• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Our Novel

victoriastrauss

Writer Beware Goddess
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.victoriastrauss.com
http://ournovel5.blogspot.com/

In which an anonymous "editor" solicits contributions from writers for a collaborative novel.

What's wrong with this picture?

- Who the heck is the editor? Why is s/he doing this? No hint of an explanation.

- What's in this for the writers? Again, no explanation.

- What are the terms and conditions of use? Again, no explanation.

- What will be the fate of this project, once complete? You guessed it--no explanation.

So exactly why should writers trust this anonymous person to use their contributions ethically? You tell me.

- Victoria

TwentyFour

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Sounds way too fishy...probably only give authors credit in a dedication or thank you page and he will use their ideas for his own use.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Not to mention s/he's spamming every writing-related blogspot s/he can find.
action-smiley-002.gif

Celia Cyanide

Joker Groupie
Registered
Reaction score
It sounds like noveltwists all over again. Not really a scam, but a writing exercise gone horrible wrong. Perhaps someone like victoria, who has knowledge and experience, could ask this person why they identify as "published and anonymous"?

Gravity

Seen 'em come, seen 'em go
Registered
Reaction score
Once you've heard the truth, everything else is ju
Maybe it's somebody's version of Atlanta Nights? (but without the coherent plot :D ). Anyway, ya got me. What's truly astounding is someone already posted their first entry on the site. Quick, Watson, something whacky is afoot...

JerseyGirl1962

I heart Malamutes! :-)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
CaoPaux said:
Not to mention s/he's spamming every writing-related blogspot s/he can find.
action-smiley-002.gif

Ah - I thought I saw that on one of the agent blogs.

~Nancy

kjh7073

I Need a Clever Title :)
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kjhamilton.net
writers have to give up ALL rights once they've submitted??

You have got to be kidding, right?

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
JerseyGirl1962 said:
Ah - I thought I saw that on one of the agent blogs.

~Nancy
Yeeeup. To whit:

Hello!

I am SO sorry to use these comments to plug, but this is the best place to attract wonderful writers.

I wish to invite any and all of you to help participate in a FUN, FREE, and challenging writing project. It will be a great exercise in writing adaptability, creativity, and flexibility.

Please check out my blog for details!
http://ournovel5.blogspot.com/

Our Novel Editor

soloset

'bye
Registered
Reaction score
This actually looks like it might be fun, now that there are clearly defined terms and conditions. Not something I'd personally participate in, but I could see the appeal. Especially if a real community starts up around it.

6) The copyright in all material contained within the Or Novel Blog website belongs to the editor

Including comments, I wonder?

UrsusMinor

Registered
Reaction score
kjh7073 said:
writers have to give up ALL rights once they've submitted??

No, you get to keep the right to remain silent and the right to have an attorney present.

aruna

On a wing and a prayer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sharonmaas.co.uk
Julie Worth said:
Anonymous is in desperate need of an editor (among other things).

I kind of feel sorry for him; I think this one is a pretty harmless exercize, and it'll get people writing, at least. He's not nearly as pompous as others with this idea have been. At least he's not running an auction for the right to write!

JeanneTGC

I *am* Catwoman...and Gini Koch
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ginikoch.com
So, am I reading that right, that he's basically calling for entries for what I'd consider a Round Robin or a Role Playing Game? And without giving any form or structure, a coherent novel will emerge?

Maybe it's just the way I'm interpreting them, but his terms and conditions seem suspect to me. He will own whatever pieces he picks for "Our Story", and that means he'll also own any profits from them...say if he actually got a good chapter/story/idea from someone else, he could legitimately claim it as "his".

Of course, I won't be surprised if he's innundated with responses. "It'll be Our Book...and one day I might even tell you My Name."

aruna

On a wing and a prayer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sharonmaas.co.uk
Celia Cyanide said:
It sounds like noveltwists all over again. Not really a scam, but a writing exercise gone horrible wrong. Perhaps someone like victoria, who has knowledge and experience, could ask this person why they identify as "published and anonymous"?

That's my take on it. He just sounds very naive.
(edited to add: I wrote that before I read the updated blog, with the added terms and Conditions and Victoria's question. Now he doesn;t sound so naive after all.)

Last edited:

JeanneTGC

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ginikoch.com
My take is that he might be naive, but he sounds more like a shyster. I read the terms and conditions closely, and they seem very suspicious to me. This is one place where I would feel a guarantee that intellectual property would be at risk.

Is Jaws around to comment?

JeanneTGC

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ginikoch.com
Oh, interesting. I only looked at it tonight. And, I'm with you completely about the blog part -- the blog part sounds very naive and excited about this new idea. But those t's and c's sound rather less naive. And most people won't read those t's and c's, until it's too late.

I truly look forward to Jaws' comments, if he swims on by.

Birol

Around and About
Registered
Reaction score
My gut tells me that all AWers should steer very clear of that alleged-writing exercise. It's not going to be fun for the participants at all.

victoriastrauss

Writer Beware Goddess
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.victoriastrauss.com
Tilda said:
So writers give up all rights for their text and get no compensation? If the novel is not expected to get published, why does s/he demand the rights? If the novel gets pubbed, this person gets all compensation? Not to mention you're expected to give your rights to an anonymous person (how can you even do that?).
Exactly. The chances that anything publishable will result are slim, but even as a frivolous exercise I'd be wary of participating in something that explicitly required me to give up my rights. I mean, why would you even have such a provision if you weren't planning to do something with the writings?

Maybe this is a cheap way for someone to get other people to come up with ideas for him or her.

- Victoria