What is the worst movie you've ever seen?

poetinahat

say it loud
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Okay, this is good -- I'm on both sides of the divide now. I liked Prospero's Books. (I don't like all Greenaway, but that one, I liked.)

Mom'sWrite

Service with a smile
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.returnengagement.blogspot.com
poetinahat said:
Okay, this is good -- I'm on both sides of the divide now. I liked Prospero's Books. (I don't like all Greenaway, but that one, I liked.)

Well, you have a lot of explaining to do, buddy.
(Starting with, what was up with the cherubim peeing in the pool? That's just incomprehensible to me. And there's more, way, way more that needs illumination here.)

poetinahat

say it loud
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
*shrug* It's Greenaway. It's a sensory feast -- or sensual gluttony, depending on how you look at it. I don't remember the scene, but I remember just thinking impressions were more important than making sense -- as with Fellini films. (Amarcord's a favorite of mine.) Maybe a lot of it was seeing it in a fantastic cinema, where the ushers handed out libretti on the way in.

It's been probably 15 years since I saw Prospero, actually; wonder if I'd still like it now. Worth my trying, especially since I've seen other Greenaway films and not been so impressed.

triceretops

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
guerrillawarfareforwriters.blogspot.com
Will someone please tell me what happend to Hulk? A bad CG character leaping miles at a time over the screen. Most of our comic heroes have done fairly well on the screen. Couldn't find any humanity in the big green guy. They had their chance and tanked it.

Could the themes and plot of A Tale of Two Kitties be so underused that they HAD to do it again? Nothing original here. Hate that fat bastid, wise-cracking cat anyway. The Hedge had it beat hands down.

Mortal Combat, fa gawd's sakes. How many times can a four-armed giant genie raise his arms and roar? The fight scenes where everybody's hitting the gravel certainly saved on special effects--they didn't have to choreograph ANY physical confrontations. Just show all the losers hitting the gravel from different camera angles.

Tri

Mom'sWrite

Service with a smile
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.returnengagement.blogspot.com
Good luck, young Obiwon.

If you come away still liking it, I will take that as proof positive that your level of dementia is greater than mine. (Everyone here will still love you though, they're weird like that.)

For those that haven't a clue what we're talking about; Prospero's Books is Dali-esque, art house film of Shakespeare's "The Tempest."

Maybe I hated it because I wasn't adequately medicated at the time of viewing. Yeah, that's it.

Let me know what you think. I'm interested to hear your impressions.

TrickyFiction

Who?
Registered
Reaction score
Ronin. I remember timing the car chases for fun. We couldn't care less how they turned out.

Also, the new Star Wars movies. I think it was a combination of things with those, including my high expectations. The screenplays were... godawful. No child EVER actually says, "Yippee."

Reaction score
Blair Witch Project.

I was literally banging my head against the wall of the theater, praying for it to end.

pepperlandgirl

American Aquarium Drinker
Registered
Reaction score
Star Wars: Whatever the crappy 3rd Prequel was called.

I did not like The Phantom Menace or Attack of the Clones at all, but it was more of a passive dislike. You know, "I can't believe I sat through that but I'll get over...ooh! there's something shiney!" But the 3rd movie? It was so relentlessly cynical and offensive to my intelligence that I was really left to wonder why George Lucas hated the world so much. I think a movie like whatever that prequel was called (seriously my mind blocked it) could only be created by a disgustingly greedy, shallow, misanthropic mind with a very low opinion for his audience.

And of course, whenever I say this, people always inform me it was the best of the 3. No, it wasn't. Regardless of how bad the other two movies were, they didn't rely on the audience's stupidity and blatant emotional manipulation to carry whatever passed for a story in Lucas' addled mind. I was literally laughing hysterically in the theater by the end of the film, partially out of self-defense, partially because I was genuinely amused, partially because it was either laugh or cry (for those missing hours of my life).

The so-called motivations that didn't exist (or at most were about as deep Paris Hilton after getting baked), the sub-sub-par dialogue, the too-stupid-to-live decisions, the fact that Padme died of a broken heart even as her children were being born, the lack of anything resembling coherency, the lack of truly sympathetic characters, the inept-to-the-point-of-painful directing, the reliance on wide-scale slaughter to invoke emotion in the audience instead of silly things like character development or a plot that made sense, the reliance on special effects to keep people awake. The soulless fight scenes that went on for far too long. The way I rolled my eyes at the so called "emotional" scenes that looked like what a 12 year old emotionally stunted boy would consider moving. The destruction of Darth Vader's character. The low point in Ewan McGregor's career when he hung on to whatever remained of his dignity with the same tenacity Nimoy had in Star Trek V.

