• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

IILAA / International Independent Literary Agents Association

Popeyesays

Now departed. Rest in peace, Scott, from all of us
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
http://www.iilaa.com/

It looks like our favorite agent has forged diplomatic ties with the NYLA.

Regards,
Scott

triceretops

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
guerrillawarfareforwriters.blogspot.com
5) Websites such as SFWA, Writers’ Beware, Predators & Editors, along with associated blogs and chatrooms/forums are operated and monitored by people who are dedicated to you, the writer.

• The operators/monitors of these groups have an agenda…and it isn’t to protect you. Their agenda is to destroy the reputations, and therefore, the business of independent agents. They do not do this out of the kindness of their hearts, or because they truly care about you, the writer. They do this for a reason!
This is pure drek! Yeah, they don't care about writers, eh? They're writers, too, you big boob. Their reason is to keep you wolves at bay and stop slaughtering the literary arts, and slapping your money-grubbing hands, whilst you take advantage of the newbies, who might be caught in your line of crap.

If god did not want them sheared, he would not have made them sheep--this is closer to your agenda, and with whatever brush you paint your intention with, you can't hide your true motivations for being an "Independent Agent."

Tri

triceretops

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website

Alan Yee

Still Here!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
triceretops said:
Homepage
Top Ten Literary Agents
(Click agency name for website)
Barbara Bauer Literary Agency, Inc.
Capital Literary Agents
Desert Rose Literary Agency
Harris Literary Agency
Martin-McLean Literary Associates
Milligan Literary Agency
Mocknick Productions Literary Agency

Nancy Ellis Literary Agency
Sligo Literary Agency LLC.

Dear lord, we've really had it now if these are the top ten best agents. Could it be that this is the rebuttal (sp) to the top 20 worst? Oh, my!

Tri
Hey, I recognize many of those... from the Top 20 Worst list, of course.

Have Ann and Victoria put out the Top 10 Worst Publishers list yet? Or would it just be PublishAmerica listed ten times?

Bartholomew

Comic guy
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
That is the most comical website I have ever seen. :D

mdin

The late, the great XThe NavigatorX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.mattdinniman.com
Holy crap! This is pure gold. This has to be a come on.

It's like that old episode of the original Batman showwhere the different bad guys all band together.

I wonder if they have a secret lair.

mdin

The late, the great XThe NavigatorX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.mattdinniman.com
The domain registration is anonymous, but it is hosted on the same server as The Desert Rose Agency.

Popeyesays

Now departed. Rest in peace, Scott, from all of us
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
How's this for a Freudian slip?

"Agents were no longer a luxury, but a necessity. Although reading/evaluation fees are still considered a no-no, a reasonable upfront fee became the norm. If you hire an attorney for representation, you are expected to be a retainer fee. "

And I suspect that is all any of their clients are to them "retainer fees".

Regards,
Scott

scully931

So you're suggesting what? Bigfoot?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.paragonstudios.org
:Jaw:
Wow.

I love how they say several times "Or do they have an agenda." (which, by the way should have question mark after it and not a period) It's like some bad Saturday Night Live skit or something.

The good thing is they must be getting desperate.

Novelust

*Does not molest books.
Registered
Reaction score
5) Websites such as SFWA, Writers’ Beware, Predators & Editors, along with associated blogs and chatrooms/forums are operated and monitored by people who are dedicated to you, the writer.

The operators/monitors of these groups have an agenda…and it isn’t to protect you. Their agenda is to destroy the reputations, and therefore, the business of independent agents. They do not do this out of the kindness of their hearts, or because they truly care about you, the writer. They do this for a reason!

I knew it! I knew the watch groups had to be involved in some vast anti-indie agent conspiracy. To think - all this time, Writer Beware and their ilk have been carefully feeding us disinformation, lulling us into a false sense of security while they prepare to--wait, what, exactly?

Come on, Indie/Worst Agents. You've put down only half the story. Give these sinister watch groups some sort of motivation behind their reputation-destroying agenda.

Tell us the watch site owners are an elite team working for Big Publishing (or, you know, the government - whatever works for you). Tell us their mission is to trick beginning writers into submitting wrongly-formatted manuscripts, so that Big Publishing can throw them directly into the trash and focus instead on manuscripts bearing the secret publishing 'Mystery Word' (available for $69.95 at www.bbla.com) that guarantees safe passage to the desk of a super-important editor.

Last edited:

JeanneTGC

I *am* Catwoman...and Gini Koch
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ginikoch.com
What's truly scary about this is that it will absolutely lure in some folks. If I hadn't stumbled upon the P&E site, and then connected to this one, I would probably give these folks a shot. *shudders*

FergieC

Bored at work fanatic
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathferguson.co.uk
The International Independent Literary Agents Association (IILAA) is composed of independent agents who have formed an association for the purpose of better serving our clients.

Independent from what?

triceretops

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
The International Independent Literary Agents Association (IILAA) is composed of independent agents who have formed an association for the purpose of better serving our clients.

Wait a minute...who belongs to this? Is this new and entirely made up by the scammer agencies? If this is an umbrella (sp) tag, then it just makes it easier for us to identify all them and heap them in the same rotten egg crate. Surely this wasn't their intention. That's just nuts.

And, yes. I suppose this little site is designed to rope-a-dope from another angle. I wonder who scribed this site. Was it Desert Rose?

Tri

K1P1

Procrastination is its own reward
Registered
Reaction score
I'm confused. I vist that link and all I get is a jpg image. Did they get rid of what you guys were looking at? Or have I just disabled some that needs to run to get into it?

roger

Registered
Reaction score
Website
rogersplog.blogspot.com
Popeyesays said:
you are expected to be a retainer fee[/I][/B]. "

And I suspect that is all any of their clients are to them "retainer fees".

Regards,
Scott

Yes. I spotted that too! Very revealing.

I must admit, they deny having an agenda so much that I'm beginning to wonder if they don't, uh... have an agenda.

triceretops

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
Okay, they gave us a little helping hand to add three more foo fighters to our list:

Milligan is a straight-away vanity press, lots of expenses.

Nancy Ellis provides editorial services at her descretion (which is always).

Sligo (Mr. Sluggo) requires $175.00 desposit on account before signing the contract.

Tri

K1P1

Procrastination is its own reward
Registered
Reaction score
All I can say is "Oh My God"! Do you think they're going to start having ILAA conventions and workshops so they can scam more people in person?

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madhousemanor.wordpress.com
Let me see if I can answer their questions:

Why Choose an IILAA agent?

Because you have too much money in your bank account and no desire to actually be published by a legitimate publisher.

What is an agent's job?

To represent the clients that they already have: to guide their clients' careers, to represent their clients' works to (and negotiate the most favorable contracts possible with) publishers; to keep track of rights and royalties, and much else besides.

Retainer Fees- To Pay or not to pay?

Not to pay.

Top Ten Best Independent Literary Agents

Hey, guys, you missed a few. You can go to the Top Twenty Best Independent Literary Agents because we've already done the research for you: http://www.sfwa.org/beware/twentyworst.html

How to spot hate sites who prey on the insecurities of writers.

Look for sites that say it's common and acceptable for agents to charge up-front fees, that it's common and acceptable to hire a "professional editor" prior to submission, that it's common and acceptable to pay to be published, that publishers only publish books by celebrities or previously published and/or big-name authors, that 'bookstores are lousy places to sell books,' that publishers do not market and/or promote all of their books, and that the 'watchdog groups' are all in the pay of some shadowy conspiracy to keep new writers down.

Publishing Myths

See http://nielsenhayden.com/makinglight/archives/005540.html for a starting point.

Coming soon

More blather from this group of agents who couldn't sell a book to a legitimate publisher if you held a gun to their heads.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
"The operators/monitors of these groups have an agenda…and it isn’t to protect you. Their agenda is to destroy the reputations, and therefore, the business of independent agents. They do not do this out of the kindness of their hearts, or because they truly care about you, the writer. They do this for a reason!"

Perhaps they would like to share it with us.