• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

[Agency] Trident Media Group

Noah Body

Entertainment Ronin
Registered
Reaction score
Good question! But they now have room for one more, I received a rejection on my August full submission. Ah well, the fight continues.

grommet

Registered
Reaction score
I keep debating whether or not to enter the fray on this...

I'm a Trident client. I'm very happy there. My agent is exceedingly responsive to communication (if 24 hours pass without a response to an email, you can bet that it's because he's out of the office). I'm not a big dog, but I'm treated like I am.

I signed with them several years/books ago, so my experience with querying may not be typical (a phone call about 30 days after a partial was received asking for the full to be emailed immediately). But I can tell you this: I started querying agents in December. By the time I'd sold my book the following October, I was still getting rejection letters from agents who'd had partials and fulls from that initial round of queries the year before (and boy, there's no better rejection to receive than one you just don't care about anymore).

It's a slow business. But I don't think it's fair to assume that the way you're treated in this initial stage is indicative of how you'll be treated if you become a client. And as many other folks have said, if your agent is doing their job right, current clients are the top priority; the search for new clients isn't. And when you're waiting to hear back from an editor about something, believe me when I say you'll be glad that's the way things work.

grommet

kathleen_grant

Carpe Diem
Registered
Reaction score
I've received a really nice rejection from Jenny Bent... has anyone else gotten this one?

"Dear Ms. Grant, I’m sorry, this one wasn’t a good fit for me. You’re clearly talented but on a purely subjective level the voice doesn’t work for me."

I'm really hoping it's a personal rejection!

sistermorphine

getting weird, going pro
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sarahevekelly.com
I'm represented by Trident, and couldn't be happier for it. The amount of attention I get from an agent who has 40-odd other clients leads me to think that she mustn't ever sleep.

Prospective authors are welcome to be as discerning in their selection of agency/agent as agents are in their selection of clients. I rode the same rollercoaster as everyone else, and I know how difficult it is. But if you don't like the mandate, the website, the policies of the agency itself, why not just move on to the next guy?

Branwyn

Print release:Sept.1,'09
Registered
Reaction score
I had a pleasant experience with Trident. All within a reasonable amount of time. I think it was about 5 months for the response to my full ms. Which to me, for a busy agency, was normal. I was thrilled they requested the full. Unfortunately for me, they rejected it.

Erin

Listening to my other selves
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.erinrichards.com
I've received a really nice rejection from Jenny Bent... has anyone else gotten this one?

"Dear Ms. Grant, I’m sorry, this one wasn’t a good fit for me. You’re clearly talented but on a purely subjective level the voice doesn’t work for me."

I queried her over 4 months ago and she hasn't responded.

SusanH

Registered
Reaction score

Probably was. I have recieved one like that but with different wording. I feel if they didn't like it, they would have just not answered.

Juneluv12

Steel Magnolia & Snarky Pants
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kristaashe.webs.com

HI Kathleen,
Here's my rejection from Jenny Bent:

Your note is so sweet that I’m doubly sorry that this isn’t a fit for me. I love the concept and you are certainly a very good writer. I ask to see the first ten pages of a project I’m interested in because a writer’s voice is so important to me. And just as we sometimes have a hard time explaining why we like one person and not the next, it’s hard for me to articulate what I look for in terms of voice. Bottom line is that it’s just very subjective. I’m sure you will find an agent who will enthusiastically take you on and find the perfect publisher and I am so grateful that you gave me a chance.

All best wishes,
Jenny

I guess we got a similar thing on the "voice' part. It was so prompt and so nice that I just couldn't hate the rejection as much! Basically, she requested the 10 pages on a Saturday night, I submitted on Monday night, and I had a rejection on Tuesday night. I wish I could have landed her because she seems like a great person to work with. I decided to try Alyssa Henkin there. We'll see how that goes!

Dev

Registered
Reaction score
Just to update, I'm in a holding pattern for now. Sent my full to Mr. Miller in mid-January, and I checked to make sure they received all my materials last week. Got a quick "yes" the next day, so now I'm trying to keep busy with other stuff... Best of luck to others waiting. Keeping my fingers crossed.

--Dev

HeidiHole

Tom Sanders
Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
[agency] Trident Media Group

I checked to make sure they received all my materials last week.

I got nothing in response to even this inquiry. So I guess I know where I stand.

In this morning's e-mail was a rejection to a query dated November 4, 2008. Should I assume it sat in the agent's in-box for three months and nine days without being deleted or even opened? Wow. And I thought I was busy.

