• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Perseus Books Group / Running Press / Avalon Travel / Argo Navis

smallthunder

Ruled by Dachshunds
Registered
Reaction score
Has anybody successfully pitched to Running Press and/or have an e-mail address of someone there in general-audience acquisitions and/or know if the lack of a SASE is the kiss-of-death for them?

I have a "general-interest" nonfiction book that I want Running Press to consider ...

Their website's submission guidelines pages says, under "General Audience (All Ages) Proposals": "To submit a prosoal for an appropriate work of nonfiction, pleases end a query letter accompanied by a brief outline or table of contents to the address below."

Then, a little bit further down, under "How to Submit Your Proposal": "Please include a self-addressed, stamped envelope with your submission so that we may send you a reply."

Here's the problem -- since some places request a query letter BEFORE a proposal (i.e. send a query first; if interested, they'll ask you for a proposal) ... and some places only request a SASE if you want your material returned (which I don't) ... I messed up & missed that bit about the SASE.

I sent my query-and-toc without a SASE earlier this week. What should I do now?

davids

Banned
Reaction score
How about sending em one and saying something like I apologize and here is the SASE

smallthunder

Ruled by Dachshunds
Registered
Reaction score
davids said:
How about sending em one and saying something like I apologize and here is the SASE

Do you think that'll work?

I am afraid that there will be such a large pile of mailed submissions that they will have already chucked my proposal and forgotten about it by the time they reach the envelope with the apology & SASE.

Of course, it would serve me right to be left hanging -- should have been more careful.

Of course, I'm predicating this on a rejection -- if they love my proposal, I don't suppose a SASE would hold them back.

I think I'll just go put my head down on the desk and moan a while ...

davids

Banned
Reaction score
smallthunder-don't you dare-let us get practical-just for a wee bit-WHAT HAVE YOU GOT TO LOSE? You never know-maybe they are sitting around all excited and frustrated because this great piece they just received has no SASE-come on-just do it and see what happens and the next time do not forget! Yes they are busy-but-they are also people-you know what I mean? No matter what negative things you hear-they are human beings-believe it or not-and being such-maybe they are arrogant-thoughtless-twigs-and if they are to heck with em anyway-if they are not-which most are not-believe it or not-maybe thay just might appreciate the gesture and say hey this is kind of nice and boy this is unusual-where was that manuscript again-let us have a look at it-or query or whatever bon bons they may have had sent to them-just go ahead and do it and keep writing and just keep on-after all you have nothing to lose and everything to gain-take care and in case I have not mentioned it-JUST DO IT!

outsidethebox

Registered
Reaction score
Call and ask to speak with the editorial assistant, who more than likely handles incoming submissions. Ask him/her if they've received your ms or not. Then you get your answer. You can alway re-submit the entire ms again if they have no idea what you're talking about. I've worked on the other end of publishing and stuff gets lost all the time!

Novelust

*Does not molest books.
Registered
Reaction score
Actually, I would say don't call.

Resubmit the query and table of contents with a SASE. They can't play match up with a SASE they don't know is following the original, and if they tossed your first out for not following submission guidelines, they'll need a new copy. If you want, include a line in the new query that says you noticed that you accidentally submitted without including an SASE on such-and-such date, and wanted to correct the error. We all have, 'whoops, sorry!' days.

PattiTheWicked

Unleashing Hell.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pattiwigington.com
Technically, the SASE is probably not that big of a deal -- your contact information should be on your MS anyway, so if they like it they'll call you, not send you a letter. The SASE is useful, however, for when they want to reject you, and that's why it's included in submission guidelines. I'd go ahead and send it in with a letter explaining why you're sending it, so they see you're capable of following directions.

That having been said, there have been times I've included a SASE, and STILL got a rejection in the publishing house's envelope.

Dollywagon

Registered
Reaction score
Running Press Kids

Does anybody have any info on Running Kids Press? Apparently it's an imprint of Perseus Books. The website link I've got doesn't work, but Perseus say they have an "innovative model of publishing"

Vanity press?

Dollywagon

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, James. That was quick.
I'd tried P&E and not come up with anything so assumed the worst ...

SHBueche

What happened to my LIFE?!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ShelleyBueche.com
You know, that's a good question ... I've wondered the same exact thing. Perhaps we can contact them and ask.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Just a note that Avalon Travel Publishing (of Avalon Publishing Group, Inc.) is in turn part of the Perseus Books Group.

From a quick comparison of Wanted vs. current http://www.moon.com/booklist/index.html, it looks like they are indeed still looking for those subjects.

steph804

Registered
Reaction score
[Publisher] Perseus Book Group

He,

I have recieved an initial "offer" from Running Press to publish a journal type of book that I have written? i don't know if the offer is fair or reasonable. Is there any one or place that I can turn to get the info or advise i need?

Thanks
Steph

Dollywagon

Registered
Reaction score
I'm confused about Running Press Kids.
On the link you give, James, it says no unsolicited subs. Yet I subbed my first to them last year (I MUST have seen submission guidelines somewhere or wouldn't have done it) and got a rejection but inviting me to sub again. I subbed again and got a similar (but not the same rejection) again inviting me to sub in the future.
I sent another off a few weeks ago ... I'm sure they say they accept unsolicted subs somewhere ... unless they just think 'it's that stupid woman from Scotland again.'

steph804

Registered
Reaction score
Yes, that is the group, they are out of Philadelphia PA.

My work was unsolicited, but I called them (obviously not experienced!!) and punched in a random extension. I spoke to someone and she told me to send to the submission dept and wait to hear from them. I got an email a little over a month later and now I am at a loss as to what to do.

Dollywagon

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks James!

Did the email make you an offer, Steph? If so, well done!

steph804

Registered
Reaction score
Yes, It did...thanks!!!

Now I just have to figure out my next steps??? Anyone have any do's or don'ts?

I have NEVER done anything like this and am totally lost

Thanks

Susan B

Accordion Dreams
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.blairkilpatrick.com
Steph,

Glad to see you posted over here.

Again, I hope you will get some responses from more experienced people. But I have one thought: if you want to get an agent to represent you, this could be an opportune time. Obviously, it is not necessary to have an agent (especially for nonfiction) but there are many advangages. (Someone to handle the business end, to open other doors, to represent future projects.) Have you done other writing, or do you plan to?

Maybe you could post in the "Ask the Agent" forum about whether it would make sense to try to get an agent, for a project like this.

Good luck!

Susan

steph804

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, I have it posted somewhere here, but I will email you