Buy books by AWers

If this site is helpful to you,
Please consider a voluntary subscription to defray ongoing expenses.

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Laura Langlie Agency

Quote Originally Posted by Girl Friday View Post
    Queried today, full request 90 minutes later. *tries not to be excited* *fails*

Good luck, Girl Friday!
    J.B. Kantt

WIW (~70K), TZS (~83K), SP (~53K), and ZT (~52K) : Shelved ... For Now

RAR: Now Available on Amazon! (~62K words)

TSW
    : Querying

ZA: Outlined, will be written soon

Stop by my blog sometime!
    J.A.Y.A.! (Journey of an Aspiring Young Author)

Ugh, sorry hero I guess the problem with querying a verse novel is you never know if an agent just doesn't like verse novels, quite possibly nothing to do with premise/writing...

And thanks JB!
    Twitter Website

MG Fantasy THE D'EV1L D1ARIES (0rchard/H@chette, April 2015).
    Sequel HELL'S BELLES (0rchard/H@chette, January 2016)

Forgot to update this.

Got a form R on my full two days after sending it. So she's still superquick, even if it wasn't the result I was hoping for.
    Twitter Website

MG Fantasy THE D'EV1L D1ARIES (0rchard/H@chette, April 2015).
    Sequel HELL'S BELLES (0rchard/H@chette, January 2016)

figuring it all out

Does Langlie Rep YA sci-fi?

On AgentQuery, I see that Laura Langlie reps YA but NOT sci-fi...what about YA/sci-fi...? Because she does represent Malindo Lo who writes YA science fiction. Or does she just mean she doesn't represent adult sci-fi? I don't want to send her something she doesn't want. Eep.

banned as an incurable tosspot
    Quote Originally Posted by spoonflipper View Post
    On AgentQuery, I see that Laura Langlie reps YA but NOT sci-fi...what about YA/sci-fi...? Because she does represent Malindo Lo who writes YA science fiction. Or does she just mean she doesn't represent adult sci-fi? I don't want to send her something she doesn't want. Eep.
    I'd say don't sweat it. If you see examples in her represented authors that mirror your work, say so and submit.

It's entirely possible that Malindo was a referral, or they met at a conference, or her work was hybrid enough that Laura Langlie saw room for it in what she does.

If you can make a one-sentence case that you think your work fits within what she does, I don't see where that hurts you. She might still reject, but I'd wager she'll understand.

But check out Malindo Yo's work. And others, if you can find it. If you see a likeness, go with it. At least you showed you paid attention before making the submittal.

figuring it all out
    Okay, thanks for the advice!

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
    Hello, any e-mail addresses for Laura Langlie?????? Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by leora View Post
    You find this info at Agent Query. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by leora View Post
    It's listed on her Query Tracker profile.

{BLOG}

So sorry--I've updated the Agent Query link here.

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin JohannaC's Avatar
    Queried on 5/29/14; rejection on 6/2/14.

practical experience, FTW jeseymour's Avatar
    Crime Suspense Queried 6/29/14 rejected 6/30/14
    http://jeseymour.com
    Out now from Barking Rain Press:
    Lead Poisoning (2nd ed.) - Things go wrong when a fugitive mob troubleshooter retires to New Hampshire to live with his family.
    Stress Fractures - Kevin Markinson, injured escaping from prison, taken hostage with a teenage boy and surrounded by law enforcement, discovers that everybody has a breaking point.
    Frostbite - a bumbling gang of Rhode Island mobsters get more than they bargained for when they kidnap an aging assassin.

Not crazy, just a little unwell Abberey's Avatar
    Sent a query, got a rejection (I don't believe I'd be the right agent for your work') less than six hours later. She is as fast as everyone is saying, I wish they all were, ha.
    I'm writing the future,
    I'm leaving a key here.
    Something won't always be missing,
    You won't always feel emptier.

Sent draft and now waiting patiently

Hi all! I sent LL a query a while back. She was so sweet and efficient. She responded right away to my letter and asked to see the full draft. It has been about 6 and a half weeks since then. I got an email confirming receipt, so I know she has it, but I haven't heard back whether or not she likes the book.

Now, I know she must be really busy, and I'm honoured she wanted to read my manuscript, as I'm a huge fan of many of her clients. I'm just wondering, given that she is famous for speedy rejections if she doesn't like something, does it seem like a good or a bad sign that I haven't heard back yet? Is it just that she's busy given that it's the holiday season? I'm fine with any of those answers, I was just wondering if anyone else had some inkling based on prior experience.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by KathleenPiper View Post
    Hi all! I sent LL a query a while back. She was so sweet and efficient. She responded right away to my letter and asked to see the full draft. It has been about 6 and a half weeks since then. I got an email confirming receipt, so I know she has it, but I haven't heard back whether or not she likes the book.

Now, I know she must be really busy, and I'm honoured she wanted to read my manuscript, as I'm a huge fan of many of her clients. I'm just wondering, given that she is famous for speedy rejections if she doesn't like something, does it seem like a good or a bad sign that I haven't heard back yet? Is it just that she's busy given that it's the holiday season? I'm fine with any of those answers, I was just wondering if anyone else had some inkling based on prior experience.

Thanks!
    I feel your pain, Kathleen. The waiting is always the worst. I've been at this for years and still hate it, hate it, hate it.

I never queried Ms. Langlie myself, but I checked out her response times on QueryTracker, and you're right--she typically responds quickly. All time, QT users have logged 2 positive responses to full requests (with response times of 5 days and 9 days) and 106 negative responses to full requests (with an average response time of 8 days and a long of 108 days--I bet she missed that one, so the writer had to follow up). But QT users haven't logged any responses in the last 90 days.

As for what the data reveal, your guess is as good as mine. Publishing definitely slows down after Halloween and doesn't pick up again until January, so it could be a seasonal delay. Or maybe she's on the fence. It's tough to say. I think you'd be within your rights to follow up either now or after New Year's (e.g., "I know you typically respond quickly to submissions, so I just wanted to check in and see if you've had any thoughts"). Agents follow up with editors all the time, so they're used to it.

Good luck!
    THE SOUND OF LIFE AND EVERYTHING (G.P. Putnam's Sons Books for Young Readers, May 2015)
    DON'T VOTE FOR ME (Sourcebooks Jabberwocky, August 2015)
    DON'T SOLVE THE PUZZLE (Bloomsbury Children's, Winter 2019)

www.kristavandolzer.blogspot.com

practical experience, FTW trickywoo's Avatar
    I imagine you'll be hearing from her soon. I think it's probably a good sign - if she was going to pass, you'd probably hear right away. At the very least, I think a delay like that indicates that an agent is probably reading the full manuscript (vs. reading until she knows she's going to pass).

Anyway, I agree with the previous poster, you could always nudge if you're feeling angsty. And things definitely do slow down with the holidays. Good luck!

This hat is getting too hot Chumplet's Avatar
    Queried on January 16th, no rapid-fire rejection received as of yet. Either it's lost, or... it's lost.

This hat is getting too hot Chumplet's Avatar
    Oops, there's my form rejection! Moving on...

practical experience, FTW kelliewallace's Avatar
    Queried 19th and got a rejection the same night.
    http://kelliewallacebooks.com
    When our Worlds Collide - Limitless Publishing 2017

I got an overnight full request when I queried on 3/21/2016 for my fantasy romance Meg Cabot is a big part of the reason I'm an author so this is really exciting for me. I love the Princess Diaries, the Mediator especially, her historical romances and her vampire series - fingers crossed!

So I never got a receipt of confirmation and have yet to hear a response from Laura on the manuscript I sent on 3/21/2017. Is she a no response means no agent? It looks like she responds to nearly every full request on Querytracker but I'm edging out the longest response time at 105 days. Has anyone else never heard back on a full?

You could try a polite nudge.

Blog: Blue Night
    Art and jewelry online at iCraft

Full request from Laura after querying her today. YA LGBTQ+ fantasy.

(Also, I agree with a nudge, AV. I usually nudge once at 3 months (or whenever they suggest, if applicable), just to make sure the agent got the novel)
    Help me retitle my YA fantasy Jack Frost story!

I am the prince of Winter. My heart is of ice.
    And he's been slowly melting it for years.

Congrats Sage! I never heard back from her on the nudge I sent on 7/6 so I'm closing this out. A shame, she is one of my dream agents!

Personally, I don't consider any request a rejection by no response--unless an agent gives a timeframe for NRMN--until a year's gone by. Maybe that's because I was often the longest time on fulls on QT back when it was free, and I've had plenty of fulls last 6 months or more. It's hard to say because she has very little information online, and I can't see QT stats after the query b/c I don't feel like paying for a subscription for the items that used to be free.
    Help me retitle my YA fantasy Jack Frost story!

I am the prince of Winter. My heart is of ice.
    And he's been slowly melting it for years.

Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2678910111213 LastLast