• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

[Agency] Trident Media Group

shameless

Superlative Type A
Registered
Reaction score
West of somewhere and a click south of nowhere
Website
www.sandy-james.com
Thanks! I'm tentatively letting myself get excited! If nothing else - at least she saw potential! I'll keep you updated with the result (I'm sure months from now!)

Good luck!

My submission has been at Trident since the middle of May. From information on this thread, I'm not holding my breath as I wait to hear back. Like you, I let myself get a little excited, but I always temper it with some real world cynicism. :)

trwithe

Registered
Reaction score
Website
tomwither.blogspot.com
Nappy,

Go ahead and run with it, but keep it to just one victory lap. The request for my MS was businesslike, not showered with praise, so it sounds like you've got some good interest from the agent you queried. I would suggest you save the big victory dance for after "the call".

I hope everything goes well for you. Trident has a great reputation.

Tom

ThatMovieAnnouncerGuy

Registered
Reaction score
Just because you get "the call" from Trident doesn't mean you get an agent. Trust me on that one. No names because they're still considering me. And my original request was loaded with those same words. This isn't a negative post and I still hope to sign with them. But it is a "hold your horses" post. Good luck.

Giant Baby

Oh, the humanity.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
My request was warm but definitely business-like, from the requesting agent's assistant. She's had my full since January.

Congrats on the request, and good luck!

clara bow

Li'l Rug Bug
Registered
Reaction score
Do they always request manuscripts saying they are extremely excited to read the manuscript and that they think the book sounds highly intriguing? Or is unusual for a request to be so overly positive from Trident?
Anyone?

The first time I submitted, the request sounded like yours ("it sounds exciting!").

The second time the request was 100% all business ("your idea sounds interesting.")

Both times the agent sat on the full for a year (I'm still waiting to hear back on the second).

I also think it depends on who the assistant is. Your mileage may vary (I sure hope it's better than mine!).

RedPen99

Registered
Reaction score
I too got the "sounds exciting" request for a full from Trident (within days after sending an e-query). Less than 2 days after I sent the full, I got an e-mail from the agent with personalized response and a request to set up a phone conversation to discuss "what you are looking for in an agent." I'm assuming this is good news, right? Or is there still a chance she'll reject me?? (I feel so needy.)

vixey

C'est la vie!
Registered
Reaction score
Just wanted to echo the question about query waits. Kimberly Whalen has had mine for almost 3 months. Should I just take it as a 'no' or resend it?

shameless

Superlative Type A
Registered
Reaction score
West of somewhere and a click south of nowhere
Website
www.sandy-james.com
I too got the "sounds exciting" request for a full from Trident (within days after sending an e-query). Less than 2 days after I sent the full, I got an e-mail from the agent with personalized response and a request to set up a phone conversation to discuss "what you are looking for in an agent." I'm assuming this is good news, right? Or is there still a chance she'll reject me?? (I feel so needy.)

Sounds very promising! Good luck!

I actually pulled my submission to Kimberly Whalen because I sold the book. At the time I pulled it, she'd had it almost five months. That isn't unusual for a big house like Trident, and I surely didn't hold it against her.

Quincy160

Registered
Reaction score
Anyone have any turnaround times for Melissa Flashman? She has my full manuscript and seems like she might be the perfect agent for my book. Her request was also very enthusiastic, but I'm wondering if that might be typical.

Leukman

Pernicious...n'stuff.
Registered
Reaction score
Just to share my experience: My very first query submission, on my first complete novel, was to SM at Trident. Two days later I got a request for full MS. I just about wet myself.

It's been 24 days now since sending the MS via email, and I did get a confirmation of rcpt from Stephanie Sun. I know I'm probably setting myself up for disappointment, but I'm eagerly waiting…and of course hoping for the best.

Incidentally, I've since had other requests for full and a partial from two other agencies, so the initial wet-my-pants thing has worn off a bit, but I'm chewing what’s left of my nails for either my first official R or some damn good news...

...from someone...

...before I have a heart stinkin attack.

Augustine

Registered
Reaction score
Luekman,

Be prepared to wait a lot longer than 24 days. Here has been my process with Trident. Feb 2007 sent out query.
March 2007, I get response from agent's assistant asking for the first three chapters.
April 2007: On April 15 I send follow up e-mail. I receive no response.
May 2007: I shoot out another follow up on May 15th. Again, I receive no response.
June 2007: I shoot out one more follow up. No response.
July 2007: I start researching other agents. THen on July 20th, the agent's assistant contacts me out of the blue saying the agent really liked the first three chapters and wants to see the full ms if I'm still seeking representation.
July 2007: I send full manuscript.
August 2007: I hear nothing.
Sept 2007: I hear nothing.
October 2007: I send a follow up e-mail. I get no response.
November 2007: I send another follow up e-mail. No response.
December 2007: I send another follow up e-mail. This time the assistant responds via telephone telling me that an intern lost the ms, so would I be willing to send another copy.
December 2007: I send in new copy of ms.
February 2008: Assistant calls telling me that the agent and she really like the ms, but it needs a little work. They really want to work with me. Said agent will be calling me in next couple of weeks to discuss.
February 2008: Agent calls me, says he really liked the ms, but it needs work. Says he'll send back the first 38 pages where he made changes, gives a couple of suggestions over the phone and says he's looking forward to seeing the revisions.
March 2008: On the 18th, I receive the 38 edited pages.
May 21, 2008: I send in the revised ms.
June 1, 2008: Agent calls with a quick question.
July 2008: I e-mail follow up. No response.
August 2008: I follow up again, and still get no response.
Sept 2008: I follow up around Labor Day, and assistant tells me that the agent has taken the ms home for the weekend, and he'll have gone through it by the end of next week.
October 2008: I e-mail again to find out status. No response. Then I decide to just use the phone. I catch his assistant off guard. I tell her that I was basically lead to believe that I really shouldn't send the ms out to any other agents. She says they appreciate how patient I've been. So I say: if the agent isn't interested in my ms anymore, could I just be notified? After all, there are other agents in the same agency I could contact, too. I'm told that my request is fair, but have heard nothing since, and we're now moving close to another month gone by. I just e-mailed again earlier this week. Again, no response.

Leukman

Pernicious...n'stuff.
Registered
Reaction score
Wow. A long wait indeed. :Shrug: I have to wonder how much of that maybe was imcompetence (perhaps that's too strong a word) on the part of the assistant???

I'm curious which agent at Trident? I've PM'd you that question if you'd rather not divulge here...

Either way, I never would imagine the process being that long, and I'm not sure I could have stuck with it as patiently as you have (no, I know I would've moved on...). I've got many other queries out there while awaiting my response from Scott, including another ms request and partial request. He didn't (his assistant didn't) request an exclusive, so I chug along while in waiting for a call from Mr. Dream Agent.

I will say - it does sound like you might be on the high road to representation? And just think how glorious that day would be after your two year trial!!! :D Best of luck - I'm really looking forward to an update when you hear back.

Prawn

Writing is finite,revising infinite
Registered
Reaction score
Luekman,

Be prepared to wait a lot longer than 24 days. Here has been my process with Trident. Feb 2007 sent out query.

Okay then, what is the policy on simultaneous subs? Seeing as these people take a long time and they often don't tell you if there has been a rejection, it seems like they should expect simultaneous subs.

Seems like if I e-mailed agent A at Trident five or six weeks ago and never heard back I should go ahead and e-mail agent B at Trident. Then at least you could sub most of the agents there in the course of a year or two.

brimfire

Registered
Reaction score
Holy cow, Augustine. I'm frustrated for you. I had an agent at Trident reading my partial for a while. I followed up after three months. It took the assistant three weeks to respond, but at least he responded saying the agent was still reading. It took about another month for the rejection.

Prawn: I think if you follow up once or twice after a reasonable amount of time and receive no response from the agent, it's okay to go ahead and query another one there. If by some chance you end up in the awkward situation of both agents wanting to rep your book, that's the first agent's fault (or his assistant's fault) for being nonresponsive and slow.

Prawn

Writing is finite,revising infinite
Registered
Reaction score
I would certainly follow up on a partial or full, but why follow up on a query? It seems if you wait a month or two without hearing anything, you can assume it is a rejection.

cate townsend

Registered
Reaction score
I would certainly follow up on a partial or full, but why follow up on a query? It seems if you wait a month or two without hearing anything, you can assume it is a rejection.

Yeah. I queried (snail mail w/ SASE) an agent there in February 2008 and have heard nothing. I marked it R.

Psyche

Registered
Reaction score
Wow. Sounds like some of you have had very frustrating experiences with Trident. I queried an agent there in mid-October and heard back a week later with a request for my full (via an assistant). The assistant didn't respond to my follow-up email a week or two later confirming that the material and special release form they require made it over safely...sounds like a lot of the same. Communication may not be a strong point, which does raise a red flag. I will wait for another month or two and see what happens, but after reading many of the posts on here, I'm not holding my breath!

Noah Body

Entertainment Ronin
Registered
Reaction score
I queried Miller on 8/26 and received a request for the full manuscript on 8/27. Filled out the paperwork and sent everything in via email (with the signed agreement following on in the mail). Have not heard anything since, though I did query his assistant, Stephanie Sun, at the 8 and 11 week marks. I guess my mileage is about on par with a lot of others, so I'm not freaking over it...though I do feel a twinge of annoyance. ;)

ChelseaWriter

Registered
Reaction score
I queried Miller on 8/26 and received a request for the full manuscript on 8/27. Filled out the paperwork and sent everything in via email (with the signed agreement following on in the mail). Have not heard anything since, though I did query his assistant, Stephanie Sun, at the 8 and 11 week marks. I guess my mileage is about on par with a lot of others, so I'm not freaking over it...though I do feel a twinge of annoyance. ;)

I sent my third email status inquiry (since last December) about three weeks ago, and haven't heard anything but crickets. They've had my full for one year.

I'm trying to stay positive - Trident has such an amazing reputation and I realize I'm lucky to have them looking at a full in the first place. But, I admit, I'm getting a little frustrated, here...

Last edited:

Tigercub

Registered
Reaction score
I queried Trident Media early this year, in Jan or Feb. I never got any kind of reply. Do they respond to queries at all? Or do they respond only if they think you're the next best selling award winning writer and the rest of us can go take a jump?

SusanH

Registered
Reaction score
wow, I hope not. I would even be happy to get a form rejection letter from them quickly. I queried John Silbersack last week. I researched a few books he was agent for when I picked him, but I had no idea he was one of the best at Trident.

Giant Baby

Oh, the humanity.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Kim Whalen's had the full of my first book since January. I haven't nudged, as I noticed the trend in this thread for those who have seems to be a prompt form rejection.

I'm currently focusing on shopping my second, and have a number of fulls and partials in play. If I get a nibble, I'll send her a note. Otherwise, I've mostly forgotten about it.