• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

The Story Plant (formerly The Fiction Studio) (Lou Aronica)

arlhope

Registered
Reaction score
Hello,
I have been thinking recently about writing my memoirs, however, knew that I would prefer having someone to write for me. I did research on the Internet and sent out some brief notes.

I have been contacted by a Lou Aronica [email protected] David Woolfe [email protected]. Both appear to be very legitimate and have vast experience with ghostwriting/editing, etc. I did speak with Lou Aronica on the phone today....he read my initial notes today and emailed me several times and asked for me to call at a specific timetoday. David Woolfe is reviewing my initial notes and will give me a free consultation and give me an update within a few days.

Writing is not my background....I have a powerful story that probably would benefit many people, however, my main goal for doing this is to hopefully re-shape a few people in my family that have also suffered a great deal....this may be my only way to do that....all other methods have failed.

I found this website and thought I would post a thread (after searching the index first) to see if anyone has any comments on either person.

Thank you so much in advance for any responses.

Sassenach

5 W's & an H
Registered
Reaction score
What does this mean:

however, my main goal for doing this is to hopefully re-shape a few people in my family that have also suffered a great deal....this may be my only way to do that....all other methods have failed.

arlhope

Registered
Reaction score
Ghostwriters/Editors

Thank you so much for your response

arlhope

Registered
Reaction score
Hello,
During my phone conversation with Lou today, he did review the process to me today...meet with me for 3 days for all the note taking, writing a proposal and submitting two chapters to a publisher, etc. He also said that he could assist with finding an agent. Is this the norm?

Bartholomew

Comic guy
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
arlhope said:
Hello,
During my phone conversation with Lou today, he did review the process to me today...meet with me for 3 days for all the note taking, writing a proposal and submitting two chapters to a publisher, etc. He also said that he could assist with finding an agent. Is this the norm?

Well, none of it sounds suspicious.

But like James said, Lou Aronica is a pretty big name in the business.

victoriastrauss

Writer Beware Goddess
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.victoriastrauss.com
arlhope said:
Hello,
This isn't unusual for a freelance editor to do. However, be aware that there are no guarantees--Lou Aronica has experience, contacts, and respect in the industry, but that won't necessarily mean that your proposal will sell or find representation. It's a competitive world out there, especially for memoirs. You may discover at the end of the process that you've spent many thousands of dollars for nothing.

- Victoria

arlhope

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you for all the responses.

I was wondering if anyone would mind reading through my initial notes....and critique for me and just tell me what you think.

Thanks

soloset

'bye
Registered
Reaction score
Have you tried the Share Your Work forum? There are lots of helpful critters over there.

HapiSofi

Hagiographically Advantaged
Registered
Reaction score
Lou's recently had some books published, pseudonymously, by a respectable trade house.

Last edited:

ghostwriter21

Maybe, maybe not
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.freelanceghost.com
As a ghostwriter, I can verify that selling memoirs is very tough. More than half the queries I receive are for memoirs, but most people have no notes or source materials. (I limit my clients to those who have some measure of preparation and organization--a personal preference.) The bigger problem is that, while I can't fault people for wanting to tell their stories, they usually don't have anything that is really marketable. You can't imagine how many women tell me that their therapists have told them to "publish" stories of abuse as a theraputic way of dealing with trauma.

I turn down most memoir work because people have unreasonable expectations and/or they are trying to redress some family problem that is fairly personal in nature. I agree with James D. above. The idea of "re-shaping family members" is something I would never handle, although I admittedly don't know the story behind this statement. I do know that people who have suffered greatly are often looking for catharsis through memoirs, and this is just not realistic. Just my own opinion. It's great if people want to go POD with their memoirs, but only if they truly understand that POD titles are expensive and not carried in brick and mortar stores as a rule. In this case, such a venture has to be a labor of love.

Many people want to write of their legal battles to find justice, but only in rare circumstances does such an idea have market potential.

I am uncomfortable with approaching an agent with only an idea and sample chapter before the book is written. Another personal preference. It is certainly done, but it amounts to writing "on spec." Sure, agents might express interest, but as Victoria points out, there's no guarantee in the long run that a lot of bucks will result in success. Most agents I have spoken with or read about say they want a finished manuscript to evaluate. Everybody's different.

Most prospective clients just don't understand the literary marketplace. I reject about 98% of all potential clients. Personally, I don't ever take on a client without talking at great length about the realities of publishing, regardless of what I'm presented with.

Tom Avitabile

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.tomavitabile.com
Lou Aronica is the best!

As my editor on, The Eighth Day, Lou magically pulled a better book out of me, from behind my ear! He never imposed his personal preferences. More importantly, he met me, a first time author, at my level of style, pace and structure, then working within my abilities, opened up me and my book to the level of a true novel. I can't say enough good things about Lou Aronica, so just read this a few more times.

Sushi

Registered
Reaction score
Just an update: Lou Aronica has joined forces with Peter Miller to form The Story Plant, an indie fiction publisher. http://thestoryplant.com/ They're publishing some really fine work and have distribution.

Unimportant

No COVID yet. Still masking.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I just wanted to let all y'all know that Lou Aronica at Gramarye Media (the new parent company of The Story Plant) is now accepting submissions.

Thanks!
Just noting that the OP, John Adcox, is the CEO of this press. Gramarye appears to be a new publisher with no books yet released. Two of their five forthcoming books are authored by staff members (John Adcox and Lou Aronica) of this press.

Brigid Barry

Under Consideration and Revising
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I was wondering why there wasn't already a bewares thread. I'm glad all y'all are on top of it!

Reactions: Gramps

JohnAdcox

King of the Wild Frontier
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.johnadcox.com
Gosh, I hope a "beware" isn't necessary.

Lou and my books aren't exactly a secret ... otherwise, we wouldn't have announced ourselves to the world with a Publisher's Weekly cover. My book was pitched to Story Plant long before the merger was even an idea (they published my first three books). I'm the one who talked Lou into doing a revised and expanded version of Blue, so that's on me. But it's a terrific book and it deserves the kind of resources that Gramarye can put behind it.

The Story Plant will continue to be our publishing arm and Lou will be the primary decision maker, although we'll be more than doubling his staff, as well as hiring artists/designers and marketing/advertising/publicity support. The Story Plant has a long history, and Lou has a very long and successful track record in the industry.

Please reach out to us with questions or concerns. We're more than happy to talk.

Unimportant

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Bewares is short for Bewares, Recommendations and Background Checks, which is the subforum we're in right now.

It's never personal -- we urge every writer to check out every aspect of a publisher before they submit, let alone contract. Each author has their own line in the sand. Some folks have been burnt in the past by a publisher who puts all the marketing dollars into the owner's books, leaving the rest high and dry. Some folks are determined to submit only to presses owned by women or rainbow folk. Heck, the recent furore over Christopher Paolini's latest book cover has some people putting Tor onto their Do-Not-Submit list, and Tor has enjoyed practically saintly status in the F/SF world for decades.

And it's not unreasonable to want to wait until a publisher has published some books so authors can check out their content and quality, even if the staff do have a long and honourable track history.

Unimportant

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
oops, double post

Last edited:
Reactions: Gramps

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
Gosh, I hope a "beware" isn't necessary.

Lou and my books aren't exactly a secret ... otherwise, we wouldn't have announced ourselves to the world with a Publisher's Weekly cover. My book was pitched to Story Plant long before the merger was even an idea (they published my first three books). I'm the one who talked Lou into doing a revised and expanded version of Blue, so that's on me. But it's a terrific book and it deserves the kind of resources that Gramarye can put behind it.

The Story Plant will continue to be our publishing arm and Lou will be the primary decision maker, although we'll be more than doubling his staff, as well as hiring artists/designers and marketing/advertising/publicity support. The Story Plant has a long history, and Lou has a very long and successful track record in the industry.

Please reach out to us with questions or concerns. We're more than happy to talk.
The link to submit to Lou Aronica on your submissions page at https://www.gramaryemedia.com/contact-us/submissions/ does not work