Emanuel Church has a donate button on their website, if you'd like to help.

See also the Mother Emanuel Hope Fund

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: Found a good one--Elixir, by Gary Braver

still crazy after all these years AW Moderator Good Word's Avatar

Found a good one--Elixir, by Gary Braver

So I was in the book store and this one caught my eye. It's a biotech thriller about a guy who discovers, essentially, the fountain of youth in a medicinal plant while in a rainforest in Papua New Guinea. He brings it to the States, and the pharmaceutical company he works for catches wind of his private development of this rare plant that prevents human aging, and things get pretty twisted. Very cool, and it even has a shaman at the beginning (I love the shamanic stuff).

It's got moral dilemmas, a good plot, and solid writing. Well-researched, too.

The funny thing is, it turns out to be by a teacher I had many years ago, Gary Goshgarian (Braver is his pseudonym).

Anybody read it?

Or anything else good lately?
    Last edited by Good Word; 11-07-2006 at 09:09 AM.

Ooooh that sounds like something I'd really like. I love biotech thrillers. And what a neat coincidence!

I just finished Grave Surprise by Charlaine Harris. The Harper and Tolliver books are good, but there's a lack of zing in these books. I'm not sure I could put my finger on what doesn't quite work for me.

Yesterday I picked up Stephen King's Lisey's Story. I'm only a few pages in so I'm not quite sure what I think yet.

Website | Blog | Openings That Work | Twitter | Goodreads | Facebook | Google+

WHITE HORSE, coming April 17 (US/Canada), April 24 (Australia), and April 26 (UK), 2012 from Emily Bestler Books/Atria (Simon & Schuster).

Soldier, Storyteller Linda Adams's Avatar
    Cool! I may have to hunt that one down since we have the Elixir of Life in ours, too (though done very, very differently).
    Soldier, Storyteller | AW Library: Short Fiction

"The Sea Listens" in Enchanted Spark

Sounds great. I love biotech thrillers. I'll add it to my reading list.
    <clickety to see my books

Join us for the Absolute Write-in #AWritein

Marguerite Says...Microwave Peanut Butter Fudge

I also Twitter & Facebook

People think Iím disciplined. It is not discipline. It is devotion. There is a great difference ~Luciano Pavarotti