• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

[Agency] Trident Media Group

Arch Stanton

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
Is it OK to paste the first five pages below the query to this agency? I've been told this is a rule writers should always follow.

Thanks for any tips.

LizzieFriend

Registered
Reaction score
Is it OK to paste the first five pages below the query to this agency? I've been told this is a rule writers should always follow.

Thanks for any tips.

Hi Arch--I always paste pages (3-5 if the amount is not specified) unless the agency specifically says, "do not send us sample pages." I haven't seen that anywhere from Trident, but if it's not in the usual places (agency PM page, their website, indiv. agent's PM page, etc.) just send pages.

Good luck!

Vandal

In the Center of things
Registered
Reaction score
Got a full request from Melissa Flashman on 11/2/10.

Not a peep, since, even after nudging.

MokoBunny

Registered
Reaction score
I queried Alysa but forgot to do the form submit thing on their website XD It said to do it the same time as querying but I did the form about two hours after I queried. I wonder if I'm gonna get sent to the spam folder now, sigh.

Giant Baby

Oh, the humanity.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Does anyone know who the British sub-agent is for this agency, or for that matter any of their European subagents?

Hi Aruna,

Near as I can tell from PM listings, UK rights seem to be handled in house, by a Claire Roberts.

Most International rights for sales slightly farer a flung (Russian, Polish, Croatian, etc.) appear to be handled by various agents at Andrew Nurnberg Associates.

clorenz

Registered
Reaction score
Does anyone know anything about the status of Alanna Ramirez at Trident? She requested a partial in March for my YA novel. I have not yet heard from her and her last reported deal in PM is from January. Thanks.

Brindle MacWuff

Registered
Reaction score
My personal experience is that I've submitted (in turn) to several of their agents and heard absolutely nothing back.

In my submissions spreadsheet, they are the "Kings of No Response".

Last edited:

JoyMC

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.joymcculloughcarranza.com
i got a response from Alyssa Henkin, and fast. let me check my records ...

queried 5/26
form rejection 6/6

i totally understand non-responses on queries, but it's really too bad if they can't manage at least a form R for a partial/full. sorry about that.

nash

nom.nom.nom.nom
Registered
Reaction score
equery: 5/17
eject: 6/3

YA fantasy

best wishes to all

Brindle MacWuff

Registered
Reaction score
i got a response from Alyssa Henkin, and fast. let me check my records ...

queried 5/26
form rejection 6/6

i totally understand non-responses on queries, but it's really too bad if they can't manage at least a form R for a partial/full. sorry about that.

thanks JoyMC,

maybe they just hate the Brits! heh heh heh!

CharleyGirl

Glad to be here
Registered
Reaction score
Website
fallingleaflets.blogspot.com
Hi all,

Just popping in to see if anyone's waiting on a query/partial/full from Alyssa Eisner Henkin. My stats are:

Query: 7/2
Request (full): 7/5

Best of luck to all who are querying/waiting :)

JNKhoury

Registered
Reaction score
Charley, maybe it's too late to help you now, but I got a full request from Alyssa a week ago, and nudged her a few days ago after getting an offer from a different agent. She hadn't picked up the ms at all until the nudge, but then she read it super-fast. I think she may go a little more slowly unless put under pressure.

CharleyGirl

Glad to be here
Registered
Reaction score
Website
fallingleaflets.blogspot.com
Charley, maybe it's too late to help you now, but I got a full request from Alyssa a week ago, and nudged her a few days ago after getting an offer from a different agent. I think she may go a little more slowly unless put under pressure.

Thanks for the info, JNKhoury! I'm still waiting, but don't have an offer for leverage yet :)

pbkoufie

Registered
Reaction score
agent response time (merged into TMG thread in BR&BC)

Hi everyone.

So two days ago I sent what I thought was a well written query letter to an agent at the Trident Media Group in New York. I would like to know what the average response time to query letters from unpublished authors is at this agency. Thank you

sheadakota

part of the human equation
Registered
Reaction score
They will only reply if interested- then the wait time can be anywhere from immidiate (if sent by e-mail) to six weeks or longer. sit back and relax.

Tromboli

Hopelessly Hopeful
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.staceytrombley.com
But feel free to check out Querytracker.net. It has some interesting stats on queries and submissions. Including a percent of requested material and average times to receive a response. It's not exact information since it is based off of a limited amount on information but it is still helpful.

popgun62

Keeper of the pace.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.tobytatestories.com
Sent a query (with no pages) on 9/3/11 and got a request for a full on 9/9/11. Less than a week. The query was to Robert Gottlieb who referred it to a different agent - Scott Miller. They also want me to sign a release form, then fax it AND mail it back. They're very thorough: I like that. They'll be very thorough as my agent, as well.

aruna

On a wing and a prayer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sharonmaas.co.uk
Trident media Agency: E-Book Operations

I just got this mail from my agent. I just skimmed over it, and hope to hear some good feedback from you experts:

Dear Sharon,

I am very excited to inform you that Trident Media Group's latest endeavor, Trident E-Book Operations, is now launching. This new division allows our authors to self-publish electronic editions of their works, with the guidance from both their literary agent and the implementation and execution by Trident's dedicated E-Book Operations team, on a worldwide scale.

