Buy books by AWers

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: [Display site] e-Literary Agent

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

[Display site] e-Literary Agent

Does somebody know any information about e-LitararyAgent? What is it?

Look at their text! What do you think about it? Thank you to any answer.

<Your manuscript (and accompanying information) will be posted on our web site ($195 to be listed for an entire year) within a month of receipt of the necessary materials. This site will be available to the appropriate editors throughout the world, who will contact us directly if they are interested in your book. You will be notified immediately if someone is interested, and if your book is sold, we will negotiate your publishing contract (terms must meet with your approval, of course) to obtain the best possible arrangement for publication. We will also negotiate all subrights, including movie and other electronic rights, hardcover and paperback editions, foreign rights, and so on. e-LiteraryAgent is your literary agency.
    We will be listing a portion of your manuscript for one year, and at the end of that year, if your book has not been sold (or negotiations not begun), you will have the option to renew this arrangement. Your manuscript will then be archived by genre, still available for viewing by interested editors.
    If you have any questions, feel free to contact us. Otherwise, fill in the forms, include your payment (check, money order, or credit card), and we will have you up and running within the month.
    We look forward to working with you and hope for a successful publishing experience.
    Fred N. Grayson, President >

'Twas but a dream of thee El Jefe MacAllister's Avatar
    Yelena, it's a display site, pay-to-play, and won't do you any good at all.

That's not how editors find books. It's not how publishers buy books. The only person it's going to do any good for is the guy who cashes the check.

Thank you very much to you both for your help. Very difficult for me to recognise these snaky guys

Regards,
    Yelena

Hello Mods

Mods--maybe this should be moved to Bewares and Background? I couldn't find anything on this group there.
    I should be writing. Now. I mean it.

Progress Report:
    Picture books (4): 52 rejections
    Short Stories/Poetry (7): 41 Rejections

SOLD! 3 poems to Highlights!

Looking for a writing group in eastern Pennsylvania? Click here!

Quote Originally Posted by Tilda
    Yelena, just keep in mind that an agent who asks you for upfront money is not someone you want to deal with. Agents get their commission only after they've sold your book (they usually take 15% of what you're paid). Also, a good agent has sold real books to real, advance-paying publishers -and they should list these somewhere. I know a few reputable ones who don't list, but the vast, vast majority does.
    Always Google prospective agencies (just put their name into Google and see what pops up) and search what's said about them here at the AW forums, too.
    Good luck!
    Hi Tilda,
    I sent already so many letters with synopsis and short previews of my story and the whole idea. Well.... So many letters already came back to me with kind words and wishes like yours - Good luck! I cannot find a right agent for my "Magic Kitchen" Book series. May I have your advice about somebody "right"?
    Thanks a lot for everythink,
    Yelena

Your Genial Uncle Absolute Sage James D. Macdonald's Avatar
    http://www.e-literaryagent.net/

E-Literary Agent:

The mission of e-LiteraryAgent is to help potential authors reach a wide spectrum of editors—editors who would be specifically interested in their type of book. For example, works of fiction would go to fiction editors—adult, romance, new age, children’s, and so on. Cookbooks would go to cookbook editors. Craft books would go to craft editors. And all of this would be done electronically, for fast and prompt responses.
    YADS

If they're free, they're a bad idea. If they charge money they're a scam.

Those manuscripts aren't going to go to any editors. Editors already have tons of manuscripts addressed to them by name. They aren't cruising the internet looking for yet more slush.

However, with e-Literary Agent, you can reach hundreds of editors at any one time, there is no paperwork going back and forth, and we can approach editors throughout the world with one email. It saves everyone time and money—and they can read your manuscript directly on-line, or print it out and read it at their leisure.
    How delightful! "One email." They're planning to spam. (Not that any editors -- editors at places where you'd want to be published, that is -- are going to be reading the site at all. Of the vanities, bottom-feeders, and wannabees you'll get a plethora.)

Editors can't buy manuscripts off display sites to start with -- since the manuscripts weren't submitted to them in the first place. A display site has only one advantage over the real way to sell manuscripts: You'll never get rejected. That's because your manuscript has never been submitted.

I've been seeing display sites like this pop up since 1991 or so. In the words of Rocket J. Squirrel, "That trick never works."

I see at the bottom of their main page:
    The material on this site is protected under the copyright laws of the United States of America and international conventions, and is the exclusive property of e-LiteraryAgent, Inc., or any licensee. All rights reserved. e-LiteraryAgent, Inc., 2006.
    Brief quotations for the purpose of education, comment, or criticism are fair use, Bucky. Don't even think about it.
    Last edited by James D. Macdonald; 11-14-2006 at 05:14 PM.

Grumpy writer and editor Absolute Sage Gillhoughly's Avatar
    Getting blitzed at Gillhoughly's Reef, Haleakaloha.
    Very difficult for me to recognise these snaky guys
    Just look for these red flags:

$195 to be listed for an entire year
    ONLY ever pay for postage while sending your MS to a real publishing house. You can find their names on the inside page of any book in a real bookstore. Their websites will have submission guidelines.

This site will be available
    PubliSHAMErica loves that phrase.

*I'm* totally available to star in the next James Bond movie and have posted such info throughout the Web. Still no takers. *sigh*

if they are interested...if someone is...if your book...
    If wishes were horses I'd be riding winners in the Kentucky Derby.

fill in the forms, include your payment (check, money order, or credit card)
    Biggest red flag of all. Run, don't walk, away and warn all your friends.

A safe place to go agent-hunting:

http://www.anotherealm.com/prededitors/pubagent.htm

Good luck!!

Writer Beware Goddess Absolute Sage victoriastrauss's Avatar
    Writer Beware has blogged about eLiteraryAgent.com.

- Victoria

Hello to everyone,
    I'm very glad, that my post has your comments and advices. I'm sure, your opinions will help many authors, not just me.
    Much appreciate your time,
    Yelena

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    Well, per this write-up in PW, no sales as of May 2007.

I'd think if they'd sold something since then, they'd have added a news/sales page....
    ICAO
    ---------
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017:

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    And now it's gone.

ETA: It didn't survive for long after the PW write-up.
    Last edited by CaoPaux; 07-25-2010 at 09:14 PM.
    ICAO
    ---------
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017: