• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Ink and Paper Group LLC

Atomic Bear

the Bruin of Tomorrow™
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.atomicbearpress.com
I am helping a friend looking into different publisher for their graphic novel and I was curious if anyone knew anything about Ink and Paper Group LLC in Portland, Oregon. http://www.inkandpapergroup.com/

They have a comic book division called Bowler Hat that handles graphic novels and comic... http://www.bowlerhatcomics.com/ which is the division that they are looking into.

They also have 5 different imprints...

Chain Reaction: sci-fi
Gray Sunshine: social issue non-fiction
Sofa Ink: Gift Books and stuff
Three Muses Press: female oriented
Bowler Hat Comics: Comics and Graphic Novels.

They also teach classes on Self-Publishing.

Any informaiton or experiences?

victoriastrauss

Writer Beware Goddess
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.victoriastrauss.com
There are some hopeful signs--for instance, all the partners are alumnae/i of a graduate publishing program. However, they are brand new and don't as yet appear to have published anything. I'd be cautious on principle of submitting to a publisher with no publishing history. The failure rate for small presses is high, and this can result in unpleasant rights situations for authors under contract. Your friend might want to wait to approach this publisher until it actually has some books or comics on the market. This will not only prove the publisher can take a project all the way to publication, it'll make it possible to judge the quality of the books, and how (or if) the company is marketing and distributing them.

- Victoria

triceretops

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
guerrillawarfareforwriters.blogspot.com
As Victoria stated, the staff seems educated and suited to the job. They are brand new. I tipped my agent off to them. The only thing distressing I see is that they want a full hardcopy manuscript sent in the mail right from the gate, disposable of course. I don't see any request for queries, the synopsis, or even chapters. I've seen many publishers request fulls, but in the email vein. But very few who want the whole paper nine yards. That's a very expensive proposition for agent/authors. Just MO.

Tri

Atomic Bear

the Bruin of Tomorrow™
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.atomicbearpress.com
Is there any issue with having so many imprints right out of the starting gate? Five different areas seem like a lot to begin with.

There website needs some work. Each webpage is actually a giant graphic image, not very efficient IMHO. I know since I tried to copy and paste the list of imprints and could not do it.

triceretops

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
guerrillawarfareforwriters.blogspot.com
I had trouble navigating and finding email contacts. Then when I tried the SF imprint, which I found at ANOTHER imprint, it came back delivery failure. So I tried the SF imprint (Cameron) again, only this time taking a period (dot) out of the URL. It seems to have gone through. I'm specifically asking them about questions pertaining to emailing, queries, synopsis, and partials. Rather confusing. I'm am not going to send a full hardcopy manuscript (disposable) and nothing else.

Tri

victoriastrauss

Writer Beware Goddess
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.victoriastrauss.com
Lots of imprints can be a warning sign--sometimes just of inexperience. If you take a look at established small publishers, they don't tend to split themselves up so much. One reason is that it's easier to establish yourself if you have a more narrow focus, at least to start. Another is that it's harder to build name recognition for your company when you're issuing books under several different names.

- Victoria

crichoux

Hi, I'm actually an intern there, working with Bowler Hat Comics (and my current job is redesigning their website...)

Anyways, part of the reason for the different imprints is the different interests of those working at the press. It is a small press, but we are growing rapidly and I would encourage you to submit if you are interested in comics especially.

Our submission guidelines are being redone, and we have not been aggressively seeking submissions until recently.

It's a fun place to work, and I'm in the graduate program at PSU also. If anyone out there is thinking about going into publishing and doesn't want to go the NY intern route, you learn a lot in the PSU program.

So if you have any questions, please feel free to ask me ^_^

~Cassie Richoux