Trident has always been at the forefront of the industry, offering fully integrated services for our clients. These include our Business Affairs department, which handles Trident contracts in North America and internationally; our Accounting department that monitors all contracts and payments; as well as Trident’s foreign rights team that continues to excel in direct sales to foreign publications. Trident represents its clients at the London and Frankfurt international book fairs and Book Expo America in New York City every year, and continues to expand its scope of influence. Just this month, Trident was represented at the Moscow International Book Fair. Trident E-Book Operations will work closely with all sectors of Trident to ensure cohesive management of each individual Trident client.

We are all aware of how rapidly the publishing industry is changing, and that it will continue to evolve over time. Throughout these developments, Trident shall remain committed to delivering the highest standard of service for its clients and we look forward to extending the representation and management of our authors’ careers to the area of e-book publishing. Trident will not become a publisher, unlike some other literary agencies, as we believe it’s of the utmost importance that our interests are always aligned with yours.

I will be in contact in the coming days to discuss the operation with you in more detail. We will also be providing a complete list of industry professionals that Trident is partnering with in the categories of copyediting, cover design and marketing. I look forward to strategizing with you about the electronic rights availability on your works and how best to utilize the digital platform both in North America and internationally.

Attached is the press release that we will be circulating to the media, but I will be personally discussing these exciting changes with you.

Last edited:

aruna

On a wing and a prayer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sharonmaas.co.uk
This is the mentioned Press Release.
It sounds all good to me. But what do I know?

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Trident Launches E-Book Services for Authors
Clients to Receive Unprecedented Ability to Manage Content
NEW YORK, NY – September 26, 2011 – Trident Media Group, one of the
world's leading literary agencies, today announced that it is launching a new
e-book initiative, Trident E-Book Operations. This division will create,
manage and implement innovative e-book strategies for its authors,
including the distribution of a variety of e-books directly to a large number
of e-tailers in North America and internationally. Authors will have more
flexibility than ever before, as well as new potential domestic and foreign
revenue streams.
Robert Gottlieb, Chairman of Trident, said "Trident has been a leader in
innovative approaches in the representation of its authors, including in the
international markets with its "hot list", at the international book fairs and in
new audio licensing. We will continue to manage all facets of our clients'
businesses by the extension of our services into the ever-changing e-book
publishing business around the world. Trident Media Group will devise
strategies to maximize value for its authors in the new and complex e-book
publishing field. Trident will not become a publisher, but will instead
continue in its new e-book operations to have itself aligned with its clients
whose interests we serve as an agent and manager."
Trident's clients will be provided with a comprehensive suite of services –
ranging from digital conversion, digital jacket design, to marketing and
social media consultation – from some of the most highly sought after
professionals in the industry, and have advantageous relationships in all
areas applicable to e-books, including copy-editing, marketing and cover
design. Trident and its authors will have the ability to quickly change their ebook
programs in anticipation of the rapidly evolving worldwide e-book
marketplace.
Trident Media Group's E-Book Operations will include out-of-print,
backlist, new frontlist and original titles, special short-form nonfiction and
fiction works by its prize-winning authors, enhanced e-books and new
formats as the market develops, print-on-demand options, and new business
relationships with traditional and non-traditional publishers. Trident will
strategize with its authors regarding digital pricing, foreign sales and
translations. Trident will also continue to handle sales reporting and royalty
payments for all available digital editions. E-Book Operations services will
become part of Trident's general commission structure for all of the agency's
services.

Last edited:

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Trident's clients will be provided with a comprehensive suite of services –ranging from digital conversion, digital jacket design, to marketing and social media consultation – from some of the most highly sought after
professionals in the industry, and have advantageous relationships in all areas applicable to e-books, including copy-editing, marketing and cover design. Trident and its authors will have the ability to quickly change their ebook programs in anticipation of the rapidly evolving worldwide e-book
marketplace.
A couple of questions. Do you pay for these services? The editing and cover design? Or is this covered by the commission mentioned at the end?

Trident Media Group's E-Book Operations will include out-of-print,
backlist, new frontlist and original titles, special short-form nonfiction and fiction works by its prize-winning authors, enhanced e-books and new formats as the market develops, print-on-demand options, and new business relationships with traditional and non-traditional publishers.

New titles as well as backlist? Original material? Partner with trad. and non-trad publishers? Are they going to be encouraging their authors to self-publish now or to write for their e-imprint? Are they shopping your work to publishers? What do they mean by non-traditional? Epubs?

Trident will also continue to handle sales reporting and royalty
payments for all available digital editions. E-Book Operations services will become part of Trident's general commission structure for all of the agency's services.

So you are "self-publishing" but they are keeping a commission and all reporting goes through them? That isn't really self-publishing. Looks more like they are the publisher to me. They handle editing, marketing, cover art, etc. and you receive a portion of the income. Smells to me like they are setting themselves up as the publisher.

aruna

On a wing and a prayer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sharonmaas.co.uk
I have no idea as to all these questions, SoccerMom. But it's good to have questions to ask. Keep them coming!
I know there is one book I would be eager to SP right now, but I would need help; a partner of some kind.
And then of course there's my backlist, my out-of-print first novel; the rights have reverted to me. I currently have a possibilty for that book, but if it doesn't work out I would love to SP it.

But again: I could not do it alone. I would be happy to pay a commision if my agency helped me along the way. It all depends, of course, on the conditions. I have absolutely no business sense so am happy to hear all the pros and cons.

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
You can also look around at other publishers. There are some epubs out there which do take reprints and publish author backlists. It's a good compromise if you don't want to do all the formatting and covers and stuff yourself. Shop around and get yourself the best deal you can. :) Good luck.