• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Book Cents Literary Agency

Shalanna

Registered
Reaction score
Book Cents Literary Agency--No Sales??

I saw the previous thread (a couple of years old, though) about Book Cents and agent Christine Witthohn. When I Googled today, I still didn't see ANY deals credited to her, and nothing on Publishers Lunch or Writer Beware. I've been corresponding with her (after meeting her at a writers' conference, where you'd expect to meet working agents) and find her to be charming and kind about my work, which of course sets off the warning bell (grin). I lookd at her clients' blogs and they seem to still be entering the Amazon novel contest, doing e-book anthologies, and the like, rather than trumpeting their sales to DAW or St. Martin's or another well-established house. Does anyone know whether Book Cents has made any sales to NY publishers? I don't know what else to search on, or where to search.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Merged.

I'm not finding anything's changed with them. All conference, no sale.

priceless1

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.behlerpublications.com
Seen on Publisher's Lunch:

Kathryne Kennedy's TALISMANS OF ELFHAME, her new historical paranormal series, to Deb Werksman at Sourcebooks, at auction, in a three-book deal, for publication in 2010 - 2011, by Christine Witthohn at Book Cents Literary Agency.

Kathryne Kennedy's MY UNFAIR LADY and BENEATH THE THIRTEEN MOONS, to Deb Werksman at Sourcebooks, in a two-book deal, for publication in 2009-2010, by Christine Witthohn and Judith Ann Miramontez at Book Cents Literary Agency.

priceless1

Banned
Reaction score
Website
Good info, but I don't believe you need an agent to submit to Sourcebooks as Deb Werksman had reviewed my full MS I sent.
That may be true, but I can tell you that when sent a query by an agent and an author, I'll open the agent's query first. And let's say the story isn't quite what I might be interested in. Because the query came from an agent I respect, I'll read the pages. If an author sent it, I may be more apt to give it less merit.

I'm just talking about agents in general. I know nothing about this agent.

JamieB

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.jamieblair.blogspot.com
Very true. Sourcebooks is a good publisher. I was only making the comment that I've seen on other threads about agents. It seems to be the common opinion that if the agent hasn't sold to one of the big NY houses who are closed to unagented submissions, that they are not as desirable to have for your book.

Everyone has to start somewhere though, so it's good to see some sales for her!

priceless1

Banned
Reaction score
Website
Very true. Sourcebooks is a good publisher ... It seems to be the common opinion that if the agent hasn't sold to one of the big NY houses who are closed to unagented submissions, that they are not as desirable to have for your book.
This is true. All of the agents I work with sell primarily sell to the large houses. Maybe these sales will bode better things for her.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
There are certainly worse places to make a first sale to. Let's hope she can leverage it.

Stacia Kane

Girl Detective
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.staciakane.com
Kathryne Kennedy was already published by Dorcester when she switched to the Book Cents agency, as well.

Like Cao I hope that this is the start of good things for the agency. I know some people repped by them and I would love to see them start going places. But it's because of that--knowing them--that I can't fully remove my previous statement, although I am more hopeful.

Last edited:

DawnKJ

Still learning
Registered
Reaction score
Website
bookworld.editme.com
I queried this agency and got a phone call the next day. It was a rejection, but Christine Witthohn explained why it wasn't the right fit for her agency and suggested where I might try instead. I really appreciated her call.

ETA: I saw a Q&A with Christine on Guide to Literary Agents. It's dated April 3, 2009.

http://www.guidetoliteraryagents.com/blog/default,month,2009-04.aspx

Last edited:

K. M. Walton

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kmwalton.com
Jumped onto AW after I got a request for a full today and found this thread. I am choosing to hyper-focus on the good things I've read...like the recent sales and that Q&A mentioned above. I also checked out those blogs from page 1 - the ones of the writers who signed with them a few years back.

DecemberQuinn - what kind of experience have your friends had?

EgyptianGoddess

Working On Life
Registered
Reaction score
I just got a request for a synopsis and a full ms.

I'll send it and wait to see what develops....and I'll let you all know. Doesn't hurt to send it.

Copydiva

Pump up the fruit
Registered
Reaction score
I received a very nice rejection letter from Christine Witthohn yesterday. Her response was quick (just a few days) and I appreciated that. Good luck to all who have partials or fulls with them.

homespuntales

Registered
Reaction score
Nice rejection

I received a very nice rejection letter from Christine Witthohn yesterday. Her response was quick (just a few days) and I appreciated that. Good luck to all who have partials or fulls with them.

I received a request for synopsis and full in August. Four weeks from the day I forwarded my manuscript, Christine emailed the following rejection note:

Thank you for the opportunity to review your project. Although there is much to like about your story, it isn't as strong as some of the others I am considering. For that reason, I'm afraid I have to pass.

Because I am passing on your story at this time, it in no way means you should give up pursuing your writing dream.

Again, thank you for considering our agency and I wish you the very best of luck.

[FONT=Verdana, Geneva, Arial, Sans-serif]Christine Witthohn [/FONT]

EgyptianGoddess

Working On Life
Registered
Reaction score
........Thank you for the opportunity to review your project. Although there is much to like about your story, it isn't as strong as some of the others I am considering. For that reason, I'm afraid I have to pass.

Because I am passing on your story at this time, it in no way means you should give up pursuing your writing dream.

Again, thank you for considering our agency and I wish you the very best of luck.

[FONT=Verdana, Geneva, Arial, Sans-serif]Christine Witthohn [/FONT]

I got the exact same letter, word for word, from her. In the meantime, however, I had found an agent. Don't let it get you down, keep on querying!!!

Skodobah

I don't dream for nothing!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
julieduck.com
I haven't sent any new queries in three weeks! It's been super-busy here and I just haven't had time to get my mind in gear for another round. Ugh!

- Julie

homespuntales

Registered
Reaction score
I got the exact same letter, word for word, from her. In the meantime, however, I had found an agent. Don't let it get you down, keep on querying!!!

Thank you! Nice to know the letter was generic. I won't read into it. The manuscript Christine rejected was my first complete novel. I'm going back to what makes me happy. I'll pass on querying for now, and start a new project. New story ideas tug for my attention. I'm a newbie ... but I'm learning fast. Congratulations on finding an agent!

gerrydodge

Registered
Reaction score
Children's:
Young Adult Artist Arthur's next three books in the Mysfytz series, in which teens with supernatural powers band together and call themselves the MYSTFTZ, to Evette Porter at Kimani Tru, for publication in 2012, by Christine Witthohn at Book Cents Literary Agency (World).

Erin

Listening to my other selves
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.erinrichards.com
For those keeping track, she also sold in December three separate 3-book deals to Berkley Prime Crime (2 deals) and Kimani (1 deal), respectively.

Skodobah

I don't dream for nothing!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
julieduck.com
Haven't heard back from Christine on the full I sent in August. Time for a nudge????

- Julie

Funny! Later that evening I got the Call - from Christine. She's had some awesome sales this year - several multi-book deals. Very strong go-getter and I'm stoked to have her as my agent!

- Julie