• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

[Agency] Trident Media Group

Phaeal

Whatever I did, I didn't do it.
Registered
Reaction score
Hmm, my post seems to have disappeared during the transfer of this thread from AW Roundtable. It was a long one, too.

Oh well. My main point was this. If Trident is proposing to guide its authors through the ever-changing electronic self-publishing process, providing advice and making referrals, this might be termed Assisted Self-Publishing, and it could be a legitimate agency function. Done thoroughly and ethically, with the usual agently functions thrown in, it could be well worth a 15% commission.

If the agency starts actually designing ebooks, though, that's verging on publishing in my mind. The mention of sending previously unpublished books on this route also raises questions. Would the agency advise this right off the bat for some books? Under what circumstances? A book with a definite but limited market might be a legit candidate. Or would Assisted Self-Publishing be a fall-back measure for books not taken on elsewhere?

One thing's for sure. The SP gurus should soon be howling at this invasion of their turf by LEGACY PUBLISHING MINIONS!

:D

aruna

On a wing and a prayer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sharonmaas.co.uk
I've been researching other mentions of this online, and I have a few answers already.
A couple of questions. Do you pay for these services? The editing and cover design? Or is this covered by the commission mentioned at the end?

I gather that the services are covered by the commission. I may be wrong...

New titles as well as backlist? Original material? Partner with trad. and non-trad publishers? Are they going to be encouraging their authors to self-publish now or to write for their e-imprint? Are they shopping your work to publishers? What do they mean by non-traditional? Epubs?
Yes, new titles as well. For instance, mss they are enthusiastic about but were unable to place with commercial publishers. Other questions: I don't know. Yet.

So you are "self-publishing" but they are keeping a commission and all reporting goes through them? That isn't really self-publishing. Looks more like they are the publisher to me. They handle editing, marketing, cover art, etc. and you receive a portion of the income. Smells to me like they are setting themselves up as the publisher.
No, the author is the publisher. That is, all rights stay with the author, unlike other agencies which act as bone fide e-publishers. Here, the author would not have a publishing contract with Trident. Trident acts as a manager, and the author pays them a commission. To my mind, that avoids the conflict of interest that was so controversial with the agent-as-publisher model.

You can also look around at other publishers. There are some epubs out there which do take reprints and publish author backlists. It's a good compromise if you don't want to do all the formatting and covers and stuff yourself. Shop around and get yourself the best deal you can. :) Good luck.

This is not what I want to do; the very idea of shopping around for a publisher, looking for deals, makes me feel tired, and I do not want to self-publish on my own. The very reason Trident's project appeals to me is because I would have an adviser at my side giving me guidance. For my backlist book, I already have a lucrative and vey attractive possibility in the works; if that fallls through, then I prefer the Trident model to e-publishing myself.

Oh well. My main point was this. If Trident is proposing to guide its authors through the ever-changing electronic self-publishing process, providing advice and making referrals, this might be termed Assisted Self-Publishing, and it could be a legitimate agency function. Done thoroughly and ethically, with the usual agently functions thrown in, it could be well worth a 15% commission.
This is how I see it: Assisted Self-Publishing. It would be perfect for this one book I have in mind.
Or would Assisted Self-Publishing be a fall-back measure for books not taken on elsewhere?
This seems to me to be the main advantage for authors who are agented but whose agent could not find a publisher for them. In the past, such an author would be eventually dropped and have to write a new book. This, I feel, opens new doors.
One thing's for sure. The SP gurus should soon be howling at this invasion of their turf by LEGACY PUBLISHING MINIONS!

:D
HOW DARE THEY!!!! :)

Last edited:

alexalex

Registered
Reaction score
Does anyone know what happened to Alanna Ramirez at this agency? Thanks.

Anonymity

Registered
Reaction score
I was just wondering, are the majority of you using the form on their website to submit your queries or are you sending them via regular e-mail?

popgun62

Keeper of the pace.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.tobytatestories.com
Is there a form? I sent mine via regular e-mail to Mr. Gottlieb. I've received a request for my MS, as well. Look at each agent's bio to see how they prefer to receive queries. Also, if you're a published author you should put that in the subject line.

Anonymity

Registered
Reaction score
Is there a form? I sent mine via regular e-mail to Mr. Gottlieb. I've received a request for my MS, as well. Look at each agent's bio to see how they prefer to receive queries. Also, if you're a published author you should put that in the subject line.

I was referring to their terms and agreement webpage that they say you should fill out before sending the actual query.

popgun62

Keeper of the pace.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.tobytatestories.com
Anonymity, I saw the form on the website and I think you have to fill it out before they will consider your query. I'm a published author, but I still had to turn in a form similar to that one when they requested my manuscript.

