• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Bob Mecoy Literary Agency (formerly Creative Book Services)

DeadlyAccurate

Absolutely Fazed
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.carlaharker.com
CaoPaux, here's the link to the indexed thread originally for this agency.

Like I mentioned in that other thread, has anyone heard anything from Bob Mecoy? I sent a full manuscript (snail mail) at his request six months ago and asked for an update two months ago, and I haven't heard anything at all from him.

Agency link: http://www.bobmecoy.com/

Edit: That title should actually read Bob Mecoy Literary Agency. If someone would be so kind as to change it, I would appreciate it.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
He's made some large deals recently, so I'd say he's busy with current clients. I afraid it's up to you how long you're willing to wait for a response (allowing for the holidays, yadda, yadda).

Bealeblast

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.publishersmarketplace.com
me too

He asked me for a full proposal with all sorts of excitement ("oh hurry please") in his email, 3 mos ago, and never responded either. Seems like his habit.

RoccoMom

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.catsbooksmorecats.blogspot.com
Bob Mecoy Literary Agency

Has anyone ever heard/had dealings with Bob Mecoy Literary Agency? I tried to search this forum and it kept telling me that "Bob" was shorter than 4 letters so nothing came up. I checked Preditors and Editors, it has a $ sign and Recommended, just wondering if anyone had any personal experiences to share.

Thanks.

Memnon624

A Boy and his Orc . . .
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.scottoden.com
Bob is my agent, though I didn't come to him by the usual route (my editor referred me*) so I don't really know what his submission times are like. He's good about communicating, has years of editorial experience, and isn't afraid to go to the mat for his clients. And the sales that are reported are a small fraction of what he actually sells -- when I asked him about that, he said sometimes it's more prudent not to announce a sale to the world until later (reasoning behind this may vary).

I can't say enough good things about him.

Hope this helps ;)

Scott

*And what really impressed me was when I asked my editor for the names of agents he would recommend, the only name he gave me was Bob's.

Diane

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.nobody-knows-anything.com
Bob was wonderful during my (relatively short) dealings with him. I emailed him a query, he immediately responded with a request for the full. I mailed off the full on paper on Monday; by the following Sunday he had a detailed revise-and-resubmit email response. I've since signed with another agent, but Bob was fast, professional, and very specific in his notes, so I would recommend him.

Snagglepuss

Registered
Reaction score
Bob MeCoy

Does anyone know if Bob has recently sold fantasy novels to major publishers? I can't seem to find his sales anywhere. Thanks. :)

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Per his AQ page, he no longer represents fantasy (or science fiction).

Last edited:

fullbookjacket

Registered
Reaction score
I would not recommend this guy...my experience with him was lousy.

After requesting a full manuscript from me, he phoned me and said it was "terrific." He recommended a few changes and asked if I could trim it by about 10,000 words. I did so, sent it, he acknowledged receipt...and absolutely refused to respond after that. Not a peep. It's been a year and a half and I know he's still alive and kicking and representing people. So I consider this to be the absolute most unprofessional treatment I've yet received as a writer.

MsGneiss

Registered
Reaction score
It's surprising to read such conflicting opinions about Bob Mecoy on here. He requested my full today (a day after I queried him by email) with a great deal of enthusiasm and professionalism. I sent it his way momentarily.

I am curious to see how this turns out. My full is out with three other agents, but I think that Mr. Mecoy is my first choice.

Autumn28

Registered
Reaction score
Good Luck, I sent him my full the 27th of September. After six weeks I did a bad thing and asked him how it was going. I got a little nervous when I read the blogs about it taking soooo long to get a responce from him. Anyway he said he had just started reading it and would hopefully finish it that weekend...that was four weeks ago. I don't know if he has a problem with rejecting writers, or is just slow. Is it normal to take this long after getting the full MS?

transom-jumper

Registered
Reaction score
Timeliness is an Illusion

Bob Mecoy is a big time agent. The longer it sits, the longer optomism is alive. Literary agents dwell in a kingdom without time, gravity or fried cheese balls. Bob has always been very nice and polite when rejecting my works. Why rush these things? Bob rejected one of my novels by instant message based solely on a one paragraph description. His e-mail sizzled into my computer so fast it I swear it passed through a worm hole. So be careful what you wish for. I would've liked to have fantasized about my literary contract a wee bit longer. Good luck to you though. If you land him he's one of the best.

Transom-Jumper

Jawahara

Registered
Reaction score
Responses and rejections

I only sent mine in on November 21, so I guess I should get ready for a long wait. Oh well! Gives me something to hope for since an agent at Dystel requested my manuscript and then rejected it within 3 days. Either he's a really fast reader or he couldn't bear to read past page 2. Currently four agents, including Bob are reading my manuscript. I'm hoping *all* the rejections don't come back until the new year. At least this way my Christmas season can be hopeful. Bah!

transom-jumper

Registered
Reaction score
Good Luck

Four agents giving it a read can't be bad. I hope you get picked.
Transom-Jumper
p.s. The quick rejects may never have made it to page 2. I've gone to a writer's conference where one agent admitted to tossing a complete ms. after disliking the first line of a cover letter. That was on requested material. Some of the other agents present at that forum weren't so grouchy and usually read a page or two before giving up on a novel. All of them said they knew if they liked the tone of the novel after a few sentences.

Autumn28

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks transom-jumper that really makes me feel a little better. You're right about watching what you wish for. I'll stay on the side of ignorant bliss for now. As for Jawahara that is awesome! I have only had two requests so far but I've stopped submitting for now, waiting on Bob. good luck

Jawahara

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks Transom jumper and Autumn28. After a while the querying and rejecting gets to be soul sucking, so it's really good to have this forum. Autumn28, good luck with you and Bob as well.

Thanks for the info Transome jumper. You confirmed what I thought.

fullbookjacket

Registered
Reaction score
I have only had two requests so far but I've stopped submitting for now, waiting on Bob.

Oooh. I would advise against suspending your other submissions while waiting on Bob. I made that same mistake.

I never heard from him again.

Autumn28

Registered
Reaction score
I think I need the mental break anyway, I just got another request for my full MS and was happy for like 12 seconds before I did the homework and sending it...another fraud wanting money just for signing on with them, no reading fees though...HA. Beware of Mocknick Productions Literary Agency, Inc Kay.

Prawn

Writing is finite,revising infinite
Registered
Reaction score
Hi!

I just signed with Bob Mecoy. Here's the timeline: E-query sent on 10/29, he replied about twenty minutes later requesting the full. His offer came on Dec 1 via a telephone call. Yea me!

Prawn