• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

AuthorsDen

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
Which of those things couldn't you free of charge with, say, this forum and a blog? That isn't a smart ass comment. I knew many people pay to use these sites so I assume there must be something to it. But as you suggest to some extent, other writers go there but readers don't. My blog gets that many hits without any extra effort....

Beast

Registered
Reaction score
Which of those things couldn't you free of charge with, say, this forum and a blog? That isn't a smart ass comment. I knew many people pay to use these sites so I assume there must be something to it. But as you suggest to some extent, other writers go there but readers don't. My blog gets that many hits without any extra effort....

Sure - you may be right and well done on getting blog readership like that.
Now I have another web site, but it gets nowehere near the visits my Authorsden site does - so I was/am happy to pick up good visit levels with minimum effort on setup etc. I am also really pleased with the community aspect, which (and this time it's I who must say I'm not being a smartass!) is based on writing - not talking about writing.

This is a great site and of inestimable value to writers (a zillion thanks to all!), but the value proposition of Authorsden is a different one - it captures me in an entirely different way. As for the cost - it's minimal - I don't really notice the outlay.

I didn't mean to imply readers don't go there - although this would make much sense. They post a list of new readers continuously - I just said that my reviews have come from other writers.

Hope these opinions address your questions, for which I thank you.

All the best,
Keith

CinthiaX

Storyteller of epic absurdity
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Why? Please explain. From what I've seen, it's a good place for people to know that you exist. I got on it because it was recommended by James W Lewis. But if you've had some bad experience i'd like to hear about it. Thanks:)

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
The people you need to know your book exists are predominantly readers, not other authors. It is far more efficient to go to where the readers are.

Deleted member 42

Why? Please explain. From what I've seen, it's a good place for people to know that you exist. I got on it because it was recommended by James W Lewis. But if you've had some bad experience i'd like to hear about it. Thanks:)

1. The people who read, participate and comment on books at authorsden.com and other display sites are other writers. They aren't going to buy, publish or rep your book.

2. Commercial, professional, reputable publishers, editors, and agents don't have time to read their requested mss. They're not going to go looking at display sites for more books.

Here: read this about display sites:

http://www.sfwa.org/for-authors/writer-beware/services/#Display

http://www.sfwa.org/2012/02/publishers-desk-display-or-misplay/

http://howpublishingreallyworks.com/?p=2735

KAP

Hangin' with the gargies
Registered
Reaction score
Website
keithpyeatt.com
A strong caution regarding paid memberships

I have a warning regarding AuthorsDen. Last year I paid for a Bronze membership for a year. I didn't want to renew this year, but the only way to stop the automatic renewal process was to email them, which I did a week before my renewal date. I received a courteous same-day response telling me they would not charge my cc or renew my paid membership.

But they did. I emailed Authorsden with our past correspondence showing in the email, and they apologized and assured me they'd return the money. They emailed a couple days later telling me they'd reversed the charge to my cc.

But they didn't. I had to dispute the charge through my credit card company.

If I derived any benefit from the paid membership, it certainly hasn't been worth the hassle.

Last edited: