Santa, the last of the wildmen

AW Amazon Store

If this site is helpful to you,
Please consider a voluntary subscription to defray ongoing expenses.

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Page 38 of 38 FirstFirst ... 132832333435363738

Thread: [Agency] Trident Media Group

Writer & nobody, not in that order DanielJSmithAyo's Avatar
    Daizy,

Agents are busy, this is true. But from their standpoint, let's think about it: their major commitment is to their signed clients, as they're the ones making them money. And let's be honest: if you were her agent, wouldn't you want her pounding the pavement for you and ignoring all those pesky queries and manuscripts sitting on her desk?

Nudge in a bit, then if needed, move on. If it's a good manuscript (and I'm sure it is), you'll find what you're looking for. :-)

-Daniel

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin Daizylublue's Avatar
    I agree wholeheartedly!

figuring it all out
    Has anyone had any experience with Sarah Bush?

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

Ellen Levine, Trident Media

Hello,

At present, she has my partial manuscript (75 pages).

It's my understanding that she, like many agents, will only respond if she is interested in moving forward.

Has anyone had any experience with her requests for partial? If she moved forward with yours, I imagine she probably requested a full manuscript - how long did it take her to look over the partial, request the full, and look over the full? At what point should I assume she's just not interested?

At what point is a nudge appropriate? (Thus far, its only been three weeks, so I'm nowhere near that point yet. But maybe, ten weeks? Twelve? Never?)

If another agent has requested an exclusive, should I notify her?

Such a nasty woman SuperModerator Old Hack's Avatar
    Check her submission guidelines for information about whether a nudge might be appropriate: if she doesn't specify, it's usually ok to nudge after three months or so.

If another agent requests an exclusive you can't agree to it, as this agent already has your partial. The most you can do is offer to not accept any offers for a week or so, or to not send it out to anyone else for a week or so: but generally, exclusives aren't a good thing for writers and few agents ask for them anyway so I wouldn't worry.

It might be a good idea for this thread to be merged with Trident's thread in BR&BC. I'll see what the room mod thinks and if she agrees, it might be moved.

Also check her on querytracker.net and read the comments people have left regarding her response time. It may be helpful.

From Publisher's Lunch:

Melissa Flashman has joined Janklow & Nesbit as an agent. She was at Trident Media Group for the past 10 years.
    Running On Empty available now.

The Right Hand Rule
    available now.
    My website

practical experience, FTW Pisco Sour's Avatar
    I've had the request for a full from Mark Gottlieb off a Twitter pitch contest. Does anybody have recent experience working with him? He seems to represent sff. I haven't yet sent him the book, but I'm thinking of popping it over on Monday because he seems like a great agent. Thx.

Professor of applied misanthropy Drachen Jager's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pisco Sour View Post
    I've had the request for a full from Mark Gottlieb off a Twitter pitch contest. Does anybody have recent experience working with him? He seems to represent sff. I haven't yet sent him the book, but I'm thinking of popping it over on Monday because he seems like a great agent. Thx.
    Looks like we're submission buddies. I just got a full request from him off a cold query for an SFF manuscript (alternate historical, early 20th century).

From what I can see on QT, he's a fast reader (expect to hear back within a week) and he extends offers on a little over 10% of the material he requests. As you said, he seems like a good agent, so fingers crossed for both of us!

A list of things to do and avoid on your first page. (Not my blog post, kudos to the fabulous Anne Mini for compiling those.)

Quote Originally Posted by Drachen Jager View Post
    Looks like we're submission buddies. I just got a full request from him off a cold query for an SFF manuscript (alternate historical, early 20th century).

From what I can see on QT, he's a fast reader (expect to hear back within a week) and he extends offers on a little over 10% of the material he requests. As you said, he seems like a good agent, so fingers crossed for both of us!
    Good luck! I just got my rejection this morning. He 'liked' my pitch on Twitter contest, but won't be taking it any further. Ah well... It was nice to get the 'like'. Hope you get better news.

Professor of applied misanthropy Drachen Jager's Avatar
    Well at least you know the pitch is working.

I've submitted quite a few queries to Trident over the years, but this is the first request, so hopefully this is a good sign.

Good luck on future subs!

A list of things to do and avoid on your first page. (Not my blog post, kudos to the fabulous Anne Mini for compiling those.)

Quote Originally Posted by Drachen Jager View Post
    Well at least you know the pitch is working.

I've submitted quite a few queries to Trident over the years, but this is the first request, so hopefully this is a good sign.

Good luck on future subs!
    Thanks! At the moment 10 agents are reading the full, so I'm crossing fingers and toes. I'm also wondering now if I can query somebody else at Trident, or it they're a 'no from one means no from all' agency.

Hope this time you get the answer you want!

I write novels
    Quote Originally Posted by Pisco Sour View Post
    I'm also wondering now if I can query somebody else at Trident, or it they're a 'no from one means no from all' agency.
    Their submissions page on the agency website says:

After the expiration of a 30-day period following a submission to a Trident agent, you may make a submission to another agent at Trident.
    So, yes, you can query other agents there.

figuring it all out
    Just to add some context for everyone, I queried a couple of agents at this agency and received no response. They're not a very responsive agency and if not interested, most likely won't even send you a form rejection. Also if you try to send more than one query in 30 days it won't actually go through, their little online form will tell you you need to wait longer before trying again.

Writer Beware Goddess Absolute Sage victoriastrauss's Avatar
    Writer Beware has recently gotten several serious complaints about Mark Gottlieb. Please email me for more information: beware@sfwa.org.

- Victoria

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
    Mark Gottlieb was my agent for several months in 2017. Please PM for information.

Page 38 of 38 FirstFirst ... 132832333435363738