The AW Amazon Store
Buy Books by AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: [Agency] J. de. S. Associates, Inc. (Jacques de Spoelberch)

jcdarrin

[Agency] J. de. S. Associates, Inc. (Jacques de Spoelberch)

I am looking for any information or experience with this agent. P&E just lists him. A web search shows some best-selling authors and some not so successful ones. He is an ex-editor at Houghton-Mifflin and has agented for years. I don't find him listed in the Index here.

this is joshilyn jackson's agent and she raves about him... I think he'd be fine to go with She's a dear friend of mine so I would say go for it.

Now departed. Rest in peace, Scott, from all of us at AW Popeyesays's Avatar
    Jacques de Spoelberch
    J de S Associates
    9 Shagbark Rd., Wilson Pt.
    South Norwalk, CT 06854
    Okay, damnit, I blog http://cscottsaylorsbooks.blogspot.com/
    Sword of the Dajjal e-book, Published by BooksForABuck.com May, 2007 ISBN: 978-1-602-052-2 http://www.booksforabuck.com/sfpages...rd_dajjal.html
    Out in print early 2008 from Blu Phi'er
    Jars of Doom out mid 2008 from Blu Phi'er
    http://www.bluphier.com/

practical experience, FTW
    He's also Margaret George's agent. AR&E lists him as having made sales of record for 20 clients (which is typically an underestimate, since not all sales are reported). Writer's Market says:

Established: 1975
    Represents 50 clients
    Currently handles 50% nonfiction; 50% novels
    In fiction, he reps: Detective/Police/Crime; Historical; Juvenile; Literary; Mainstream/Contemporary; Mystery/Suspense; New Age/Metaphysical; Westerns/Frontier; Young Adult

How to contact: Query with SASE, responds in 2 months to queries.
    Obtains new clients through recommendations from authors and other clients;
    Takes 15% on domestic; 20% on foreign; charges for foreign postage and photocopying.

===========
    He sounds like an interesting fellow, actually, and I've have no hesitation about contacting him.

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

Jacques de Spoelberch

Jacques is my agent. He is a sterling professional, an absolute gentleman, and a very lovely man. I cannot recommend him highly enough. As a writer, you'll be very lucky if he takes an interest in you.

Leighton Gage
    http://www.leightongage.com

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    ICAO
    ---------
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017:

Nice to hear, since my partial's sitting with him.

Hagiographically Advantaged AW Moderator HapiSofi's Avatar
    He's real, he's professional, he has authors whose names you know the minute you hear them, and he definitely makes sales.
    Winner of the Best Drycleaner on the Block Award.

Jacques de Spoelberch's Web Site

Jacques has recently opened a web site.
    You'll find it here: http://www.jdesassociates.com/index.html

I just got a rejection from Mr. de Spoelberch (1 day after querying) and when I updated my records I realized I'd addressed the query to Mr. Spoelberch instead of Mr. de Spoelberch. I'm sure if he'd like my query it wouldn't have mattered, but I'm kicking myself just the same. Hopefully I can save someone else from making the same silly mistake.

Happily stuck in the 19th century IsabellaCranford's Avatar
    I don't know if people are checking this thread very much these days, but I was wondering if anyone who has Jacques de Spoelberch as an agent can tell me if he signed a contract with you. On Joshilyn Jackson's blog, she has an enthusiastic posting about him as her agent, but she said they never signed a contract, that a handshake was enough for them both. He sounds like an amazing agent, but this aspect seems quite strange. I'm not sure that I'd be willing to sign with someone without officially signing with him or her.

Any thoughts?

Smile Love Jacques

Jacques is my agent. I adore him.

We did sign a contract for a year. He wrote it up and I reviewed it. We are out of that year and still working together. He's very old school and his word is gold. You have no worries with Jacques.