SciFi/Fantasy First Line Game

CJ.Wolfe

Close your eyes and jump
Registered
Reaction score
I was born human, for a moment anyway, then the searing pain of someone sealing a Djinn to my soul turned be into... well, whatever sort of halfling I am now.

Ralley37

Registered
Reaction score
In retrospect, crashing on the middle moon of Naambit 337 was the only real break Captian Voorshing had been ever given by the fates, a stroke of luck he shared with the hundred thousand or so remaining lifeforms in Veltrac Galaxy -- the only galaxy to endure The Rebirth in the entirety of space and time, as it's known to us.

Johnny Von Rotten

Classy
Registered
Reaction score
In retrospect, crashing on the middle moon of Naambit 337 was the only real break Captian Voorshing had been ever given by the fates, a stroke of luck he shared with the hundred thousand or so remaining lifeforms in Veltrac Galaxy -- the only galaxy to endure The Rebirth in the entirety of space and time, as it's known to us.

Tell me that's not a real first line...

The_Riskbreaker

knows bears make everything worse
Registered
Reaction score
Sometimes the only between thing between the hero and the villian is the person's state of mind.

or

Opening your eyes to a bullet riddled wall isn't nearly as bad as closing them outside the building.

Also, I agree with Johnny, Ralley's line isn't really a run on, but it reads like one. And in general, I don't think it's a good way to start off a book.

Wind Ann Wise

The Quiet One
Registered
Reaction score
@The Riskbreaker: I like them both, but the second one really intrigued me. I wanted to see what happened next.

Here's mine:
"The big red-brown wolf fell to the ground for what seemed like the thousandth time that afternoon."

caliph

Registered
Reaction score
Just a few more days before we'll have to move again, away from the forest.

Adelaide

Registered
Reaction score
I held my breath; a year passed by. I trudged for miles, hoping to reach the cold face of the planet and the cracks where water hid.

Raventongue

little orphan anarchist
Registered
Reaction score
Everyone knows faster-than-light travel makes you fat.

I think this may be best read in the voice of a stereotypical cheerleader type.

Grunkins

Grand adventurer of the couch
Registered
Reaction score
His Sprite 'N A Jar dimmed to complete darkness before he remembered to poke holes in the lid.

ironmikezero

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
The sales pitch for virtual immortality sounded pretty good - right up until they passed out the organ donor cards.

Tanydwr

Registered
Reaction score
There is nothing like having your reality turned upside down - except having it turned upside down by a lying bastard who is determined to make you the 'Mother of the Empire' whether you like it or not.

(Not the real first line, but inspired by yet another idea - I'd really do well to focus on one project at a time...)

Vaguely Piratical

Registered
Reaction score
I am just a simple business man who has been blessed with many friends and a virtually unlimited supply of assassin drones.

sciencewarrior

It's alive!
Registered
Reaction score
Gratitude Day was originally the day the people lost the prophet and received iron, but it later became a holiday in which men offered cakes to the women they considered important in their lives, and the Five Ministries posted the results of the annual exams.

Last edited: