AW Amazon Store

If this site is helpful to you,
Please consider a voluntary subscription to defray ongoing expenses.

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: EDGE Science Fiction & Fantasy Publishing, Inc. / Absolute XPress

EDGE Science Fiction & Fantasy Publishing, Inc. / Absolute XPress

Hi all, don't flame a newbie, but have been lurking for a while now and thought I would pop in with a question. Can't find a thread on these guys so I guess they haven't been covvered yet.

Wondering if anyone has any ionfo on Edge SF in Canada. Got stuff with them and they appear to know what they are doing but my ms's have been with the final, final, final reader for months now and they keep telling me a decision is imminent. Am still waiting.

Thanks in advance,

Steve

Writer Beware Goddess Absolute Sage victoriastrauss's Avatar
    Edge is a respected small publisher. However, I've heard from many writers that they have looooong turnaround times, so yours isn't an isolated experience.

- Victoria

Thanks for the reply Victoria. I had heard from a couple of sources they were respected, but they seem to be sooooo slow in response times. Their new acquisition editor, Anita, seems on the ball though.

Steve

figuring it all out The Scribbler's Avatar
    I found them to be very professional, and actually had a pretty quick turn around time though they eventually decided to pass on my manuscript.

Cool

I like the looks of them, but they have some very specific guidlines. It looks like hardcopy only, arranged in a special format. I think I'll let my agent know about them when we're further into the sub process.

Tri

Thanks guys. Can't fault them on being professional, just very, very slow. But if they get it right... What the heck. I know they changed acquisitions editor so that may have slowed things down even more. As I said, they told me it was through to the final vetting procedure, just taken nearly two years to get there!!

Steve

banned as an incurable tosspot
    Edge is right down the road from where I live. They have an excellent reputation and I've attended some book launches they've done. One of their first novels, by Marie Jakober, was later picked up by a US publisher for BIG bucks.

They responded to my query within a week and said it would take four months for them to decide whether or not to ask for a partial or full. I think I'm in months two right now with my fingers crossed.

Best of luck with your submission Carmy. As I said previously, nothing they have done has rung any warning bells, it was more time-scale - and my impatience!! I first sent samples to them nearly two years ago, then further chapters at their request, then more chapters at their request, then the whole lot at their request. So I am guessing it has been through a fair few test readers before the whole ms was asked for. It just took six months each time for them to request more material. Am three months into the final, final reading now, so it may be anther three before I hear anything back.

Then again...

Thanks for your input.

Steve

practical experience, FTW LloydBrown's Avatar
    I got rejected by them once, after they lost my manuscript.

Despite losing the ms, which happened when they moved, I had a good impression of them at the time. It seems to be justified so far.
    Lloyd Brown
    www.lloydwrites.com

Thanks Lloyd. Bad news about the lost ms, though. Like you, I get good vibes from them. But this business being what it is, thought I would check them out. Already had one bad publishing deal and would not want to go through that again.

Steve

Thanks for your input, Wez. I'm not sure I have your patience. I know they're fairly small (few staff) but it seems to me they're dithering too much.

As for losing a manuscript! Not exactly efficient, even during an office move.

Quote Originally Posted by Carmy
    As for losing a manuscript! Not exactly efficient, even during an office move.
    Patience is not usually my strong point, but I am learning. Even so, they have taken an inordenantly long time over it. I just hope it is worth the wait. We will see on that one. I hope!

Steve

Best of luck, Wez.

I'm going to keep my eyes open for a book launch they might put on (usually only if the writer is local as it then draws a crowd). I'll attend if I can, corner one of the staff, and ask some questions.

Best of luck, Wez.
    Cheers Carmy. Friends of mine who are in the writing business said they had a good reputation, which is why I submitted to them, but them taking so long to answer, and then not replying to two email queries, set little alarm bells jangling. But from what I hear on the site, my preformed idea about them being ok are justified, even if I received confirmation they are a tad slow in responding!

If they say yes, you can guess where I shall be broadcasting it!!

I look forward to hearing that "Yes!" from you.

I also know someone who is 'pally' with someone at Edge so I'll see what he knows. There may be a good reason why they're so slow but a word in their ear won't go amiss, if you know what I mean. They won't want to think their reputation isn't the best so it might hurry them along.

I look forward to hearing that "Yes!" from you.
    Thanks for the vote of confidence! Here's hoping it is not misplaced. I am sure they will get round to answering eventually. I do not want to hassle them and come across as a 'whinging Brit' LOL, so will leave it in their capable hands.

I am away for a few days now, so am hoping I have an answer when I get back on Monday. You never know.

Have fun,

Steve

Edge titles can be found on shelves in many (not all) Canadian bookshops. They also have fairly close ties with the Canadian sf community, I think, as my first encounter with them was a free title in my goodie-bag at an sf con some years ago.
    Edge publishes Tesseracts, an annual anthology of Canadian sff. The next one is edited by Cory Doctorow and Holly Phillips.
    Oh hey, website: http://www.edgewebsite.com/
    -Barbara
    will crit for rep points
    "Your commas are pretty good." TNH
    okay, I have a blog

Thanks for the info Batgirl. Just got back from a few days away and still no news. But I am ever hopeful!

Steve

Just a little bit of info.

I attended a book launch/reading tonight of Tesseract 10 (anthology), I Robot (poems) and a new novel by an Australian writer, the second in a series. Edge had just picked up the box of novels before arriving at the launch, so it was a bonus. I was there to support a friend who was giving a reading of her story in the anthology, and to try for a few minutes with Brian Hades.

I chatted with Brian Hades and his publicist Janice Schultz (sp?) and mentioned the partial I'd submitted (which they acknowledge receipt of in an email). Oddly, Brian remembered me from an earlier book launch so I hope he'll remember my face when he evaluates my partial. (Fingers and toes crossed.)

Brian said they were getting an average of 50 submissions a month. They published six novels in 2006.

I thought the statistics would be of interest to those considering submitting to Edge.

Just a little bit of info.

Brian said they were getting an average of 50 submissions a month. They published six novels in 2006.

I thought the statistics would be of interest to those considering submitting to Edge.
    No wonder they are a bit slow in responding. 50 titles a month for six books a year? Yikes, that's some odds on being chosen. At least I am through to the final, final, final stage.

Thanks for the info Carmy, and best of luck with your submissions Would be fine if we both managed to get somewhere with them. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you too.

Steve

Your Genial Uncle Absolute Sage James D. Macdonald's Avatar
    It's really the wrong model to think about the "odds" at some publisher. This is a game of skill, not a game of chance. If they don't see a manuscript they like in a given month they aren't going to buy one they don't like just to keep up their average.

Send them a manuscript they'll like.

Quote Originally Posted by James D. Macdonald
    It's really the wrong model to think about the "odds" at some publisher. This is a game of skill, not a game of chance. If they don't see a manuscript they like in a given month they aren't going to buy one they don't like just to keep up their average.

Send them a manuscript they'll like.
    Eek! Wrong choice of words by me, methinks. We all - I would hope - want to send in a manuscript a publisher will like, but six titles from 600 submissions? I would think given the 'odds' even some well written books are rejected for whatever reason.

In a previous life, when I managed a large division of a company that covered the whole of the UK, i received countless applications whenever a job vacancy was advertised, and I used various, probably un PC methods, of rejecting most and possibly missed out on some quite brilliant applicants. But when you receive hundreds of sheaths of paper after one poisition, and do not have the time or manpower to give every one of them justice, certain methods have to be used to eliminate a large proportion, and, given the oversubscribing to publishing houses for the few contracts available, it would be a wonder if such 'inappropriate' methods were used to reject a large proportion before they actually get near a commissioning editor. Having discussed such matters with two editors at major publishing houses, I know they never see every ms that comes in, only the few that get through whatever screening process they have set in place.

My comment was not an attempt at making publishing out to be a game of chance, but to highlight how many of us would like to be published but how few actually make it. And yes, I have been published both in novel format and short story. Maybe not as prolific as some on his site, but have been there, and would like some more of it please.

Anyway, ramble over. Just thought I would clear my point.

Have fun,

Steve

Thanks Wez. I'm glad to hear you're through to the final stage. I hope to hear you're published soon.

If Edge has a launch and reading of your book here, and you can't be there, they will appoint someone to give the reading for you. That's what happened to the Australian writer whose printed novel arrived last night.

Edge is tied closely to the local sf group in this city. Most of those at the reading came from that group and all seemed to be on first-name terms with Brian. Apparently, the World Convention of sf writers (not sure I have the name right) will hold their conference here in 2008.

I suppose 50 submissions a month is a lot for a small publisher. As far as I know, there are only three staff members.

As a side note -- Tesseract is looking for short-story submissions for Tesseract 11. I'm told they look for short, quirky, sometimes off-the-wall stories. Thier only connection with Edge is that Edge publishes the collections.

I suppose 50 submissions a month is a lot for a small publisher. As far as I know, there are only three staff members.

As a side note -- Tesseract is looking for short-story submissions for Tesseract 11. I'm told they look for short, quirky, sometimes off-the-wall stories. Thier only connection with Edge is that Edge publishes the collections.
    Thanks for the inside info Carmy. I have a recently finished short that needs a home so will look into it. You never know!! And only three staff, no wonder they get pushed.

Thanks again,

Steve

Writer Beware Goddess Absolute Sage victoriastrauss's Avatar
    Tesseract, which put out the anthologies and used to be a separate publisher, merged with Edge a while back. The Tesseracts anthologies, I believe, are for Canadian writers only.

- Victoria

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast