Stupid things non-writers say

Status
Not open for further replies.

sassandgroove

Sassy haircut
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
My mother was for a long time fond of saying "So when are going to be done playing?" Playing was always her code word for writing. This continued on until my day job started paying me more then she makes. Now she won't talk about my writing at all.
That's sad. I don't get that kind of thing.
I don't show my writing to my mother anymore. I wrote a script for a class that expanded on an idea I'd had in highschool, and I thought it was good, and my professor thought it was good, and he actually worked in the film industry, but she said, "Your still writing about THAT?!" Like it was stinky slime or something unworthy of her. She complains that I won't show her anything, but I just say it isn't finished.

SaronaNalia

Registered
Reaction score
Them: What do you write?
Me: Mostly short stories.
Them: Oh. So you're not a real writer then.

Yasaibatake

is her own imaginary friend
Registered
Reaction score
On a blind date last night:

Date: So I hear you're a writer. What do you write?
Me: Mostly historical fiction, but I dabble in other genres too. Right now I'm working on a fantasy novel.
Date: What's fantasy?
Me: Well there's a lot of different kinds of fantasy, but think Lord of the Rings.
Date: Oh, so like teenager books?
Me: ...um, no, not really...
Date: So how do you get published? It must be really easy, because most books are crap.
Me: Um, no, not really. When I'm ready, I'll start sending it around to agents, and they sell my book to the publishing houses.
Date: And the only way to get an agent is to be published already, right?
Me: No, they judge you based on the book you wrote. If it's good, they don't care if you've never been published before.
Date: What? You have to send in the whole book and wait for them to read it? That must take forever.
Me: No, you just send a letter and the first couple chapters. Then they decide if they want to read the whole thing or not.
Date: I know! Why don't you just print the whole thing on bright orange paper! That way, it'll stand out from the pile and they'll read it faster!
Me: *headdesk* That's not really considered professional.
Date: Well, I don't think they're very professional, if they're publishing all that crap every year instead of anything good.
Me: *wants to fall through the floor and die*

Later on he insisted that "all good books are written at 2am with cigarettes and whisky, like the Russians", The Catcher in the Rye isn't really a novel, and (my personal favorite), James Joyce never needed to edit, so I shouldn't have to either. Uh, I have no idea if Joyce edited or not, but I definitely need to!

uncommonspirit

taking the road less traveled by...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
nowastedink.com
This isn't so much a stupid statement than a stupid idea. Non-writers have an idea that writing takes a lot of time but if I say I'm busy writing and can't do something else, they're surprised. It's as if I can do both at the same time or writing is less important than anything else.

To be fair, in the everyday world it is possible to multi-task your work with other tasks. Most people do not realize that creative art takes place in parts of the brain that should not be disturbed during the process. That zen-like feeling where stories spring up from. Not having experienced it, they have no concept.

This attitude is not just for writers, but for every type of artist. If a person doesn't have the spark that drives to create, they will never truly understand. We are like creatures from another world to them. I think that artists also tend to not accept the scheduled thinking of the corporate world, we march to our own drummers. Another gap between us. In the corporate world, worth is measured by money and power. In the artist community, worth is measured by what you create. Two ideas that don't quite mesh.

I find that I just take a deep breath and remind myself that these non-creative people are my possible future customers. Their function is to buy. :) Mine is to create.

SomethingOrOther

-
Registered
Reaction score
Later on he insisted that "all good books are written at 2am with cigarettes and whisky, like the Russians", The Catcher in the Rye isn't really a novel, and (my personal favorite), James Joyce never needed to edit, so I shouldn't have to either. Uh, I have no idea if Joyce edited or not, but I definitely need to!

Joyce revised painstakingly.

randi.lee

Certified Non-Genius
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.rlwrites.com
When I was a teenager I told an adult friend that I was planning on majoring in English. The person replied, "Why? Isn't that like getting a degree in what you already learned in high school?" That was a lovely thing to say to a kid with dreams.

Luciamaria

Registered
Reaction score
"You should be doing a beauty-therapy course or something. Stop wasting your time."

The most recent and stupidest thing I've ever heard. ;)

PulpDogg

I should be writing
Registered
Reaction score
Years and years ago, I showed my dad something I wrote. I waited til he was finished and was eagerly awaiting his response ...

"Well ... so you wrote something" was all he said.

Granted the piece in question wasn't that great but ... yeah.

Nowadays I don't show him anything, but that is because I am writing in English now and he doesn't speak the language :).

Other than my siblings and my dad nobody in my family knows I write ... so the comments are pretty much non-existent. My friends are supportive, some are writers themselves ...

Blake M. Petit

Geek Pundit
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.evertimerealms.com
On my Facebook "author" page, I asked my readers a question about eBooks. I got the following as a reply:

"I download ebooks for free. Bless torrents and online pdf files. XD"

Then this person "liked" her own reply.

And her profile picture is her giving a thumbs-up.

I would forgive all of Mark Zuckerberg's sins if he could invent a way for me to reach through Facebook and slap this woman.

Stacia Kane

Girl Detective
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.staciakane.com
On my Facebook "author" page, I asked my readers a question about eBooks. I got the following as a reply:

"I download ebooks for free. Bless torrents and online pdf files. XD"

Then this person "liked" her own reply.

And her profile picture is her giving a thumbs-up.

I would forgive all of Mark Zuckerberg's sins if he could invent a way for me to reach through Facebook and slap this woman.

Did you respond with, "Yeah, stealing from writers is AWESOME!"

Or just defriend her?

Blake M. Petit

Geek Pundit
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.evertimerealms.com
Did you respond with, "Yeah, stealing from writers is AWESOME!"

Or just defriend her?

We aren't friends to begin with, she just follows my Facebook page.

I didn't unload on her, because I didn't want to turn this into a thing, but I'm hoping my reply -- where I specifically retarget my question towards people who read LEGAL ebooks -- is enough for her to get the message.

KalenO

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.houseofegoandmadness.blogspot.com
My mom the other day:

'Why don't you just self-publish like this Amanda Hocking woman in the paper?'

I told her my plan is to get started on that right after I sell the next Harry Potter to Rowling's publishers.

Windcutter

Registered
Reaction score
"Why don't you put your novel online, you write so fast and easy, you won't have any trouble writing a few more to send to the publishers. You are just greedy, that's why you won't."

This is kind of a separate issue which also tends to be discussed here, but still it was said by a non-writer. (I'm not the writer in question, alas, I just happen to know them outside of AW.)

Phaeal

Whatever I did, I didn't do it.
Registered
Reaction score
non-writer: So, what do you write?

me: words

*awkward silence*

non-writer: That's awesome

Heh. You should actually say, "Words, words, words," and see if they get the reference.

Bubastes

bananaed
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gracewen.com
My mom the other day:

'Why don't you just self-publish like this Amanda Hocking woman in the paper?'

I told her my plan is to get started on that right after I sell the next Harry Potter to Rowling's publishers.

Yup. My Dad, Mr. Bub, and a friend all invoked the Hocking/Konrath/Locke trinity in the same week. :e2smack:

Status
Not open for further replies.