Not open for further replies.

JennaGlatzer

wishes you happiness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jennaglatzer.com
Hi folks,

Before I say anything else: I AM NOT LEAVING. :)

That said, I am giving ownership of Absolute Write to MacAllister Stone in a few days.

I have so much love for this place and all the people in it. I'm pretty sure you all know that. You may also suspect that it's a pretty stressful job running this place. I get plenty of hate mail in addition to the "love mail," lawsuit threats from basically everyone who's ever been listed on the Bewares board, really hurtful things I've seen said about me online, etc. That and the ultra-enjoyable tech troubles and random crises that seem to pop up every two weeks or so.

Mac knows about all that stuff, because I talk to her about it when it gets me down. And yet when I asked her if she'd consider taking over AW, her answer-- without a single question or qualification-- was yes. She didn't ask about our earnings, or how much time this will take for her, or what her personal liabilities would be... just "yes." Mac loves this community like I do. She wants what's best for it. And I can't wait to see what she does with it.

She's more technology-minded than I am, so I think you can expect to see some cool updates and improvements-- things like podcasts and RSS feeds. But as far as the tone and style of this forum, I don't think you'll see much change in that at all. There's a real warmth to this place, and Mac has always been one of the people at the heart of that. We share the same philosophies about how this place works best.

As for my involvement here, it's hard to predict. I'm more than halfway through my pregnancy. So far, I'm feeling good, though I get tired easily. I have known from the beginning that I need to cut back on stress, so that's what I'm trying to do. I don't want to worry about putting out a newsletter while I'm having contractions.

My current plan is to stay as active here as usual for about the next month, while Mac transitions into her new role. After that, I'd like to cut back or possibly take a full break. Long term, I'm not sure what my position here will be, but I don't ever plan to leave forever. (Heck, I'd have to send Billy the Enforcer and Tiny Terror after myself.)

I hope you can understand, and I know you'll support Mac as she becomes the new head honcho (honchette?) around here. She's a pretty amazing person, and she's inheriting a fantastic staff (including Charlie and Fahim, who'll remain her co-administrators; and Amy Brozio-Andrews, the managing editor of Absolute Write; in addition to the terrific members of the Mod Squad and all the great people who write for our newsletters).

Thank you for letting me feel that I've done something meaningful for these last 7 years. Most people, if they wanted to stop running their business, could just shut down the business and walk away. I can't do that. You people would riot. And that feels cool. :D I know that Absolute Write has grown a lot bigger than me.

I could go on and on, but I'll just leave it at this:

Thank you. Lots of love to you.

And welcome to your new job, MacAllister. :heart:

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Best wishes to both you and Mac.

Life is a journey, I hope you both enjoy the ride (that would be on a horse for Mac). :)

Charles

Wordworm

Impotent Omnipotent
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gxo.com
It's wonderful to be able to move along on your own terms and at the same time ensure that the succession of control and management goes the way it should. Congrats on doing all that so smoothly, Jenna—and as well, on doing the hardest part: envisioning and building Absolute Write in the first place.

Angelinity

absent
Registered
Reaction score
wow - seven years is a good chunk of life (and a great renewal cycle as well :) ) i just found this site a short couple of months ago and yeah :D would join the riot should you up and shut it down!

taking time off is the right thing to do of course, with the baby :D (congratulations!) coming -- it will help you find balance and harmony (hm, maybe they're the same thing?).

best wishes!

karenmary

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lynch.st
JennaGlatzer said:
Thank you. Lots of love to you.
And welcome to your new job, MacAllister. :heart:

Jenna, best of luck to you. I love that you are doing what is best for you and your baby so congratulations on being so, so brave by handing this over to someone else.

MacAllister, good luck!

KML

Rolling Thunder

Registered
Reaction score
Change is natural and in your case, a healthy choice. You might be a little torn about the change for awhile, Jenna, but you'll soon have a much more important 'baby' to care for.

And just drop us a hint about who's being a meany. We'll all gang up on them.

Heh heh heh.........Mac's a fun choice

Ol' Fashioned Girl

Hand? What hand?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenniferdahl.com
We'll have the Absolute best of all possible worlds: you'll still be around, Jenna; Mac will be a wonderful successor and Absolute Write will go on.

What more could we ask? :D

Best to you! Best to Mac! And best to AW.

DeniseK

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
I envision a time when you come here just to have fun, Jenna. I admire you for all the hard work you've done, with AW and with your writing career, but change is good, and being a mom is going to be the most wonderful thing in your life. I agree that Mac is great, and you won't have to worry about a thing with her at the helm.

Good luck with the transition, but I don't think you'll need luck, not with this decision. ;)

Simran

All the best to you and your growing family Jenna. Looking forward to seeing the pics of your bundle of joy when she arrives.

Congratulations Mac! You'll do Jenna and AW proud, I'm sure.

aadams73

A Work in Progress
Registered
Reaction score
You're doing the right(but not necessarily easy) thing and I admire you for it. I wish you nothing but the best(just don't leave us forever...or else!) :D

Congrats Mac, we all love you, and we're pleased to have you at the helm.

ChunkyC

It's hard being green
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I have to tell you all that since Jenna told me of her plan to sell AW to Mac, I've been suffering the most incredible mixture of sadness and excitement.

Sadness because Jenna will no longer be my boss.
Excitement because Mac will now be my boss.

Sadness because I fear I won't talk with Jenna as much as I have before.
Excitement because I'll now talk with Mac more than I have before.

Okay, you can see where this is going. I love both these ladies and would throw myself on my sword for either of them without hesitation. It will take a bit of time to adjust to what I see as a bit of a role reversal -- Jenna will still hang out and be an admin and Mac will now wear the crown -- but once they're settled into their new roles, I see nothing but continued success for Absolute Write.

All hail Jenna!
All hail Mac!

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
Jenna, you've done an incredible job...nowhere else like this on the net anywhere. I'm glad we don't have to say goodbye, just 'don't forget to take the runs the joint out from under your name'. (-;

We will always love you, whether you wear the pretty I'm-the-boss crown or not. Thank you, thank you, thank you.

McAllister...I have complete faith in you! Congratulations.

DeborahM

I need espresso & chocolate!
Registered
Reaction score
Wow! Each day is definately a new day here. Jenna, I'm sorry to see you take off, but then you have a new path to follow that will be extremely more important. Take care of you and the baby and the family as a whole. Enjoy your time together and what other things you decide to evolve in.

MaAllister! Congrats to you!

stormie

storm central
Registered
Reaction score
Still three blocks from the Atlantic Ocean
Website
www.anneskal.wordpress.com
So glad you're NOT LEAVING, Jenna! I mean, come on, how can I stay calm then??? Storms on my end would be brewing. I can't believe it's been seven years. I joined sometime in the early years, when it was the old boards. Time sure has flown. I've learned a lot from these boards, and your AW site, and I still do. You've done a super job. Now on to getting ready for your little girl's arrival, and of course, writing!

Mac, you'll be terrific! Jenna's chosen a great person to run this joint. And with Charlie and Fahim and Roger and all the others, you'll be great. Thanks for saying "yes" to Jenna!

Forbidden Snowflake

I'm quite put out.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.vinjii.ch
Best wishes to you :)

You scared me at first, so I'm very glad you will stay!

And good luck to Mac, I know will be great :D

A. Hamilton

here for a minute...catch me?
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Wishing you the best with the remainder of your pregnancy and the beginning of your new family. It's just like you to think of us and put us in such good hands.

MacAllister

'Twas but a dream of thee
Staff member
Boss Mare
Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
Thanks, folks. Seriously, Jenna is a sister to me. I have the very highest regard for what she's accomplished here. My only question was the same as yours--"wait...you're not leaving, though, right?"

WriterInChains

Feed my eyes
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for starting AW, Jenna. This was my first good experience in a community of writers, and that means more to me than I'm able to express. I've come so far in the past year and a half that I barely remember the chick who thought she'd probably never return after the first week (she picked a pretty lame login, but I forgive her).

I'm so glad AW won't disappear, but I'm also glad you're being kind to yourself. Every woman needs to be her own best friend sometimes. Take care & be happy.

TheIT

Infuriatingly Theoretical
Registered
Reaction score
Good luck to both of you in your new roles!

Status
Not open for further replies.