• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

writethestoryforme.com

Tilly

Registered
Reaction score
Um, from a quick glance, I get to bid on ebay for the opportunity to contribute fifty words to an ebook? Oh rapturous joy!

TeddyG

The Other Shoe Will Fall!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.virginisrael.com
It never ceases to amaze me how the ingenious human mind can concoct new schemes to part a person from his money.

Opinion? You have got to be kidding me.....

Oh wait...I am just dying to go to ebay and have my 50 words "immortalized" by bidding on a space in some yo-yo's universe.

Tilly

Registered
Reaction score
Clearly this is not a commercial venture (for the writers anyway), but I don't get it as an artistic venture either. If I was part of a collaboration, I'd want my contribution to be more meaningful than fifty words.

My guess is that it won't pan out - that people won't want to participate. At least if they do, these people seem pretty up front about everything.

Last edited:

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
P. T. Barnum was right . . .

Bartholomew

Comic guy
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Mike Coombes said:
You can screw some of the writers, some of the time...

Did he really say that? ;)

You're thinking of Lincoln.

Barnum (supposedly) said words to the effect of, "There's a sucker born every minute."

JeanneTGC

I *am* Catwoman...and Gini Koch
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ginikoch.com
Barnum underestimated.

I am very comfortable betting, right now, that they do indeed get plenty of folks out there to participate. (I've worked in marketing too long now to ever believe that common sense exists when hope and desire are enticed, with bright shiny objects and the promise of instant glory, to override it.)

Arden

Happy to be here!
Registered
Reaction score
Bartholomew said:
Barnum (supposedly) said words to the effect of, "There's a sucker born every minute."

No, that's not true. He said there's a customer born every minute, and he went it with the utmost respect for the public. This was in the days when he ran the American Museum and featured incredible "oddities of nature". It was one of the newspapers at the time who quoted one of Barnum's detractors who was both jealous of Barnum's success and disdainful of the public.

BARNUM WAS A SHOWMAN, not a jerk.

imagoodgurl4

Attack!
Registered
Reaction score
Why should I pay to write your story?When I get published...I want the credit to go to me (and my agent and my editer, etc.)....not someone who couldn't write themselves and had to contract the work out to other people. Sounds nuts to me, but then, my mental stability is frequently questioned. :)

greatfish

Registered
Reaction score
victoriastrauss said:
Update on writethestoryforme.com: they are paying contributors. The rationale is kinda weird, though.

- Victoria

Yeah, now they pay you for submission, but only if you have a bank account and give them all your information.