fly.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ifoundaknife.com
And now there is this, from the Guardian.
"Book sharing site Scribd rejects claims of copyright infringement"

Also from the article:

But while Scribd does not police the vast number of files on its site, it does take down any copyright-infringing material that is reported to it - in accordance with America's Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA).

And

However, while Scribd's approach has clearly antagonised some in the publishing industry, it has also impressed others. Earlier this year Simon & Schuster, one of the world's largest English-language publishers, signed a deal with the site that saw it sell digital copies of books by best-selling authors including Stephen King.

Sounds kind of like they are duplicating the growth cycle of something like Napster, only compressed, timewise.

Chumplet

This hat is getting too hot
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.chumpletwrites.blogspot.com
I found a page on Scribd with one of my books that had been returned to me by the publisher. I emailed my former publisher to ask how it should be taken down. It's possible it was a dead page, but I want to make sure it is no longer on the site.

hillaryjacques

Undercover, sort of...
Registered
Reaction score
I found a page on Scribd with one of my books that had been returned to me by the publisher. I emailed my former publisher to ask how it should be taken down. It's possible it was a dead page, but I want to make sure it is no longer on the site.

They've had a rash of pirated works up lately, Chumplet. The good news is that they're quick to take them down. Scroll down to the bottom of their page, click on "copyright" and follow their instructions for getting a DMCA notice to them quickly. They even provide a template.

iwannabepublished

working hard - hard at work?
Banned
Reaction score
Has anyone used Scribd?

I have my books available at Amazon, B&N, Smashwords, Goodreads and Kobo.

I just found another site and wonder if anyone has used it. Scribd looks like another avenue to sell books but I hesitate to use it without knowing anything about it. Any information will be most welcome. The Site is: http://scribd.com

iwannabepublished

working hard - hard at work?
Banned
Reaction score
I don't understand how my post got attached to the end of this thread, but however or whoever did it thank you so much. I'm glade I didn't pursue it before asking.

acockey

Bronies, Bronies Everywhere
Registered
Reaction score
Scribd: "Like Netflix for Books"

In linked article, that I skimmed, wired talks about this upstart company that's suppose to be the Netflix for books. I haven't really been one to jump on the Traditional Published Industry is dying raft, but if this becomes big I have the opinion that this will significantly change the industry.

http://www.wired.com/business/2013/10/scribd_book_subscription/

Torgo

Formerly Phantom of Krankor.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
torgoblog.blogspot.com
In linked article, that I skimmed, wired talks about this upstart company that's suppose to be the Netflix for books. I haven't really been one to jump on the Traditional Published Industry is dying raft, but if this becomes big I have the opinion that this will significantly change the industry.

http://www.wired.com/business/2013/10/scribd_book_subscription/

Netflix/Spotify for books has been talked about for so long... I'm sceptical. Scribd is an interesting company, but I wish them good luck getting rights.

Deleted member 42

Mostly I know Scribd from sending about DMCA notices for different books.

So I'm not gonna hold my breath.