The AW Amazon Store
Buy Books by AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The Lies Scammers Tell About Us

Banned for Spamming
    Quote Originally Posted by Maryn View Post
    Amen, Uncle Jim. Instead of being cowed into submission, which is exactly what the threats seek to do, share the facts with those who collect such material and distribute it to other writers.

Maryn
    Well said. You can't just give in and there's this freedom of speech. You can just post those threats without posting his/her name.

Well a lot of scammers revolve in this world. I've been with one, a [spam link redacted by hostile Admin] commercial office for rent [sites offered something and I recieved a single email then poof. Gone. Useless and very frustrating.
    Last edited by AW Admin; 05-12-2010 at 08:17 AM. Reason: spam link and violation of I before E except after C

is this how it ends? SuperModerator poetinahat's Avatar
    Um, how about a side of hashbrowns with that spam?

Maybe they thought it said "spammers" instead of "scammers" and figured it was a thread made for them.

Twitter: @petedutcherjr PeteDutcher's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JennaGlatzer View Post

Very few people expect to get rich and famous with their writing. Normally, people's goals are much more humble. They want to see their book on real bookstore shelves. They want strangers to read it. They want a few reviews.
    Speak for yourself! Frankly, I would consider averaging $300 per week of my writing being rich at this point!

everybody's least favourite bunch of anonymous book-burners, the so-called Write Agenda, have a new strap-line on their front page. (yeah, i do keep going there - but only to see if i can annoy them any more by asking them to explain their stance on book burning and whether they've actually read Fahrenheit 451).

It reads: “An Author site/blog using Google ads to generate revenue from authors probably isn’t anyone you want to read."

Hmm. Sounds familiar (scroll up, peeps). It also smacks of childish desperation. I won't link to it, but I think the sock-puppets are hurtin'.
    your statutory rights are not affected. much.

HTTN (MC1) - coming in 2015.
    HKV (MC2) - complete @ 149k.
    Johnny Silver Adventures - 3 down, 2 to go...

http://stevenpoore.wordpress.com/

I'm an excellent poofreader. Astronomer's Avatar
    Thanks for fighting the good fight. It actually frightens me to imagine where I'd be if I hadn't found AbsoluteWrite. This community has not only steered me in the right direction with regard to agents and publishers; it's also made me a better writer. All new writers should be so lucky.

It's tough to keep it up when the very people you're trying to help resist you, but every member here is a success story.

Thanks .

Your Genial Uncle Absolute Sage James D. Macdonald's Avatar
    I love hearing the scammers scream. It means we're doing something right.

practical experience, FTW
    Thanks for giving us members here detailed info on what the truth really is regarding the"lies scammers tell about us."
    Co author of humor blog on wordpress.org
    http://societyfordaintydamsels.com

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Astronomer View Post
    Thanks for fighting the good fight. It actually frightens me to imagine where I'd be if I hadn't found AbsoluteWrite. This community has not only steered me in the right direction with regard to agents and publishers; it's also made me a better writer. All new writers should be so lucky.

It's tough to keep it up when the very people you're trying to help resist you, but every member here is a success story.

Thanks .
    Couldn't agree more. I've been reading on AW for quite a while and it has been more than worth my time. A big Thanks to all people sharing their experience!

Quote Originally Posted by peterkral View Post
    A background check or background investigation is the process of looking up and compiling criminal records, commercial records and financial records of an individual or an organization.

.................................................. ..........

[Spam URL redacted -- JDM]
    I'm not usually this jerky, but you should really cite Wikipedia, if you are going to quote them almost word for word.
    Last edited by James D. Macdonald; 09-28-2012 at 06:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lilybiz View Post
    I listened to the Barbara Bauer podcast that Miss Snark linked to today. It made me think it's time for all writers who care to stand up with Jenna, Dave K, Anne, Victoria and Miss Snark.

I have first hand, brand new information and communication with Victoria on a subject facing me for the past few days.
    She is logical, knowledgeable, concise and more than generous with her time in explaining to me exactly why I was headed a disastrous direction.

At my age those kinds of directions are, well................ disastrous. heh................. If Jenna is anything like Victoria, then she has another fan.
    P

"An ole bre'r rabbit.... he set in de bushes.... he watch an' he wait.... lay low an' he don' say nuffin'.

Introvert Realism
    I've gained so, so much helpful information, from the very first post of this thread.

That, I just had to chime in and say, "Thanks".

figuring it all out
    Good info to have! Thanks!

Born Under a Bad Star southernwriter's Avatar
    I haven't been here for a while, but was just grabbing a url for a friend that I wanted to introduce to AW and what to my wondering eyes did appear but Barbara Bauer still up to her old tricks. How is she getting away with it?

figuring it all out JenniferMannering's Avatar
    Haha this made me laugh
    Please help me with my query letter! Trying to write it feels like trying to run through wet sand...while drunk....and on fire...wearing ten tonnes of steel armour....

Query Letter

------------

“Words are, in my not-so-humble opinion, our most inexhaustible source of magic. Capable of both inflicting injury, and remedying it.”

― J.K. Rowling

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123