• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

The Cypher Agency (James R. Cypher)

Sharman

Just wanted to see if anyone has any experience working withe Jim Cypher. I know he's legit, just looking for input on how he is to work with, etc.

arkady

Registered
Reaction score
Julie Worth said:
Here's an interview with him on this website.

This part of it wasn't exactly encouraging news:

Jim Cypher, respected New York literary agent, discontinued representing fiction due to the poor fiction market as well as competition from increasing numbers of competent new authors.

Roger J Carlson

Moderator In Name Only
Registered
Reaction score
arkady said:
This part of it wasn't exactly encouraging news:
On the other hand, he DID say there are "increasing numbers of competent new authors". If there weren't markets, the number of competent authors wouldn't be increasing.

Julie Worth

What? I have a title?
Registered
Reaction score
Roger J Carlson said:
On the other hand, he DID say there are "increasing numbers of competent new authors". If there weren't markets, the number of competent authors wouldn't be increasing.

I don't see the connection. What I've heard, the number of writers will one day exceed the number of readers. This is a bit nonsensical, of course, but it is the trend.

Sharman

Thanks, Julie

And for all you fiction writers out there - you have my sympathy. First, I don't see how you do what you do (NF seems much easier to me). And while it's hard to get anything published these days, NF is at least easier than fiction.

gettingby

Registered
Reaction score
Has anyone had any recent experience with him? Thanks.

gettingby

Registered
Reaction score
I just wanted to bump this up and ask again if anyone knew more about this guy. Also wondering about response times if anyone has had experience. Thanks.

donroc

Historicals and Horror rule
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.donaldmichaelplatt.com
I went to grad school with Cypher. He was editor of the school literary magazine that published my short story, and he was president of our Creative Writing Club there. I had not thought of him in years until I came across his site while looking for representation. Last November, I sent him an email announcing the release of my horror novel plus personal stuff and questions about mutual club members. I received no reply. Yes, it does not look good.

gettingby

Registered
Reaction score
Victoria - What does that mean that his PM page is gone?

victoriastrauss

Writer Beware Goddess
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.victoriastrauss.com
A PM page, like a website, is part of an agent's professional presence on the Internet. Letting either lapse or get stale suggests that the agent may not be doing much business, or may be out of business entirely.

- Victoria

nicolesingslave

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score
Website
nicolesingslave.buzznet.com
Just an update. I receive this email.

From: The Cypher Agency [mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of The Cypher Agency
Sent: 2011-Feb-23 10:44 AM
To: [email protected]
Subject: The death of my father - Ffrom James L. Cypher (Jr.)

My father, Jim Cypher, passed away Thursday Feb. 17th 2011.

Hello-

Near 10am Thursday Feb 17th my father James R. Cypher passed away here at home. I found him on his bed when I returned from work at 5:30. We lived together the past couple years since he had his open heart surgery. They were the best times of my life as I was able to spend real quality time with him as two bachelor roomies...

His obituary appears here http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/poughkeepsiejournal/obituary.aspx?n=james-r-cypher&pid=148747231

"The family will receive their friends for a memorial visitation Wednesday February 23, 2011 between 6 and 9PM at Libby Funeral Home, 55 Teller Ave Beacon, NY."

Before that from noon on people will be here at the apartment we shared on 2 Schenck Ave. in Beacon NY. After the memorial service we are going tooe's Irish Pub 455 Mian St. in Beacon for food and drinks.

I apologize for the delay in notifying you on his email contact list as the past few days have been a blur and although I knew I had to tackle his virtual online world with the same determination and energy I did his physical world, sorting through boxes, etc.

If you are a client of my father's literary agency then I will be helping my step-mother with tax and financial related issues with you, 2010 1099's, royalty payments, etc. Please contact me after tomorrow's memorial service.

My fathers cremated remains will eventually return to the family plot in Connellsville PA.

In the obituary donations are being accepted at the Howland Cultural Center in Beacon where my dad taught his first photography class many, many years ago when I was in high school. He supported a number of very worthy causes and it tells you about him... the Beacon Theater, Fovea, the ACLU, Journalists Without Borders and many more...

Help me remember my dad in whatever way you can.
(I can't believe he had so many contacts in his email...!)
He was truly surrounded by love and he was so very active in things that interested him... and the people, you.

Sincerely,

James L. Cypher
617-281-4616 - Old Boston Cell #

--
Jim Cypher
Cypher Digital Imaging
Event Photography
2 Schenck Ave., Studio 2
Beacon, NY 12508-2818
Landline: (845) 831-2609
Mobile: (845) 591-3335

I have no answers, just questions...

You were in my dad's Gmail contact list.

Last edited by a moderator: