• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

[Agent] Antony Harwood Ltd. (UK)

SJAB

Being edited for submission
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.susanjboulton.com
I have been rejected by them, does that count?

From what I have heard it's a solid agency.

I suggest you look at the list of authors on their site and see the quality, and which publishers said author's work has been sold too. You can cross check the author's work on the publishers' sites/amazon/in a book shop if you are so inclined,

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
I have also been rejected by them.
Solidly reputable agency with a good client list.

Carmy

Banned
Reaction score
Many thanks for the feedback.

They looked good to me when I explored their site but it's always nice to know if anyone has anything against the agency.

Girl Friday

Word Wrangler
Registered
Reaction score
Queried J0 Williams0n earlier this month and got a full request the next day. Fingers crossed!

This thread hasn't had any movement forever - anyone (particularly clients) have any recent dealings with them? Thanks.

Satchan

Cake or death?
Registered
Reaction score
Girl Friday, what age is your book aimed at, just out of curiosity? I have a YA manuscript, and was wondering whether to query Williamson, Harwood, or Lockhart.

Their website says to send them "a brief outline"...I'm assuming that means a query letter? Or do they also want a synopsis?

Girl Friday

Word Wrangler
Registered
Reaction score
Hi Satchan, it's an MG. I just sent a query, and, because they didn't specifically say not to, I pasted the first few pages in too. Good luck!

Girl Friday

Word Wrangler
Registered
Reaction score
Queried: 22/05
Full request: 23/05
Nudged: 10/8
Nudged with offer: 29/8
Offered rep: 2/9

In the end I went with a different agency, but I both spoke to Jo on the phone and met her in person, and she was INCREDIBLY nice and enthusiastic - I wouldn't hesitate to recommend her to anyone looking for an agent for YA or kidlit.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Hmm? Ah. Thread title's right, but not the Index. Will fix, thanks!

atwhatcost

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
All but the landing page is gone on the website. Is this a fluke, or aren't they taking queries from unknowns anymore?

stephds

Registered
Reaction score
Hello, I was just wondering whether anyone had any recent experience with Antony Harwood Literary Agency? https://antonyharwood.com/

Their website has been 'being updated' for more than a year. I emailed them today asking if they were taking submissions and they got back to me right away saying yes, which if anything made me even more suspicious! The email wasn't signed off by a named person either

I know of some writers represented by AH, but only one of their agents appears to have an active online presence and she doesn't link to the website listed above. Does anyone know if the website link I put earlier in this post is legitimate? I might just be being really paranoid, but something feels a bit weird to me.

Thanks in advance!

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Have you searched for them by name, seeking other, perhaps legitimate, websites? It does feel off for a business that needs a website to be "coming soon" for so long.

But if that's actually their website... I would not consider an agency that does not have a working website for more than a year. That alone suggests the absence of business acumen. You want an agency that has its shit together better than that.

I will add that every mention of the agency I'm finding on a fast and shallow search does suggest that he's a legitimate and active agent, but I'd still be all Nope.

Reactions: Brigid Barry

Unimportant

No COVID yet. Still masking.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
There's already a thread on this agency HERE. I'll ask a mod to merge the threads.

@stephds, as per the personalised notification at the top of this board, please check the index before starting a new thread.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
It's not unheard of to keep a domain strictly for email purposes.

ETA: Threads merged.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It's not unheard of to keep a domain strictly for email purposes.
That's interesting. So some agents/agencies do not have their own websites for, say, those who wish to submit to know what they're seeking, but rely on their listings at other websites they don't control?

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
That's interesting. So some agents/agencies do not have their own websites for, say, those who wish to submit to know what they're seeking, but rely on their listings at other websites they don't control?
My last agent had no web site. She's got some big names, but I found communication with her difficult. Take that for what it's worth.

Reactions: Maryn

stephds

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for your responses everyone! I'm pretty confident that Antony Harwood is a reputable agency, but I think you're right in that an agency that doesn't have a website for more than a year is a bit of a red flag... and certainly not that fussed about taking on any new authors.

I shall look elsewhere :)