• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Zimmermann Literary Agency (Helen Zimmermann)

Julie Worth

What? I have a title?
Registered
Reaction score
Anyone know this low-profile agent?

According to Mediabistro, Helen began in the marketing department at Random House, then became director of advertising and promotions at Crown. From there she became the events director at an independent bookstore in New Paltz (which might be just something to do after leaving the job at Crown). She has 18 clients as of October, and a number of books sold.

She may also be an EMT, unless there are two women by that name in New Paltz. Perhaps the EMT is her daughter?

No agency profile in Publisher’s Marketplace, and an incomplete listing at Preditors and Editors.

She is listed at Agent Query.

Last edited:

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Are you looking for more information or personal experiences?

Vandal

In the Center of things
Registered
Reaction score
It took her a month to reject my first 50 pages.

hootie

Registered
Reaction score
hello all,

Any personal experience with this agent? I came across her name while researching agents that have sold thrillers over at PM. I see the P and E listing and the AQ listing, but not much here. Her website is helpful:

http://zimmermannliterary.com

Any personal insight folks? Thanks in advance!

Wayne K

Banned
Reaction score
Request for a full from Ms. Zimmerman.

Not a lot of action in this thread--I assume she's reputable because she's an AAR member. I can't find anything negative so that's a plus.

Anyone here know her?

Lucky Lucy

Registered
Reaction score
I had a request for a full at the end of August. No word yet.

Lucky Lucy

Registered
Reaction score
Could you tell me the genre she requested a full MS for? Just wondering what her likes and dislikes are...

Hi: My ms is a Mystery (cozy). At the start of October she sent a very nice rejection.

Finish each day and be done with it. You have done what you could. Some blunders and absurdities no doubt crept in; forget them as soon as you can. Tomorrow is a new day; begin it well and serenely and with too high a spirit to be encumbered with your old nonsense.

- Ralph Waldo Emerson

BrigidGH

I got soul but I'm not a soldier :)
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.mylifeasateenagenovelist.blogspot.com
9/1 - Received response telling me I "definitely have some serious potential" but the manuscript I sent her isn't right for her. However, she expressed interest in my other writing and wanted to know if I have any other complete manuscripts.

pavtbr

Registered
Reaction score
Any recent interactions

I was preparing to query Ms. Zimmermann this weekend and was wondering if anyone has had any submissions or responses from her lately. I am going to submit a historical fiction ("The Dugout in the Basement" which is a sports-themed historical fiction).
Thanks! I'll post an update once/if I get a response.
Bryan

Laura Droege

Registered
Reaction score
Good luck, Bryan. I'm thinking about querying her (women's fiction), and I wish there was more info about her on this thread. So please let us know how it goes! From the QT stats, it looks like she's a no-response-equals-no type for queries. (But I'm new to QT, so I'm still figuring it out; I could be wrong!)

The QT comments indicate that her rejection letters are very nicely worded. I found an old blog post (2007) that had a comment from a client saying that Ms. Zimmerman is "responsive to her writer" and knows the business forwards and backwards.

pavtbr

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks

Thanks Laura. I would definitely send her your query. If you have not sent out many queries yet and are looking for someone to read yours over, I would be happy to help. I'm still trying to find the "right" query style myself...

Unfortunately I still have not heard back from her. Her website says that if you don't hear from her within two weeks, it's probably because the project isn't right for her. Since she's had my query for about three weeks now, I'm guessing she is taking a pass. Oh well, I'll keep looking. The right agent is out there somewhere!

Bryan

happywritermom

Registered
Reaction score
Definitely keep querying, Bryan, but don't give up on this agent just yet. With the holidays, she might be a bit behind.

pavtbr

Registered
Reaction score
Definitely keep querying, Bryan, but don't give up on this agent just yet. With the holidays, she might be a bit behind.

Thanks. I'll definitely be happy to hear from her one way or the other. Working on revising my query letter right now. My goal is to get it revised and another 10 sent off before Christmas. A modest goal, but it will help to keep me accountable!

Vintagedaisy

Registered
Reaction score
Trident or Zimmerman

Recently got an offer of rep from both Don Fehr at trident media group and Helen Zimmerman. Any thoughts on whom I should choose?

Wisteria Vine

Registered
Reaction score
I'm assuming you had phone conversations with both of these agents. Which one was closest to what you want to achieve with your writing?

Vintagedaisy

Registered
Reaction score
I like them both and they both have solid track records and reputations. I'm looking for anyone with inside info in either.

happywritermom

Registered
Reaction score
Congratulations!
What a great position to be in!
I would start by researching them both on this board using the "search" function at the top right of the Bewares board.
Keep in mind as you post that many agents subscribe to these threads and/or participate on these forums.

Though you are not using your real name, it wouldn't be that hard to figure out who you are since they both just made you offers.

Maddie

Roe Draje
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.saraville.com
Helen Zimmermann's new venture?

I had queried this agency back in Feb. 2013, and never received a reply--until today. Ms. Zimmermann has just informed me by e-mail, that for $89.00, I can watch her 90-minute video entitled "Project Publish," and will soon be on my way to receiving her wealth of knowledge. According to Ms. Zimmermann, the $89.00 fee "...also entitles you to email correspondence directly with me (at*[email protected]) to answer any specific questions you may have."*

Gee, what do you all think? Should I shell out $89.00 for Helen's wealth of knowledge? And is this even legitimate?