Buy books by AWers

If this site is helpful to you,
Please consider a voluntary subscription to defray ongoing expenses.

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Poetry markets: paying

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
    I would hate to take away from the great posts... but I noticed that some of them are old, so if someone could maybe just give a quick reply as to which ones have you gotten paid for or still have a working relationship with?

I have been searching for poetry work, but have found none that were legit, and paid.

Thanks!

Stand in the Place Where You Live KTC's Avatar
    I only post reputable markets. If it's here, they pay. If a link is broken, it probably means the magazine has since stopped publishing...but I'm pretty sure they are still all good. I will not post anything here unless it is legit.
    Get Burn Baby Burn Baby today! Now on the 2016 In the Margins Book Awards List!
    I blog
    I INSTAGRAM
    I Tweet
    I have 5 novels published. You can see them here on my Amazon Author Page if you're at all interested.

Quote Originally Posted by KTC View Post
    I only post reputable markets. If it's here, they pay. If a link is broken, it probably means the magazine has since stopped publishing...but I'm pretty sure they are still all good. I will not post anything here unless it is legit.
    Thanks KTC,

I didn't mean to make it seem that you were just posting bad/scam stuff... I meant to see if these gigs were actually still available.

I know sometimes magazines will only take a set number of poems.

Thanks so much for the reply and reassurance!

Quote Originally Posted by jeffbeer View Post
    Thanks KTC,

I didn't mean to make it seem that you were just posting bad/scam stuff... I meant to see if these gigs were actually still available.

I know sometimes magazines will only take a set number of poems.

Thanks so much for the reply and reassurance!
    I didn't mean to suggest you were suggesting that, either. Just wanted you to know you could feel safe submitting to the ones posted here. A great site for writing calls is www.placesforwriters.com AW is really vigilant about scams...check out the background and bewares forums if you are ever in doubt. Good luck...and welcome to the cooler.
    I blog
    I INSTAGRAM
    I Tweet
    I have 5 novels published. You can see them here on my Amazon Author Page if you're at all interested.

Quote Originally Posted by KTC View Post
    I didn't mean to suggest you were suggesting that, either. Just wanted you to know you could feel safe submitting to the ones posted here. A great site for writing calls is www.placesforwriters.com AW is really vigilant about scams...check out the background and bewares forums if you are ever in doubt. Good luck...and welcome to the cooler.
    Haha, well then glad our suggestions are cleared
    I really appreciate your help KTC! I enver had anyone share great info for me!

I just checked out plaveforwriters... very awesome, and I know it'll be useful for me.

Again, thanks a million times over

Ancient Paths Literary Magazine is now accepting querries. Issue 16 will feature two select poets (18-20 pages of poetry) who will be paid $50 and one free copy.

Submission Address:
    Skylar Hamilton Burris, Editor ~ P.O. Box 7505, Fairfax Station, VA 22039
    SSBurris@cox.net ~ www.editorskylar.com (click on Ancient Paths)

Do not send complete manuscripts; instead, query with three best poems.

Theme: All works should have either Christian themes or universal religious themes (i.e. religious themes common to most religions and consistent with Christianity). The religious element can, but need not be, explicit. Works should not be overly didactic.

Send a query letter and your three best poems only. Poems should have a minimum of 8 lines each. No maximum. In your query letter, note how many pages of poetry you have available for submission, the total number of poems, and if the poems have a uniting factor. No more than half of the poems selected for inclusion may have been previously published, and none may have appeared in a previous issue of Ancient Paths. Simultaneous submissions are acceptable. I have no prejudice against traditional, rhymed verse, but it must be well written. I prefer that free verse employ standard punctuation and capitalization. I look for many things -- profound insights, resonant sound, and striking imagery. I will avoid poetry that is entirely image driven and poetry that communicates a moral message without beauty or poetic skill. Ideally, poetry should be accessible at the surface level and then contain other levels of more subtle meaning. Epic poetry will be considered, but submit only the first three pages for consideration.

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin Emz's Avatar
    Is it complusory to have a critic before submitting to any of your poems to magazines and such?

Quote Originally Posted by Emz View Post
    Is it complusory to have a critic before submitting to any of your poems to magazines and such?
    OF COURSE NOT! Why would you even think that? You write. You submit. No other eyes need see it before you submit.

WELCOME TO AW!
    I blog
    I INSTAGRAM
    I Tweet

Just happy to be here caseyquinn's Avatar
    Everyday Poets - pays a dollar a poem but the best part about them is that they have an audience that reads and comments. For me, good exposure is more important then the money but here you get a little (i know, a little) of both. I sub a few poems there pretty often. http://www.everydaypoets.com/
    Casey Quinn

My second poetry chapbook Prepare To Crash is now available from Big Table Publishing. Pick up a copy today !

