• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

[Agency] Liza Dawson Associates

rugcat

Lost in the Fog
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jlevitt.com
Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone has any turnaround time info on Liza for a partial. . .
It's been 2 weeks (which I know is a blink) but I'd like to know what sort of wait I'm in for so I can schedule my anxiety accordingly
I don't know about Liza, but I know Caitlin is quite busy, so I would imagine Liza is too.

Caitlin varies on response time -- it can be quick or it can be even a few months, depending on how caught up she is.

Kasey Mackenzie

One Hit Wonder?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kaseymackenzie.com
Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone has any turnaround time info on Liza for a partial. . .
It's been 2 weeks (which I know is a blink) but I'd like to know what sort of wait I'm in for so I can schedule my anxiety accordingly.

Thanks a lot.

Adam

Just as an FYI to hopefully give people an idea of how backed up Liza is right now, I e-queried her on February 15th and received a form rejection on October 5th that explained about her being backed up due to her maternity leave. Since this was just for a query, I would assume it is definitely going to take longer for her to catch up on partial and full reads. My recommendation would be to take whatever stated reading time she or her agency specifies, and then add quite a few more weeks to that timeframe, and then send a polite status query.

Adam Hammonds

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adam-hammonds.com
It is with great humility and thanks that I formally announce to the members of AW . . .

another rejection.

She tried to put a sort of bad economy-spin on it. Which just proves my long-held suspicion that GWBush and Henry Paulson don't want me to be published.

ellisnation

Rhiannon Ellis
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.rhiannonellis.com
Quick response to Query

I queried Anna Olswanger at the Liza Dawson Agency last night and heard back in less than 24 hours. She said she was not the right agent for my children's picture book manuscript. It was a very short, but very nice reply.

I'm new to this, and that was my first "rejection". Not too sure if she meant she is not handling picture books right now for that specific age range, or if she really just didn't like the sound of it??? At any rate - she was nice about it, so it didn't sting... too much ;)

Geosteph

Registered
Reaction score
Just wanted everyone to know she seems to be catching up as I got an email today in response to a July 11 query.

Mel A.

settling in with my red pen . . .
Registered
Reaction score
Anyone know much about Victoria Horn? She's at Liza Dawson, so I was curious.
Hi, Blind Writer -
F.Y.I., I e-queried her 2/23/09. No news yet.

Erin

Listening to my other selves
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.erinrichards.com
I queried Victoria on 1/5 and haven't heard anything either. I just requeried her a few days ago.

Erin

Listening to my other selves
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.erinrichards.com
YAY, Red! Congrats.

Caitlin's responsive. I queried her on 4/2 and she rejected me 4/18. On 4/30 I requeried Victoria, even though she never responded on first book. Still waiting...

Juneluv12

Steel Magnolia & Snarky Pants
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kristaashe.webs.com
I queried Victoria back in December on my adult novel, The Road to Damascus. I never heard back. Of course, that was before I stumbled over here, realized my query was horribly sucktastic, and basically scrapped querying for awhile.

As far as YA goes, Caitlin and Jennifer both got back to me within a day on my YA project. I'd probably go with one of them!

rtrgirl

Registered
Reaction score
I sent Victoria an e.query on 4/3 and haven't heard back.

batgirl

Writting broad
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
bmlgordon.com
Caitlin Blasdell is astoundingly quick, in an industry that generally seems to be vaster than empires and more slow.
query sent May 10
request for partial May 12
request for full May 14, 2 week exclusive
BEA May 29-30
offer to rep Jun 1

I think I'm dizzy.
-Barbara

Juneluv12

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kristaashe.webs.com
Havis Dawson

Anybody had any dealings with him?

He likes Southern lit so I queried mid April and crickets.

Senora Verde

Teacher by day, YA writer by night
Registered
Reaction score
Congrats batgirl!

Anyone know if this agency's policy is "a no from one is a no from all"? it looks like you queried multiple agents juneluv?

My query was rejected by Caitlin a couple of months ago, I was thinking of querying Victoria, even though she seems slow to respond...

Juneluv12

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kristaashe.webs.com
Actually, I've only queried Havis with my adult novel.

I queried several on the YA, though. They're not a no from one type agency, and they don't share queries.

EgyptianGoddess

Working On Life
Registered
Reaction score
I She said she was not the right agent for my children's picture book manuscript.

You'll find, as you get rejections (and everyone does) that that is pretty much what they say...they're not right for that project, that they "didn't love it enough", or just "this is not for me". Some will add a sentence or two about it all being subjective and to keep trying other agents.

It's just a little nicer way of saying "no". None of it is personal, or a real reflection of your work. Just keep trying and believe in your work.

Senora Verde

Teacher by day, YA writer by night
Registered
Reaction score
It's like breaking up with someone, there's no nice way to do it, yet they still try.

"I'm not the right agent for this" = "It's not you, it's me"

"I just didn't feel that spark," or "I just didn't fall in love with it" = "I'm not ready for a big commitment right now."

"This is too similar to my other projects" = "I just got out of a serious relationship"

"Remember this is a subjective business. Good luck placing your work somewhere else." = "I don't deserve you. You need someone better than me."