• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Wildside Press / Fantasy Magazine

Atomic Bear

the Bruin of Tomorrow™
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.atomicbearpress.com
There seem to be a lot of these nitch market mags. There is also Fairy magazine and Pirate Magazine.

This one seems odd that there professional email is a Gmail account, but scams can have official seeming emails too.

There email says Prime Books which could be: http://www.primebooks.net/, both work with fantasy stories.

MacAllister

'Twas but a dream of thee
Staff member
Boss Mare
Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
They're publishing some very good writers, both newish and established. I subscribe--it's an attractive pub. I haven't heard even a whisper of anything that would lead me to believe they aren't completely legit. I've only heard one grumble that they were a little slow with contributor copies--hardly damning.

Last edited:

eqb

I write novels
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.claireodell.com
Fantasy Magazine is entirely legit. It's a semi-pro magazine, not a niche magazine, and is run by Sean Wallace from Prime Books, a respected small press publisher. Issue #5 was just reviewed here, among other places.

MacAllister

Staff member
Boss Mare
Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
Ah, perfect! Thanks, Beth! I was just out digging around for reviews I could post links to.

Alan Yee

Still Here!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Fantasy Magazine is a cool new magazine with a bunch of cool stories by a bunch of cool writers I like, and I hope it sticks around long enough for me to get something published there. I have the first issue, which I loved, and I'm thinking about ordering the rest of the issues I missed.

So yes, semi-pro, and completely legit.

MacAllister

Staff member
Boss Mare
Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
Alan, I've really loved the content, too--they're publishing the kinds of stories I love to read, and have always wanted more of and couldn't find, with other pubs.

WildScribe

Slave to the Wordcount
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Sounds like a fun place to submit!

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
FYI - Prime Books is part of Wildside Press (along with Point Blank, Cosmos Books, & Juno Books).

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Leading SF/F publisher.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
I'll bet I was thinking "spreading". I plead too much eggnog. *hic*

For anyone looking to submit to any of Wildside's imprints and/or magazines, start here: Guidelines

oldcharliebrown

The Fantasy Magazine website is now updated, with a more permanent face. Issue 5 should be in people's hands in a few weeks, I'd imagine. I'm working on the next issue, next week.

For those that like to keep track of developments I occasionally run updates at oldcharliebrown.livejournal.com

If anyone has any questions, please let me know.

Sean

batgirl

Writting broad
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
bmlgordon.com
I've been rejected by them. It was a thoughtful and personal rejection. The blog is a good read, with insights into the workings of a small press. They've picked up some of the series that Luna dropped in the move to more urban fantasy.
They're part of Wildside, who may already have a thread ... nope. Okay, they're mentioned in passing on the Fantasy Magazine thread.
-Barbara

Gary Clarke

Knackered
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.celinekiernan.com
I haven't a clue what they're like to work with or do business with, but I can tell you that I was also rejected by them and like Batgirl says, it was a very thoughtful, personal, and extremely encouraging rejection. If nothing else Paula Guran has a lovely manner and seems to genuinely want to do her best for the writer.

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
My critique pal was offered a deal with them with a small advance for a parallel worlds romance/adventure fantasy

Saanen

Registered
Reaction score
My local B&N has a number of Juno titles on the shelves, at least in the SF/Fantasy section.

Stacia Kane

Girl Detective
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.staciakane.com
My urban fantasy Personal Demons will be released with them in April, and I have nothing but good things to say about them so far--their contract is great, edits are well thought out, and they've been very helpful in terms of promo etc. Plus I find their books in stores here in the UK too.

MissLadyRae

I vaahnt to suck your blaahd
Registered
Reaction score
A fellow writer friend of mine is pubbed with them and she has great things to say. I also received a gracious rejection from Paula and told her I would love to sub again to them in the near future and said please do. I love love love their covers. So beautiful. :)

Definitely check out their blog for some good info on some publishing 'behind the scenes' infobits and what they're looking for in submissions.