Nandini

Registered
Reaction score
Website
nandinibajpai.blogspot.com
Queried Alyssa Henkin: 10/14
Request for Full: 10/17

I filled out the terms form on the website first. Then sent an email query right after, and mentioned that I'd agreed to the terms and conditions via the web form.

UPDATE: Retracted my full in November for a revision. Just sent it back on 2/12. No word yet.

Last edited:

ScribeLady

Registered
Reaction score
Robert Gottlieb -Trident

Has anyone recently dealt with Robert Gottlieb? I sent them a full about two months ago, still haven't heard anything.

Scribelady

lisa17

Registered
Reaction score
Has anyone heard from Alex Glass since the end of 2011?

alvin123

Author of Hell to Pay (Blood for S)
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alvinjatwater.com
Landing an Agent from Trident Media Group is like hitting a Home Run in your first Major League game.
In other words, you have a 1- 2% chance of landing them *sigh* but nothing less expected of the publishing word. >: D Makes me want to try them anyway muhwuwhahwa

shari

Writing and loving it
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shariwrites.wordpress.com
Anyone heard back on a full request from Alyssa Henkin recently? Mine's going on two months and just wondering what her response time is.

Kate C.

Registered
Reaction score
Hi there! I wasn't sure where to put this one... It seems like you guys group these by the agency, which is why I didn't put this in its own post.

I am new to the agent and query world. I've never queried (and no, I'm not looking for advice), so I don't know how these things are supposed to work.

I'm an indie and I've made a modest name for myself by self-publishing a couple of books. Nowhere like Amanda Hocking or anything!

A few days ago I was contacted via email, OUT OF THE BLUE, by someone claiming to be from the Trident Media Group of NY. I looked up their website to see if they were legit (which it seems they are) and she is listed as an agent, but it seems so weird that someone would email me. I've never queried anywhere and never even tried to go the traditional route, so I'm very confused. She wanted a copy of my book to read, which didn't seem like a huge deal to me, so I gave one to her.

Is this a scam? Should I be suspicious? It was my understanding that indies (especially ones that aren't super successful) were persona non grata to the traditional publishing world.

Thanks to anyone who can help!

-Kate:)

Hathor

Goddess of Rationalization
Registered
Reaction score
I remember reading about a scam outfit calling themselves by the same name. However, here you are dealing with an agent from the legit guys. Or seem to be -- is the email address the same one you can find for the agent?

It is unusual to be contacted, but then I've read Trident is establishing an ebook operation. Your being contacted could be a function of that. Or this agent heard about your book in some way.

Just remember that the money flows toward the author. If you are asked for any money, you know you're not dealing with the legit Trident Media.

oshun55

Registered
Reaction score
I'd call the agency and confirm. If it is legit you'd be glad you did. If its a scam no one will blame you.

aruna

On a wing and a prayer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sharonmaas.co.uk
A few days ago I was contacted via email, OUT OF THE BLUE, by someone claiming to be from the Trident Media Group of NY. I looked up their website to see if they were legit (which it seems they are) and she is listed as an agent, but it seems so weird that someone would email me. I've never queried anywhere and never even tried to go the traditional route, so I'm very confused. She wanted a copy of my book to read, which didn't seem like a huge deal to me, so I gave one to her.

Is this a scam? Should I be suspicious? It was my understanding that indies (especially ones that aren't super successful) were persona non grata to the traditional publishing world.

Thanks to anyone who can help!

-Kate:)

There's a thread on here somewhere about a self-published writer whose e-novel is doing very well on the e-book lists. (I'll find it for you in a minute.*)
She was contacted by a major agent who offered representation for the sub-rights to the book. So this sort of thing does seem to happen, and if the agent's name is on their website, then it sounds possible.

ETA: *here's the direct link to the post: http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showpost.php?p=7212779&postcount=35

thedavebright

Registered
Reaction score
I'm new to the boards but I just wanted to pop in and let everyone know that there is hope! I am previously unpublished and only 21 and I recently managed to land an agent at Trident! I queried Robert Gottlieb and was referred to my agent Adrienne Lombardo through him. She is just starting to take on clients (maybe that's why I had a chance!) and I'm happy to be a part of the Trident Family. We all know the story of rejection (I abandoned a previous project and dealt with 80 plus rejections on this one) but I just want to say that landing a spot with a big agency is possible - as the cliche says, never give up!

Kate C.

Registered
Reaction score
I just wanted to thank everyone for their advice! I've read the links and will do my best to be an informed author. :)

You were all very helpful.

Carleree

Queen of Catastrophes
Registered
Reaction score
Alyssa Henkin passed on my full (4 month turnaround) and I was wondering if anyone knew if a no from one is a no from the agency. Can I query another agent there? Would I have to submit that form again?