• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

[Agency] Trident Media Group

RoccoMom

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.catsbooksmorecats.blogspot.com
Release form - new??????

I"m still waiting for a reply on my partial.I had to sign a release form too. Is tis a new procedure, does anyone know? standard among other agencies? the first time I submitted to Trident there was no release form but when they requested my partial on June 16th I had to sign and fax over the release form before they could read anything.

Irysangel

She of Many Names
Registered
Reaction score
When I dealt with Trident (at some point last year) they had me sign a release form as well.

And when they requested a second manuscript from me, again, same thing. Couldn't read without release form.

It's S.O.P. for them. I'm guessing they're big enough that they've probably been sued before, so it's just a fail-safe on their end.

Good luck!

rchastain

Registered
Reaction score
I queried by email, sent the full by email, and no release form was ever mentioned. RC

maddythemad

Registered
Reaction score
Ooh, me too! Well, I just sent a query, not actual pages, but no one has responded to me yet. It's possible that TMG isn't interested in my stuff (very possible) but I'm not that worried because I have it out with several other agents. Good luck to everyone!

Scrawler

Bored fanatic
Registered
Reaction score
Me too- signed a release form when they asked for first 50 pages. Requested entire MS but was rejected. I felt they responded in a timely and professional manner.
(I deserved to be rejected, so I'm going to query them again when my rewrites/reveision/editing is done.)

RoccoMom

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.catsbooksmorecats.blogspot.com
Interesting. As far as I know, Trident is the only agency so far that requests one.

oh, and PS, it's a thumbs-down on the partial. Just got the rejection this morning. Still not in love with my character.

Last edited:

aruna

On a wing and a prayer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sharonmaas.co.uk
I sent one of their agents an e-query. I got a reply from another agent who has recently moved there. The original agent had passed her my query, and she asked for a full ms. No release form.

CaitlinK18

"Sephiroth is my bishie!"
Registered
Reaction score
I got a full request recently off an e-query and I had to sign the release thingy.

clara bow

Li'l Rug Bug
Registered
Reaction score
Sending out good vibes!

Here's hoping at least one person here gets an offer of representation.

As of this date it's been about three months since I sent the query (and five weeks since submitting requested revisions). It's weird, it doesn't seem that long. I'm totally on edge, though, and have stopped querying elswhere. Sigh. That's poor strategy, I know. At least I'm continuing to work on my next project.

goodlucktousgoodlucktousgoodlucktous

clara bow

Li'l Rug Bug
Registered
Reaction score
Received an email apologizing for the delay (six weeks, a delay?!! What is that, like a second in the publishing world?) and an assurance that the (revised) manuscript review will be finished this week.

I thought that was awfully lovely. Didn't even have to nudge (not that I was thinking of doing that in the least). Darn. I think I'm falling in love with this agency.

Patty Collier

Registered
Reaction score
Still Waiting

I am so sorry for the thumbs down. I am really dreading the thoughts of getting one. I am watching and listening and hope when it comes I will handle it in such a positive way. It has been since 8-10 since I sent back my signed waiver. Any way to read the tea leaves????

No joke, I do appreciate the company. I know of no one else who can give me the help this site does. None of my associates hae had this experience and it is terribly difficult to discuss it with them.

Patty Collier

Registered
Reaction score
clara bow said:
good luck, Patty! I'm waiting for a reply from Trident, too, so let's keep our fingers crossed together!

Think positive. I am still as excited as a kid at Christmas. I will definitely keep all of you in my prayers, for success-

May I ask another question. I think my writing is fair in the editing department but definitely not professionally edited. I saw where the editors were charging approximately $2500 an edit. How concerned should I be? My book almost writes itself. My characters have taken control of the keyboard but sometimes they really muck up the mechanics. Also, is there a concern that someone will steal your manuscript or your idea when you send it out? Should it be copyrighted? (or is that copywrited lol) Any suggestions???

Last edited:

Thomma Lyn

Cat Wrangler
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.thommalyngrindstaff.com
Got a positive response from Trident to my query and sent a partial, a bio, a synopsis, and the release thingie. I'm excited but also trying not to get my hopes up too high. I'll keep my fingers and toes crossed for all of us. :)

(edited for typo)

Last edited:

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madhousemanor.wordpress.com
Patty Collier said:
May I ask another question. I think my writing is fair in the editing department but definitely not professionally edited. I saw where the editors were charging approximately $2500 an edit. How concerned should I be?

You should not be particularly concerned.

You'll need to earn to write. You'll have to do it sooner or later; why not now? Get a high school review workbook and do all the exercises. That's all it will take.

Fact one: All that getting your book professionally edited gets you is edited slush.

Fact two: Your prose only needs to be workmanlike-or-better.

Fact three: If you can produce two consecutive pages of grammatical English prose with standard spellings you're already in the top 10% of the slush pile.

Also, is there a concern that someone will steal your manuscript or your idea when you send it out?

This isn't a concern at all. Ideas can't be copyrighted in any case. Nor will an agent or publisher steal your manuscript. The cost of acquiring a book is the smallest part of the entire cost to publish it. If they can't afford the couple of thousand bucks it would cost to acquire the manuscript from you they can't afford any of the rest either.