In conclusion, I'm not a fan.
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000191/

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
screenmom said:
IThe worst of the worst I've seen was "Prospero's Books." Betcha I'm the only one to admit to watching the whole thing. Yeah, I'm that demented.
Also, The Cook, the Thief, His Wife and Her Lover, which I think was done by the same people.

BrianTubbs

Registered
Reaction score
Revolution

wyzguy said:
ooh ooh! How about Revolution? 4.5/10 on IMDB. Probably the WORST Al Pacino movie ever.

I agree, and I'm a huge Revolutionary War buff. Revolution is the worst movie ever made about the American Revolution, the worst made w/ Al Pacino, and one of the worst movies of all time.

BrianTubbs

Registered
Reaction score
New Star Wars movies not that bad

I will agree that the new Star Wars trilogy films qualify as having among the worst scripts in modern movie history. The dialogue in the films was absolutely awful. The "love story" dialogue in Attack of the Clones was like nails on the chalk board. And Anakin's turn to Vader was, shall we say, less than credible.

However.....the special effects, several of the characters, the atmospheric feel, and the fact that they were Star Wars saved the films from utter ruin.

Oh...and you just gotta love lightsabers! :)

Julie Worth

What? I have a title?
Registered
Reaction score
English Patient
Lisztmania
Sophie's Choice

Mars Attacks
The Blair Witch Project
Sin City

It’s probably unfair to name these, since I suffered through them. There were so many more that I walked out on and instantly forgot.

Last edited:

BrianTubbs

Registered
Reaction score
Costner

I'd have to vote for Kevin Costner's Waterworld and The Postman as being among the worst movies of the last twenty years.

Julie Worth

What? I have a title?
Registered
Reaction score
BrianTubbs said:
I'd have to vote for Kevin Costner's Waterworld and The Postman as being among the worst movies of the last twenty years.

For a long time I thought Costner's best performance was in The Big Chill, where he was the dead guy.

Julie Worth

What? I have a title?
Registered
Reaction score
Ol' Fashioned Girl said:
Who can forget the classic Kingdom of the Spiders and the equally insipid White Commanche?

While we're on spiders, Kiss of the Spider Woman was execrable.

icerose

Lost in School Work
Registered
Reaction score
It's interesting, some of my favorite films are on some people's worst list. Just shows it's all according to individual tastes.

I agree with Brian Tubbs on Star Wars. The CG and such saved it, had it been any other film series and lesser graphics it would have sunk. The light saber battles were some of my favorite scenes because at least there was no dialog. :D

kitt

charmingly neurotic...
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to the Dollhouse...I remember really loathing that one.

WackAMole

WTF?!?!
Registered
Reaction score
Blair Witch -

This story was so hyped up. The absolute best marketing campaign for a low budget film I've ever seen.

I was so ticked off and motion sick by the time I finished watching it that I ALMOST asked for my money back.

Im a horror fan and there was only one scene at the end of this movie that was even remotely creepy. BLECH

Julie Worth

What? I have a title?
Registered
Reaction score
Ohhhh, I almost forgot to include Borat. After that nude wrestling scene, I'm going to need therapy.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I didn't actually see it (thank God) . . . but I can guess that Can't Stop the Music with the Village People could probably safely be listed in this category.

Branwyn

Print release:Sept.1,'09
Registered
Reaction score
Sophie's Choice????

I love that movie, such a tear jerker! I loved Manhattan Murder Mystery, too.

Of course, Plan 9 From Outer Space, is the worst.

That George Clooney movie Sol-something or other.(Love George though)
Life Aquatic
There are a lot of stinkers out there.

crashbam

Registered
Reaction score
Hudson Hawk with Bruce Willis was unbearable. It made me want to stick needles in my eyes. Not even so bad it was funny, like Attack of the Killer Tomatoes was.

Jaws 3d made me want to fly to Hollywood and open up a can of whoop ass on who ever wrote the screenplay. I can't believe Dennis Quaid was ever allowed to star in another movie after that. And the director must have had compromising photo's of Lou Gossett Jr.

Godfather III I hated Sophia Copola so much in this movie that I refuse to see Lost in Translation. I actually cheered in the movie theater when her character died. Pacino's "grief" was laughable. Way to ruin a great series of movies Francis.