hunting season widows?

Stew21

Registered
Reaction score
My husband is an avid bass fisherman and deer hunter. I am often (in season) what is referred to as a hunting or fishing widow.
He has a couple of magazine subscriptions about these sports (Field and Stream, Bassmasters, etc).

I'm curious if anyone could tell me, do you think that there is a place in these sorts of magazines for a humorous essay, or perhaps recipes for wild game? I have a couple of article ideas for two magazines in particular, and am curious if anyone knows what they are looking for enough to tell me if writing a humor essay for one of them would be something they would consider. Are they strictly the how-to's articles or do you think a bit of humor from the wife's perspecive might be well-received?

thoughts?

Thanks

Last edited:

aka eraser

Fish Whisperer
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.frankbaron.com
Hiya Trish. Humour (even without the "u") is always in demand. That doesn't make it an easy sell though. Check out the mags' guidelines, primarily for length requirements and the correct editor's name. For the most part, humour pieces don't need to be queried. Just send them in with a short cover letter.

I've never subbed a recipe but I've certainly seen many in various outdoor mags over the years. Again, checking guidelines or flipping through a few issues should tell you whether a particular mag would be interested.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Little Red Barn

haz own threads
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hello Trish, I too am the wife of the great hunter...From Aug til Feb...all I can see in my husbands eyes are running deer. And there is talk of extending the season...yikes! My hubby as well as his friends all read FUR-FISH-Game magazine. He looks anxiously for his new monthly edition. This is really a nice well rounded mag, heck I even enjoy the stories in it. www.furfishgame.com Hope this helps, kimmi
ps, Hey Trish maybe you could speak to the editor and become a liason, for the wives of all these hunters; supplying receipes, other advice and info with your own monthly piece...I know I would like that in his magazine...just a thought..

Last edited:

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
hunting

What's really cool is that hunting season and pro football season run at the same time. My wife is a double window, but doesn't complain. Since I work out of the home, we can use the time apart.

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
My hubby likes to play with his bow and arrows and pretends to bow hunt. That's okay. I'm the football fanatic in the family so golf and hunting keeps him out of my hair during football season.

MichelD

Registered
Reaction score
Hmmm

My wife is a duck hunting widow about two days a week, but she's the one that said several years ago when I was complaining about the brevity of deer season:

"Why don't you hunt ducks, they're open until the end of January?"

When I said I didn't own a shotgun she said "Get one."

Last edited:

Stew21

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies!
I have a new recipe I recently made up with venison. Of course I made it up as I cooked it and it was really great (even my 2 year old ate it!) I think I am going to send that to Cabela's.
And after Christmas I will start working on the humor pieces I had in mind!

thanks for the input! Much appreciated!

Trish

Little Red Barn

haz own threads
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Stew21 said:
Thanks for all the replies!
I have a new recipe I recently made up with venison. Of course I made it up as I cooked it and it was really great (even my 2 year old ate it!) I think I am going to send that to Cabela's.
And after Christmas I will start working on the humor pieces I had in mind!

thanks for the input! Much appreciated!

Trish

Oh Oh Trish, send it to me too, please...I always need new receipes, hugs kimmi

Silver King

Megalops Erectus
Registered
Reaction score
If there's one thing many outdoor magazines lack is stories from female writers. The best ones I've seen sympathize with the males' plight, yet bring strong feminine perspectives to counter-balance most gender issues that arise in the field and at home.

And when you add humor, well, often it's a winning touch.

MJK

Registered
Reaction score
Two of the most popular columns ever run in Mid Atlantic Fly Fishing Guide have been written by women. One was humorous and the other is a fitness column.