• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

[Agency] Trident Media Group

SKHMOM

Registered
Reaction score
I followed your advice and have emailed both Melissa and Scott. Both have responded to me. Scott said that since Melissa has it he is not going to consider it at this time. Which I assume means I can resubmit it to him if she declines.
Melissa wrote back within 10 minutes and said it would not be an issure for her. She told me she'd get back to me within a couple of days.

So I'm crossing my fingers!

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
Congatulations - you clearly have one hot property.
I never heard back from Scott Miller when I queried him.

SKHMOM

Registered
Reaction score
Okay so it looks like they already knew, this email is very promising I think!!!! I hope she signs me! If not I am going to be really bummed!!!

Thanks, Stephanie. No worries. I actually was excited enough about the pages I had read last week that I mentioned it at the staff meeting and Scott mentioned he thought you had queried him too. Given the romance angle it is probably more up my alley in any case

Melissa Flashman
Literary Agent

Leukman

Pernicious...n'stuff.
Registered
Reaction score
SKH, I'm very curious to know your "entry status" with this. Are you a first time novelist? Did you go in with some kind of credentials or referral of any sort? Or is all this the result of a blind query with nay but a well written letter and a great "property" (as waylander put it)?

I think we're all very curious what quality about your "entry" has you and your work on the top of the discussion lists, getting 10 minute email responses, not to mention regular updates AS they read your ms.

Are you new to all this, or is there some reason these peeps would be so interested?

Yours truly,

Curious George

SKHMOM

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for your question. I am completely new to all of this. This is the first book I've ever written and so I'm really kind of shocked it's gotten the interest it has. I would highly recommend Melissa Flashman at Trident to anyone selling a novel. Mine is a Young Adult Novel which she has been wonderful about! And believe me if it can happen this way for me, then it CAN happen this way for anyone!
I hope we all get signed soon!!!!

SKHMOM

Registered
Reaction score
By the way just for the record, I'm not signed yet! But I am crossing my fingers!!!

Leukman

Pernicious...n'stuff.
Registered
Reaction score
I would like you to pry a key out of your keyboard--any key will do, but I'd prefer a vowel--and rub it on your...uh, anywhere...just so some luck comes off and sticks. Then I will send a courier to pick it up. Please PM me your addresss.

Thanks much. Your help is appreciated. :D

Okay, Okay - I'll buy you a new keyboard too. Sheesh.

MsGneiss

Registered
Reaction score
SKHMOM - Congrats! It certainly sounds like you are on your way to being signed, and Trident is HUGE!!! Keep us posted - this sounds like the making of a wonderful success story.

yeswecan

Registered
Reaction score
Good for you! My ms. has been there for over three months (diff agent) but no word so far, and certainly no recent e-mails... wondering if I should "nudge" the agent?
Fingers crossed for both of us!!

SKHMOM

Registered
Reaction score
I hope no one feels bad because of my posts. Just an FYI, I sent out a lot of Queries and a LOT have not responded to me. I think it's a matter of getting your work into just the right hands. And I feel Trident, as a busy company is probably really really busy, I just got lucky...and that's the end of it!
I wish you all the best!

Voyager

Ribbed for your pleasure.
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, I was reading this earlier and was hoping the update was about an offer! If anyone feels bad, they shouldn't. That would just be silly and unproductive. Good luck, SK. My fingers and toes are crossed.

Noah Body

Entertainment Ronin
Registered
Reaction score
I hope no one feels bad because of my posts. Just an FYI, I sent out a lot of Queries and a LOT have not responded to me. I think it's a matter of getting your work into just the right hands. And I feel Trident, as a busy company is probably really really busy, I just got lucky...and that's the end of it!
I wish you all the best!

If someone feels bad because your work is generating some positive commentary, I would advise you not to worry about it. Life's too short.

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I wish you all the best!
Of course not! We love success stories around here; makes it all feel worth our time.

But deep down inside, we all secretly hate you with the intensity of 10,000 burning nuns and wish it was us. :LilLove:

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
FWIW -- less than a week turn around for a very polite form reject. :( But it's better than silence and wondering. (A. heinken was the agent)

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
Is Trident a "No from one = no from all" agency? I ask because the agent I queried specializes in children's books. Mine's YA, so I thought that would be the way to go, but it's advanced YA (upper teen, and a bit edgy to be considered straight "kid" fare). That could have put someone whose focus is younger off.

SusanH

Registered
Reaction score
I would query them all...lol...Maybe someone here would know if they show it at work....I have queried a couple with a very bad query so I am waiting awhile and query them again with my better query....

Leukman

Pernicious...n'stuff.
Registered
Reaction score
Well, finally heard back from Scott Miller. It was an R on the full. He thanked me for my patience - it had been a little more than 5 months (before and through the holidays), which, for Trident, I don't think is so far out of the ballpark.

Too bad. Miller was my very first query sent way back then, and in two days time turned into my very first ms request. I've since had four other ms rejections, so some part of me thought maybe that very first response still held hope.

S'all good - I still have a partial with another agent, and the latest round of queries to look forward to responses...

I guess the point of this post is to note that 5-6 months for reply on an ms is probably not unusual with this agency. Best of luck to those who still await a response.

Leukman out.

:D

yeswecan

Registered
Reaction score
Sorry, Leukman, but at least you were rejected by one of the best! Any personal feedback or comments? Maybe it has more to do w/ the economy than your novel?

Think I'll try the agent ASAP but I'm not holding my breath...thanks for the help, all!

victoriastrauss

Writer Beware Goddess
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.victoriastrauss.com
We're off topic. Again. On the same subject.

I'm closing the thread temporarily to prune out the posts about agents and response times, which I will join into a single thread and port to the Ask the Agent topic. Stay tuned.

- Victoria

victoriastrauss

Writer Beware Goddess
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.victoriastrauss.com

christinalbarr

Registered
Reaction score
I first contacted Jenny Bent with my query and she asked for the first ten pages. She said that she was sorry and she really liked the concept, but it wasn't for her. She said I had a very distinctive style, so I wouldn't be right for everyone, but she did say that I should find great success when it gets out there.

So I sent out my query to Melissa Flashman and she said it was "very intriguing." She asked for my entire manuscript.

From what I've researched, I should be fine sending it. She shouldn't be trying to steal it, but I'm really nervous. Should I be?