Read some good short prose and poetry - Short Story Library

Quote Originally Posted by caseyquinn View Post
    Everyday Poets - pays a dollar a poem but the best part about them is that they have an audience that reads and comments. For me, good exposure is more important then the money but here you get a little (i know, a little) of both. I sub a few poems there pretty often. http://www.everydaypoets.com/
    I can't believe what a following they have. And Every Day Fiction even more so.

I agree Amy, I think for me the pay doenst matter but the exposure is more important. I know when they publish a poem of mine it will be read by a good number of people interested in poetry and they will leave feedback. I could careless about the dollar - just like the enviroment -
    Casey Quinn

My second poetry chapbook Prepare To Crash is now available from Big Table Publishing. Pick up a copy today !

Thanks for that - just had one accepted there.
    Dichroic

She paid him the compliment of rational opposition
    -Jane Austen

Congrats Di! i send in a few poems there to try and get on the schedule for each month - they have a nice following and i enjoy the venue - ill keep my eye out for your poem
    Casey Quinn

It's going up August 30. (The Road-Warrior's Wife - it was up for crit here, so you've likely seen it.)

This is my third poem accepted, second paid. I figure I'll squee somewhere here on this forum for the first five at least
    Dichroic

She paid him the compliment of rational opposition
    -Jane Austen

here for a minute...catch me? P.H.Delarran's Avatar
    that's great news!
    ~hope to see you again.

Absolute Poetry, Vol. 1 - out now

'Tis true, she is a monstergirl dgrintalis's Avatar
    Betwixt a nightmare and a veil of shadowy dark
    I just had one accepted there, too. No date of pub yet.
    Blog Twitter

INK on Goodreads
    INK on Amazon

A tattoo can be a work of art…or a curse.

Out now in trade paperback and ebook from Samhain Horror.

Coming in Spring 2014: An as yet untitled collection of short fiction from Apex Publications.

Luftmensch Emeritus, A.D.D. Pat~'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MizzACEE View Post
    I'm looking for a paying childrens magazine to submit poems to...any have any info on this?
    1) Ladybug (and other age levels of the Cricket Magazine Group, Carus Publications): a plus is that they sometimes don't require All Rights. See http://www.cricketmag.com/pages_content.asp?page_id=6

2) Highlights for Children: Excellent folk, TOP pay and exposure (2 million plus subscribed readership), but requires All Rights. See http://www.highlights.com/custserv/c...CCNavIDs=3,203
    Pat

Every writer is a skater, who must go partly where he would and partly where the skates carry him… ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Inspiration will find you, but it must find you working. ~ Picasso

Website

Life

Me, myself and I don't know Poppy's Avatar
    Astropoetica - online market that publishes astronomy related poetry - $5 payment

http://www.astropoetica.com/guidelines.html
    ~Poppy~

Cappers - Free verse and light verse, traditional, nature and inspirational poems - payment of $10 to $15

http://www.ogdenpubs.com/writers/cappers.html
    ~Poppy~

Don't think I saw this one mentioned. Apologies if I repeat info.

Writers' Journal - buys about 25 poems a year, which they use for fillers. They welcome light verse, preferably about writing. Pays $5

http://www.writersjournal.com/Writer'sGuidelines.htm
    ~Poppy~

It's largely empty in here Smashfiction's Avatar
    sorry for just taking from the thread but i was wondering if anyone knew anything about a British Market? English preferably.

I say!

try blue mountain arts

It's largely empty in here Smashfiction's Avatar
    ta muchly

I say!

Every Day Poets

Every Day Poets is on the lookout for quality poems under 500 words. Send us something if you can. Please read the guidelines carefully. We look forward to reading your work.

www.everydaypoets.com
    Last edited by ajc; 05-09-2010 at 08:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat~ View Post
    1) Ladybug (and other age levels of the Cricket Magazine Group, Carus Publications): a plus is that they sometimes don't require All Rights. See http://www.cricketmag.com/pages_content.asp?page_id=6

2) Highlights for Children: Excellent folk, TOP pay and exposure (2 million plus subscribed readership), but requires All Rights. See http://www.highlights.com/custserv/c...CCNavIDs=3,203

Thanks! I was wondering how to submit to Highlights! ^_^
    In Progress:
    Prince$$ Ti@ of Alumin@ Querying :S

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast