The AW Amazon Store
Buy Books by AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: [Content site] Her Online Network / HerOnlineNetwork.com

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

Question [Content site] Her Online Network / HerOnlineNetwork.com

Okay, here's the question: has anybody here written anything for HerOnlineNetwork.com or dealt with the Editor (Jenny)?

Someone's making money, but I doubt if it's the contributors. Stay away.

Q: What incentives are there for writing for Her Online Network?

A: Her Online Network wants all of our editors to get the exposure and credit for their work that they deserve. We are creating an editor area that will list all of our editors with bios and contact information. Top HON editors will receive a mini home page of their own that will contain a more complete biography, full contact information including Website, email, links to their other articles on the Web, and a list of all articles they have written for HON. This can be an invaluable work reference for aspiring online writers.

In addition, we have created a point system for articles submitted by our editors. Editors will receive points based on the amount of quality articles submitted each month. Based on the amount of points earned monthly, the editor with the most points will receive a monetary bonus. Bonuses range between $100.00 - $200.00. Every editor needs to have written for at least 2 months in order to be eligible for monthly bonuses.
    I feel God in this Chili's.
    -Pam Beesley

Question

Yes, I already know about all that *sigh*. The editor has replied to me after I'd sent her my ideas, sent me the contract to read, then I read the contract, agreed to it, thought it'd be some nice exposure (yeah, right!) and sent her two articles. The thing is I've already sent two articles to the editor and haven't heard from her since! This is so UNprofessional especially as I keep emailing her asking when my articles will be published online. There's something fishy going on.

I'm thinking of submitting these two articles of mine to ezinearticles.com. At least, that's better, it's a nice proof these are MY articles and I would get some free exposure. What do you think?

"Exposure" is what cheapskates claim in lieu of paying writers.
    I feel God in this Chili's.
    -Pam Beesley

volitare nequeo AW Moderator veinglory's Avatar
    Blah blah points [hand waving] some vague connection to money but nothing specific. I've seen a few sites doing that lately with writers hanging around earning these 'points' in the hope it will mean something later. If points have any reliable connection to money they can be called some amount of dollars or cents.
    Emily Veinglory

the Bruin of Tomorrow™ Atomic Bear's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sassenach
    "Exposure" is what cheapskates claim in lieu of paying writers.
    And don't forget "you'll get lots of experience and have fun too." I have gotten tons of people with that kind of attitude. I usually say "no" with the exception of some non-profits.
    Brian Kolm
    Atomic Bear Press - Comics for the "big kid" in all of us.

Home of "Beyond the Great Chimney" a fantasy comic book adventure about taking life by the horns. Featuring painted art by Brian Kolm.

ATOMICBEARPRESS.com

I Heart Mac Absolute Sage Lauri B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Atomic Bear
    And don't forget "you'll get lots of experience and have fun too." I
    Yeah, nothing says fun like writing an article for free. Anyone want to have a lot of fun? I need a book written.

Yeah it's all just blah blah blah. Can you believe I haven't heard from the editor YET? Hello, where has she disappeared? What should I do? Blow up her inbox for some attention? *thinking*

Should I email and tell her I no longer want her to publish my articles on the website?

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    Perhaps under new owner, went down in '09 and returned a shadow of its former self. Down again early '14.

ETA: Returned Feb '16 under another new owner.
    Last edited by CaoPaux; 12-03-2016 at 12:47 AM. Reason: updating w/o bumping
    ICAO
    ---------
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017: