• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Laura Langlie Agency

Girl Friday

Word Wrangler
Registered
Reaction score
Ugh, sorry hero :( I guess the problem with querying a verse novel is you never know if an agent just doesn't like verse novels, quite possibly nothing to do with premise/writing...

And thanks JB!

Girl Friday

Word Wrangler
Registered
Reaction score
Forgot to update this.

Got a form R on my full two days after sending it. So she's still superquick, even if it wasn't the result I was hoping for.

spoonflipper

Registered
Reaction score
Does Langlie Rep YA sci-fi?

On AgentQuery, I see that Laura Langlie reps YA but NOT sci-fi...what about YA/sci-fi...? Because she does represent Malindo Lo who writes YA science fiction. Or does she just mean she doesn't represent adult sci-fi? I don't want to send her something she doesn't want. Eep.

robjvargas

Rob J. Vargas
Banned
Reaction score
On AgentQuery, I see that Laura Langlie reps YA but NOT sci-fi...what about YA/sci-fi...? Because she does represent Malindo Lo who writes YA science fiction. Or does she just mean she doesn't represent adult sci-fi? I don't want to send her something she doesn't want. Eep.

I'd say don't sweat it. If you see examples in her represented authors that mirror your work, say so and submit.

It's entirely possible that Malindo was a referral, or they met at a conference, or her work was hybrid enough that Laura Langlie saw room for it in what she does.

If you can make a one-sentence case that you think your work fits within what she does, I don't see where that hurts you. She might still reject, but I'd wager she'll understand.

But check out Malindo Yo's work. And others, if you can find it. If you see a likeness, go with it. At least you showed you paid attention before making the submittal.

leora

Registered
Reaction score
Hello, any e-mail addresses for Laura Langlie?????? Thanks

Abberey

Not crazy, just a little unwell
Registered
Reaction score
Website
abbereyadams.blogspot.com
Sent a query, got a rejection (I don't believe I'd be the right agent for your work') less than six hours later. She is as fast as everyone is saying, I wish they all were, ha. [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
[/FONT]

KathleenPiper

Registered
Reaction score
Sent draft and now waiting patiently

Hi all! I sent LL a query a while back. She was so sweet and efficient. She responded right away to my letter and asked to see the full draft. It has been about 6 and a half weeks since then. I got an email confirming receipt, so I know she has it, but I haven't heard back whether or not she likes the book.

Now, I know she must be really busy, and I'm honoured she wanted to read my manuscript, as I'm a huge fan of many of her clients. I'm just wondering, given that she is famous for speedy rejections if she doesn't like something, does it seem like a good or a bad sign that I haven't heard back yet? Is it just that she's busy given that it's the holiday season? I'm fine with any of those answers, I was just wondering if anyone else had some inkling based on prior experience.

Thanks!

Krista G.

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score
Hi all! I sent LL a query a while back. She was so sweet and efficient. She responded right away to my letter and asked to see the full draft. It has been about 6 and a half weeks since then. I got an email confirming receipt, so I know she has it, but I haven't heard back whether or not she likes the book.

Now, I know she must be really busy, and I'm honoured she wanted to read my manuscript, as I'm a huge fan of many of her clients. I'm just wondering, given that she is famous for speedy rejections if she doesn't like something, does it seem like a good or a bad sign that I haven't heard back yet? Is it just that she's busy given that it's the holiday season? I'm fine with any of those answers, I was just wondering if anyone else had some inkling based on prior experience.

Thanks!

I feel your pain, Kathleen. The waiting is always the worst. I've been at this for years and still hate it, hate it, hate it.

I never queried Ms. Langlie myself, but I checked out her response times on QueryTracker, and you're right--she typically responds quickly. All time, QT users have logged 2 positive responses to full requests (with response times of 5 days and 9 days) and 106 negative responses to full requests (with an average response time of 8 days and a long of 108 days--I bet she missed that one, so the writer had to follow up). But QT users haven't logged any responses in the last 90 days.

As for what the data reveal, your guess is as good as mine. Publishing definitely slows down after Halloween and doesn't pick up again until January, so it could be a seasonal delay. Or maybe she's on the fence. It's tough to say. I think you'd be within your rights to follow up either now or after New Year's (e.g., "I know you typically respond quickly to submissions, so I just wanted to check in and see if you've had any thoughts"). Agents follow up with editors all the time, so they're used to it.

Good luck!

trickywoo

Registered
Reaction score
I imagine you'll be hearing from her soon. I think it's probably a good sign - if she was going to pass, you'd probably hear right away. At the very least, I think a delay like that indicates that an agent is probably reading the full manuscript (vs. reading until she knows she's going to pass).

Anyway, I agree with the previous poster, you could always nudge if you're feeling angsty. And things definitely do slow down with the holidays. Good luck!

avnelson

Registered
Reaction score
I got an overnight full request when I queried on 3/21/2016 for my fantasy romance :D Meg Cabot is a big part of the reason I'm an author so this is really exciting for me. I love the Princess Diaries, the Mediator especially, her historical romances and her vampire series - fingers crossed!

avnelson

Registered
Reaction score
So I never got a receipt of confirmation and have yet to hear a response from Laura on the manuscript I sent on 3/21/2017. Is she a no response means no agent? It looks like she responds to nearly every full request on Querytracker but I'm edging out the longest response time at 105 days. Has anyone else never heard back on a full?

Sage

Currently titleless
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Full request from Laura after querying her today. YA LGBTQ+ fantasy.

(Also, I agree with a nudge, AV. I usually nudge once at 3 months (or whenever they suggest, if applicable), just to make sure the agent got the novel)

avnelson

Registered
Reaction score
Congrats Sage! I never heard back from her on the nudge I sent on 7/6 so I'm closing this out. A shame, she is one of my dream agents!

Sage

Currently titleless
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Personally, I don't consider any request a rejection by no response--unless an agent gives a timeframe for NRMN--until a year's gone by. Maybe that's because I was often the longest time on fulls on QT back when it was free, and I've had plenty of fulls last 6 months or more. It's hard to say because she has very little information online, and I can't see QT stats after the query b/c I don't feel like paying for a subscription for the items that used to be free.