bannedbooks

Read a Banned Book

If this site is helpful to you,
Please consider a voluntary subscription to defray ongoing expenses.


 

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 94

Thread: EDGE Science Fiction & Fantasy Publishing, Inc. / Absolute XPress

  1. #26
    figuring it all out wez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Isle of Man
    Posts
    50
    Quote Originally Posted by victoriastrauss
    The Tesseracts anthologies, I believe, are for Canadian writers only.

    - Victoria
    Yep. Just read that on the web site. Doh!

  2. #27
    banned as an incurable tosspot
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    1,650
    Rats!

    Although Edge publishes Tesseract, I'm told they have no other connection. They don't choose the stories or edit them. Also, the editors change with each anthology. Makes it hard to know what their preferences are. At the last count, they already had 70 submissions for Tesseract 11. Whew!

  3. #28
    figuring it all out wez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Isle of Man
    Posts
    50
    Quote Originally Posted by Carmy
    Also, the editors change with each anthology. Makes it hard to know what their preferences are. At the last count, they already had 70 submissions for Tesseract 11. Whew!
    And seeing as they only publish Canadian writers, that sort of rules me out, me being a Brit. (sighs) Never mind, shall keep plugging away. Ever the optmist.

    Steve

  4. #29
    Banned Axler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    New England...where else?
    Posts
    1,052

    Edge Publishing

    Has anyone had any experience with Edge Publishing out of Canada?

    Are they strictly a royalty-paying publisher?

  5. #30
    practical experience, FTW JohnB1988's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Brooksville Fl
    Posts
    102
    I submitted to them years ago. Grew up, got married, turned Republican...&etc..got rejected. Someplace I read that they publish, at a maximum, five new books a year. That’s old info. If anyone has more current news feel free to refute me.

  6. #31
    Sockpuppet
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Cheshire, MA
    Posts
    336
    These people?

    http://www.edgewebsite.com/

    Seem OK to me.

  7. #32
    Banned Axler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    New England...where else?
    Posts
    1,052
    Quote Originally Posted by JCT View Post
    These people?

    http://www.edgewebsite.com/

    Seem OK to me.

    Yeah, those people.

    But it's not whether they're okay but their payment set-up. Advance against royalties? Back-end royalty only? Subsidy? POD?

    Maybe I'm overlooking it, but I can't seem to find any information about that on their site.

  8. #33
    Super Browser triceretops's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    In a van down by the river
    Posts
    13,510
    I can't remember how many times I've tried Edge, but it had to be at least five times for four different books. My records show non-responses from them. I don't think I've every had any contact with them. They don't negotiate their contacts and have a rather dim view of agents, FWIW.

    Tri

  9. #34
    Banned Axler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    New England...where else?
    Posts
    1,052
    Quote Originally Posted by triceretops View Post
    They don't negotiate their contacts and have a rather dim view of agents, FWIW.
    Yeah, it was their hostile vibe I detected toward writers with agents that caused my Spidey-sense to start a-tinglin'.

    Well, I think it's safe to assume that at best they're royalty-paying only, at worst they're POD.
    Last edited by Axler; 07-29-2007 at 08:08 PM.

  10. #35
    Lost in the Fog rugcat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    East O' The Sun & West O' The Moon
    Posts
    16,248
    Quote Originally Posted by Axler View Post
    Well, I think it's safe to assume that at best they're royalty-paying only, at worst they're POD.
    According to Ralan's website: "Pays small advance & standard royaties Words: prefers 75-100k RT: <4 months. Reprints: no. E-subs: no. "

    I've seen their books in stores. I have no idea of their Publisher/Author dynamic, but it seems clear they are a legitimate small press.

  11. #36
    Sockpuppet
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Cheshire, MA
    Posts
    336
    Quote Originally Posted by rugcat View Post
    According to Ralan's website: "Pays small advance & standard royaties Words: prefers 75-100k RT: <4 months. Reprints: no. E-subs: no. "

    I've seen their books in stores. I have no idea of their Publisher/Author dynamic, but it seems clear they are a legitimate small press.
    Albeit one hostile to agents. They seem to have some angst that needs to be gotten over.

  12. #37
    Banned Axler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    New England...where else?
    Posts
    1,052
    Quote Originally Posted by rugcat View Post
    According to Ralan's website: "Pays small advance & standard royaties Words: prefers 75-100k RT: <4 months. Reprints: no. E-subs: no. "
    I guess it would depend on their definition of "small advance" and "standard royalties".

    I don't have anything against them, I just told a friend of mine I'd see what I could dig up about them since he was interested in submitting.

    However, I have to agree with JCT...a reluctance to deal with agents makes me suspicious, if only because they have a flat-standard contract that never varies.

  13. #38
    figuring it all out wez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Isle of Man
    Posts
    50
    Quote Originally Posted by Axler View Post
    Has anyone had any experience with Edge Publishing out of Canada?

    Are they strictly a royalty-paying publisher?
    I submitted to them and got as far as the final cut. Took nearly two years to get to that stage, however, and then they declined. They are very slow to respond but are a legit small press as far as I am aware. No idea on their rates as I never got that far.

    Wez

  14. #39
    Quote Originally Posted by JCT View Post
    Albeit one hostile to agents. They seem to have some angst that needs to be gotten over.
    A publisher doesn't need to be a scam publisher in order for it to be a company that most authors should avoid. When it is hostile to agents, that is a bad sign. Such publishers should normally be toward the end of your list of publishers to try. They may meet some people's needs, but it is still best to approach them with caution.

  15. #40
    I write novels
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    In the resistance
    Posts
    3,934
    I must have missed something. What part of their website implies that they're hostile to agents?

  16. #41
    ... with the High Command Dave.C.Robinson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    At the computer
    Posts
    1,986
    I know a little about Edge, and have met Brian Hades, their publisher, on a couple of occasions. They're one of the larger "small" speculative fiction presses in Canada, and don't appear to be a POD house. I looked at some of their books I have on my shelf and saw a 300 and a 350 page trade paperback original both at $14.95 US; I also have one hardcover from them which retailed for $23.95 US. So their cover prices appear in line with the mainstream. They also have distribution through Fitzhenry and Whiteside which is a good sign.

    The only submissions I've made to them were for their Tesseracts anthology and the stories were rejected. Having said that the rejections were reasonably timely and one of the editors for this edition was Cory Doctorow.

    I don't know anything more about their rates; however I have considered submitting to them should I get past the big houses.


    Grasshopper, you too can master the ancient martial art of BIC FOK. (Butt in Chair, Fingers on Keyboard.) Find me on Kindle: Against the Eldest Flame, the first Doc Vandal adventure; Amadar, a heroic fantasy adventure; Price of Imperium, space opera with a street-level twist.

  17. #42
    Quote Originally Posted by triceretops View Post
    I can't remember how many times I've tried Edge, but it had to be at least five times for four different books. My records show non-responses from them. I don't think I've every had any contact with them. They don't negotiate their contacts and have a rather dim view of agents, FWIW.

    Tri
    Quote Originally Posted by Beth Bernobich View Post
    I must have missed something. What part of their website implies that they're hostile to agents?
    This statement was made by Triceretops, not (as far as I'm aware of) their website. If true, it is a significant problem.

  18. #43
    I write novels
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    In the resistance
    Posts
    3,934
    Quote Originally Posted by jamiehall View Post
    This statement was made by Triceretops, not (as far as I'm aware of) their website. If true, it is a significant problem.
    I guess I'm troubled by the leap from Tri's post ("have a rather dim view of agents") to comments about how they're "hostile to agents."

    (ETA: Ahah, now I see Dave's post, which matches what I've generally heard about Edge.)
    Last edited by eqb; 07-30-2007 at 05:54 AM.

  19. #44
    Banned Axler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    New England...where else?
    Posts
    1,052
    From Edge's site:

    "We accept manuscripts from unagented as well as agented authors. There is not much an agent can do for most new authors other than try to locate a publisher. If you have already signed up with an agent, tell them to contact us with your work and we will study their proposal. However, agented works do not get special treatment; to us there is no difference than when you contact us yourself."

    Oh-h-kay...

    Maybe not hostile, but certainly that statement is full of misinformation. They just don't want to negotiate and so imply that agents don't negotiate contracts...which makes me think their advances and royalties aren't exactly competitive.

    But that's not to say they're dishonest or not legitimate.

    They're just not a publisher I personally would put on my A or B submission list.
    Last edited by Axler; 07-30-2007 at 05:58 AM.

  20. #45
    Quote Originally Posted by Axler View Post
    From Edge's site:

    "We accept manuscripts from unagented as well as agented authors. There is not much an agent can do for most new authors other than try to locate a publisher. If you have already signed up with an agent, tell them to contact us with your work and we will study their proposal. However, agented works do not get special treatment; to us there is no difference than when you contact us yourself."

    Oh-h-kay...

    Maybe not hostile, but certainly that statement is full of misinformation. They just don't want to negotiate and so imply that agents don't negotiate contracts...which makes me think their advances and royalties aren't exactly competitive.

    But that's not to say they're dishonest or not legitimate.

    They're just not a publisher I personally would put on my A or B submission list.
    Yep. As I said, lower on the list, but not off it altogether. If they were dishonest or a scam, then they would be off the list completely. It would seem they are the type of publisher where you should see if you can do better before resorting to them, but if you truly can't do better, then it's okay. Publishers who will work with agents are always ones to try before publishers who are reluctant to work with agents.

  21. #46
    Everything is what it seems. Will Lavender's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Louisville, KY
    Posts
    1,801
    Quote Originally Posted by Axler View Post
    "There is not much an agent can do for most new authors other than try to locate a publisher."
    Idiotic statement.

  22. #47
    Super Browser triceretops's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    In a van down by the river
    Posts
    13,510
    Yeah, I really don't see them as a scam market or anything like that. They appear to do a bang up job and even offer small advances. I just found the comments about agents and agented material a bit odd. Nothing earth-shattering. Afterall, Jim Baen did not suffer agents well, either. They probably do have a boilerplate contract that fits all and seems fair, and are resistent to veering from it or changing sections.

    "We accept manuscripts from unagented as well as agented authors. There is not much an agent can do for most new authors other than try to locate a publisher. If you have already signed up with an agent, tell them to contact us with your work and we will study their proposal. However, agented works do not get special treatment; to us there is no difference than when you contact us yourself."

    I dunno, I translate those two sentences to mean: "Agents do not have much power here." And the first comment is pretty inacurate. Agents do a heck of a lot more than find publishers.


    Tri

  23. #48
    I write novels
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    In the resistance
    Posts
    3,934
    Quote Originally Posted by triceretops View Post
    I just found the comments about agents and agented material a bit odd. Nothing earth-shattering. After all, Jim Baen did not suffer agents well, either. They probably do have a boilerplate contract that fits all and seems fair, and are resistent to veering from it or changing sections.
    I agree it's odd. I just balked at labeling them "hostile," unless someone knew something specific about them.

    From what I've heard about them, they are a decent small press. They won't negotiate contract terms with unpublished writers, but they sometimes will for published writers.

    The one blank in all this is the contract itself. Has anyone seen a contract from them?

  24. #49
    Super Browser triceretops's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    In a van down by the river
    Posts
    13,510
    Here's how odd it is Beth--below is a direct quote from the PublishAmerica site on their agent information. Look at the direct wording from Edge and theirs. That is why it disturbed me. I don't know who copied who, but it is very curious indeed.

    Question: Do I need an agent?
    Answer: Not if you decide to submit your work here. We select our authors without being preached to by agents, no matter how hard they sometimes try. There is not much an agent can do for most new authors, other than try to locate a publisher. If you have already signed up with an agent, tell them to contact us with your work, and we will gladly study their proposal. But it will be no different than when you contact us yourself.


    Now, besides that nonsense, I still wouldn't mind having Edge publish one of my books.

    Tri



  25. #50
    Banned Axler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    New England...where else?
    Posts
    1,052
    Yeah, that is a little disturbing. Wonder who lifted what from who.

    Also, agents harrass publishers for money for their clients. At least mine does.

    That's probably another reason Edge and PA aren't too crazy about dealing with agents.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Custom Search