Should it be copyrighted? (or is that copywrited lol) Any suggestions???

It's "copyrighted" (literally, the 'right to make copies'). And no, it shouldn't be registered. There are many reasons not to register your work. There are no good ones to register it.

If you haven't yet read Slushkiller, do it now.

CaitlinK18

"Sephiroth is my bishie!"
Registered
Reaction score
Just to add an update to my Trident story upthread...Scott Miller at Trident was very interested in my full, but I ended up accepting Rachel Vater's offer before he was able to respond definitively yay or nay (I think I caught him during a week he was on vacation.) He was professional, enthusastic and a real sweetheart. Trident is good people.

Patty Collier

Registered
Reaction score
James D. Macdonald said:
You should not be particularly concerned.

You'll need to earn to write. You'll have to do it sooner or later; why not now? Get a high school review workbook and do all the exercises. That's all it will take.

Fact one: All that getting your book professionally edited gets you is edited slush.

Fact two: Your prose only needs to be workmanlike-or-better.

Fact three: If you can produce two consecutive pages of grammatical English prose with standard spellings you're already in the top 10% of the slush pile.

Excellent advice. It greatly relieves my fears.

This isn't a concern at all. Ideas can't be copyrighted in any case. Nor will an agent or publisher steal your manuscript. The cost of acquiring a book is the smallest part of the entire cost to publish it. If they can't afford the couple of thousand bucks it would cost to acquire the manuscript from you they can't afford any of the rest either.

I did assume that but it is all so new. I am thrilled that there is somewhere I can come to get answers.

It's "copyrighted" (literally, the 'right to make copies'). And no, it shouldn't be registered. There are many reasons not to register your work. There are no good ones to register it.

If you haven't yet read Slushkiller, do it now.

Again, excellent words of wisdom. I will definitely read it.

Mr. Macdonald,
A sincere thanks for this bit of information. To the more seasoned, I am sure, this seems common place. I feel a bit like a deer in the headlighhts and this information has been very helpful.

(I thought a slushkiller would be the sun. Lots for me to learn!)

Patty Collier

Registered
Reaction score
Congratulations CaitlinK

CaitlinK18 said:
Just to add an update to my Trident story upthread...Scott Miller at Trident was very interested in my full, but I ended up accepting Rachel Vater's offer before he was able to respond definitively yay or nay (I think I caught him during a week he was on vacation.) He was professional, enthusastic and a real sweetheart. Trident is good people.

That is so wonderful to hear. I am pleased for you. I know it will go well for you!

Marlowe

Duck of Death
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.badmovieplanet.com
CaitlinK18 said:

That is terrific news- I just found this board doing a search on Trident, and Mr. Miller is the one who responded with interest to my query letter. (I suppose technically his assistant did, but at this point, it's alllllll good.) It's nice to hear such positive things about the agency.

Man, I'm really excited; I've been writing since I was eleven, and this is the closest I've been to, well, anything. Sort of torn between getting really psyched, and then talking myself down so I won't get too disappointed if I have to look elsewhere.

My only concern is that I'm unable to send the complete manuscript. Normally, I wouldn't have sent out queries with an unfinished novel, but this a new experience for me; I'm publishing the book in serial format online (see the link below, or don't), and I wanted to get in touch with a professional to see what the best way to handle the site is in terms of trying to get published in hard copy later on. I feel a little guilty, though, like I may have jumped the gun.

Fingers crossed, anyway. I just wanted to jump in and say how much I appreciated finding this board- please ignore my foray into personal psychodrama. :)

Patty Collier

Registered
Reaction score
The Answer You Don't Want.. but an answer!

clara bow said:
good luck, Patty! I'm waiting for a reply from Trident, too, so let's keep our fingers crossed together!

Woe is me... my full was turned down. "I am just not enthusiastic' (sad lip) but very professional and polite. I do have another agent at the same agency reading a partial... keep on hoping!!!!

BJ Bourg

Flash Bang Mysteries
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bjbourg.com
Thanks to everyone who posted information about Trident. I queried one of the agents (from the New York office) Thursday night at 11:20 PM. Her assistant responded at 6:51 the next morning and requested the full manuscript. She sent along the waiver some of you mentioned. I signed it and mailed it to them. I'm now sitting back with all fingers and toes crossed...

bjb

Carmy

Banned
Reaction score
What a fascinating thread!

I checked out Trident last night, came here to get the lowdown, and got it. (Love the sound of the agency but hate their website layout.)

One thing became obvious as I read the comments here - agents within Trident vary in their response time. Some questions I have:

When I read the agent bios, I saw that some had more clients than others. How much does that affect the response time, or the willingness to take on another author? (I know, dumb question.)

Should I look at submitting to the agent with the fewest clients, even though the one with the most clients has the background I think an agent would need for my novel?

If I have two novels to submit, should I query the same agent or send to two different agents within Trident? (Remember their warning not to send to two agents.)

I've just fired an agent. Should I mention it in my query, because a search of my author name would bring up that agency? (That's if they would bother to do a search.)

The agent I just fired has 30 days when she can still offer my work to publishers. Does that affect any dealings with Trident?

Whew! I think those are all my questions. For now.

Thank you for any input or advice you can offer.

Carmy