Ghost Writer

In the beyond
Registered
Reaction score
Website
michellemuto.wordpress.com
I just assumed they were one of the agencies that didn't respond unless interested. You mean they eventually send rejections? Oops. I thought since nothing was on their website (more or less) about response time, that after 12 weeks I just queried a different agent there. Maybe I shouldn't have?

Mind you, I'm not complaining about lack of response - it seems that's the trend these days. But I'm just concerned that I may have goofed in not letting enough time lapse? Great agency, IMO. I'd hate to blow any chance I had.

Last edited:

Leukman

Pernicious...n'stuff.
Registered
Reaction score
Good luck Dev. Buckle up and relax -- Miller has had my full since last September. I, too, got confirmation of receipt. I status queried last month, but have had no response.

Not sure how hard to press. I know the industry has taken a hurtin' just like everything else, and if they need longer to decide what to take on based on success with the current load, then I'll wait. I've learned that those who press too hard seem to end up with a big R, almost as though if you need and answer, you'll get one, but if you force them to provide that answer, they'll lean to the downside as a default.

Leukman

Pernicious...n'stuff.
Registered
Reaction score
Do yourself a favor--don't call and ask 'em where you stand. :D

:D

Point exactly.

In a way, it's like not wanting to check your lottery numbers. It's almost better not knowing you didn't win. Then you can still dream a little dream...

Leukman

Pernicious...n'stuff.
Registered
Reaction score
Stephanie? Is that you?

SusanH

Registered
Reaction score
I am waiting on John Silbersack. rejected by Eileen Cope

SKHMOM

Registered
Reaction score
Hello everyone I am new to this thread. First I'd like your opinion on Melissa Flashman. Has anyone had any dealings with her. I have received a few emails from her.
-----
I just wanted to touch base and let you know that I’ve finally had a chance to start reading TAINTED. You ARE a very talented writer and I am very eager to finish it!

Best,
Melissa

AND

Further to my e-mail, I assume you are sharing this manuscript with other agents. I only ask that you check in with me before signing with anyone else.

All the best,
Mel

I just forwarded the revised manuscript to my assistant to print in and bring in right away, so I’ll switch over that version. What I really love about Allie is her poignant relationship with her mother. It’s conveyed so wonderfully and respects Allie as a teen with wisdom and insight. I think teen readers will really appreciate that.

Ok, back to reading.

Best,
Mel
-----
Has anyone else received anything like this from her? She of course had my complete manuscript. By the way Scott Miller requested it too. I hope it's not bad they both have it, should I let them know or just wait it out? She typically has been responding to me within 10 minutes, but I'm trying not to get too excited!
-Stephanie

Last edited by a moderator:

Leukman

Pernicious...n'stuff.
Registered
Reaction score
Holy bouncing badgers, SKH. From the sounds of it, I wonder why she hasn't already offered representation.

You absolutely need to let her know that Scott has the ms too. And you should probably let Scott know that she's reading it. It's usually taboo to query more than one agent in an agency at a time, so before you PO someone, I'd recommend you fess up and write it off to a clerical error on your part or something...

And, finally, no. I don't believe that the ongoing communication and positive commentary you've received are AT ALL 'normal.'

Hold on to your britches! :D

Ghost Writer

In the beyond
Registered
Reaction score
Website
michellemuto.wordpress.com
I'm with Leukman. With correspondence like that, I'm wondering why you haven't gotten "the call."

So, you queried Scott, and then queried Melissa? How far apart?

I'm asking because in my experience, the 5 times I've queried any agent within Trident, I've gotten complete silence. No rejection - nothing. That's for two books, five different agents.

SKHMOM

Registered
Reaction score
I finished my book in January and began sending it by email query. Since Feb. 3rd I have received 9 requests for partials and fulls. Of those all who requested partials have since asked for the full ms. One, who read partial has passed. I didn't realize both Scott and Melissa were from Trident originally until they both requested it. Both asked for the Full manuscript. I just emailed Melissa and made her aware of my error. I hope it doesn't hurt my chances!!! I feel like it's been really positive for me because I've only had my query out for 3 weeks!

-SKH

Leukman

Pernicious...n'stuff.
Registered
Reaction score
SKH, I'm sorry it has been such a drawn out and painfull query process for you. Most of us don't have to wait so long and suffer such minimal interest. Hopefully this will wrap up quickly and you can move on to getting that three-book-six-figure deal.

:e2tongue:

Okay, Okay, Okay. I'm being entirely sarcastic (if you didn't know). Sounds like you're on the fast track we all dream of. Congrats and best of luck!!

I look forward to hearing about your book deal!! :D