OJ's Book Deal Cancelled!

AnneMarble

Nefarious Ghost Fan
Registered
Reaction score
Website
gorokandwulf.blogspot.com
C.bronco said:
Publisher's Lunch has had alot of good commentary on it.
Thanks for reminding me because I keep meaning to sign up for that. :D

Uhm, I don't have to be a publishing industry professional or whatever to sign up that, do I?... (FWIW I are a editor. ;))

Celia Cyanide

Joker Groupie
Registered
Reaction score
eldragon said:
When you think about it, it makes sense not to promote this type of book.

Every killer in jail would be writing their memoirs, and how can there be justice in that?

I believe the reason why OJ was able to get a book deal in the first place was that he was found not guilty. I think the Son Of Sam law is still in effect, and would prevent every killer in jail from selling their memoirs.

Christine N.

haz a shiny new book cover
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.christine-norris.com
From what I've heard, 4,000 copies (does that sound right? Maybe it's 40,000 copies?) have been printed -all will be shredded.

Except for the couple of copies you KNOW are going to show up on Ebay.

Son of Sam laws are by state, IIRC. I don't know if California has one on the books.

eldragon

in a van down by the river
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lifeat42.blogspot.com
OJ sure can write fast.

Remember, he published a book during his trial, to pay some legal fees?

I think it's time for the juice to get a real job.

Kasey Mackenzie

One Hit Wonder?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kaseymackenzie.com
If my understanding is correct, it's true that he isn't a convicted felon and isn't prohibited from profiting by selling his story, however, there IS a multimillion dollar judgment against him so any profits he might have made from the book would go toward paying that judgment. Of course, knowing the sneaky bastard, he probably managed to have the money funneled in such a way that the victims' families can't touch it. Like how he got rid of everything except for his "little" monthly retirement check since that can't be seized and put toward the judgment.

Celia Cyanide

Joker Groupie
Registered
Reaction score
Kasey Mackenzie said:
If my understanding is correct, it's true that he isn't a convicted felon and isn't prohibited from profiting by selling his story, however, there IS a multimillion dollar judgment against him so any profits he might have made from the book would go toward paying that judgment.

I'm not sure how that works. WOULD that money have to go to the judgement in the civil suit? I know the royalties Manson got when Axl Rose covered his song went to Voytek Frykowski's son, but Manson was found guilty in the criminal trial. I don't know how civil suits effect criminal trials. Or IF they do.

AnneMarble

Nefarious Ghost Fan
Registered
Reaction score
Website
gorokandwulf.blogspot.com
Christine N. said:
From what I've heard, 4,000 copies (does that sound right? Maybe it's 40,000 copies?) have been printed -all will be shredded.
40,000 sounds more like it. Unless the first printing was kept low on purpose? Either way, what a waste of paper. :( And to think there are some great midlist authors who are without a contract, while they print tens of thousands of copies of that crap.

Christine N. said:
Except for the couple of copies you KNOW are going to show up on Ebay.
I haven't seen any yet (except one that was listed but ended quickly, so it might have been a fake).

Christine N. said:
Son of Sam laws are by state, IIRC. I don't know if California has one on the books.
Wasn't the original Son of Sam law found unconstitutional? I think a new version was later written, however.

dahmnait

Just a figment…
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
When you figure it out, will you let me know?
Quick note: California does have a law on it's books that criminals cannot profit from their crime.

Now on the the Judith Regan statement.
Nov. 16, 2006 — Judith Regan, publisher of "If I Did It," which is being described by as O.J. Simpson's fictional "confession" to the slayings of his ex-wife Nicole Brown Simpson and her friend Ron Goldman. Below is a statement Regan issued through her publicist.
Below meaning, of course, in the link. :) I have conflicted views about her statement and I am not commenting yet. I have to digest it first.

Christine N.

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.christine-norris.com
What I predicted, and what one news man or other confirmed, was that any money he got from the book was being put into accounts for his kids.

Yeah, because if he gives it to his kids, the Goldmans and Smiths can't touch it.

Of course, you know who the trustee of those accounts are.
It's very sneaky, and of course, perfectly legal. I'm sure it happens all the time, and is the way many fortunes remain hidden.

eldragon

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lifeat42.blogspot.com
There is a listing on ebay for this book. One listing. The person has decent feedback, the latest news says a few books shipped but are supposed to be returned to the publisher to destroy.

Also, the article says the book will be so collectible, it will probably fetch 5 figures on ebay.

Well, I know that ebay often bans questionable content items on their site. For instance, you cannot sell any "FACES OF DEATH," tapes, because they say it's too violent.

I wouldn't be surprised if they stop the sale of OJ's book.

BTW - he is now saying there is not confession in the book.

WHAT A JERK!

So, he was paid $3.2 million advance to write fiction, which conveniently included the names of people he was accused of murdering?

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
eldragon said:
BTW - he is now saying there is not confession in the book.

WHAT A JERK!

So, he was paid $3.2 million advance to write fiction, which conveniently included the names of people he was accused of murdering?

Yes. That's how I understood the whole concept. It was a book on IF he had done it, now HOW he had done it. Fiction.

Reaction score
While the book was in extreme bad taste, I would (with apologies to Voltaire), defend to the death his right to write it.

And let's not think it was pulped because the publishers were taking the moral high ground. It was a face-saving exercise, pure and simple.

JoeEkaitis

Certified Gray Haired Geek
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
A wondrous land whose boundaries are that of imagi
AnneMarble said:
Weren't the books already printed, though? :(

Maybe after the books are pulped, they can print something tasteful on the recycled paper.
I can think of one use that would make it sell like the proverbial hotcake.

250px-Toiletpapier_%28Gobran111%29.jpg

eldragon

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lifeat42.blogspot.com
Shadow_Ferret said:
Yes. That's how I understood the whole concept. It was a book on IF he had done it, now HOW he had done it. Fiction.

But wasn't there another "writer" on the project?

dahmnait

Just a figment…
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
When you figure it out, will you let me know?
The book was written by a ghost writer. That much OJ has stated (in one of those many articles.)

Shadow, did you read Judith Regan's statement. According to her, she wanted him to confess in the book, under the guise of a fictional account of course. Not that it changes why OJ decided to have the book written. I did, however, find it interesting that the publisher went to this level for "personal" reasons.

As for his right to write the book. He has it. He isn't a criminal in the eyes of the legal system. He is being held accountable, but he was never convicted of the crime. Regardless of how I feel about his innocence or guilt, he still has the right to tell the story. He wouldn't be the first to publish a book in extremely bad taste.

Tilly

Registered
Reaction score
It amazes me that Judith Regan would think she was getting anything like the truth.

He can still give whatever account he wants - just not through the company who decided to withdraw the book and the interview. He can put up a web page, self-publish, or find a different company.

Last edited:

Christine N.

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.christine-norris.com
Actually I read an article today that made my stomach turn...

I'm A Big Fat Jerk and I know it!

"The money was my kids' financial legacy" is a piss-poor, dirty thing to say. Let your kids work, like everyone elses'. Or let their MOTHER'S family give them money, after you cough what you owe them.

Jerk. Bastid. The picture makes me want to slap him.

eldragon

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lifeat42.blogspot.com
I just heard on the news that all the proceeds from OJ's book deal, the advance, has been frozen so that he can't spend any of it.

Apparently, OJ started a secret company, and put the money in an account under a false name.

Snap! Mr. Goldman found out and his attornies froze it!