The AW Amazon Store
Buy books by AWers

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Perseus Books Group / Running Press / Avalon Travel / Argo Navis

Ruled by Dachshunds smallthunder's Avatar

Perseus Books Group / Running Press / Avalon Travel / Argo Navis

Has anybody successfully pitched to Running Press and/or have an e-mail address of someone there in general-audience acquisitions and/or know if the lack of a SASE is the kiss-of-death for them?

I have a "general-interest" nonfiction book that I want Running Press to consider ...

Their website's submission guidelines pages says, under "General Audience (All Ages) Proposals": "To submit a prosoal for an appropriate work of nonfiction, pleases end a query letter accompanied by a brief outline or table of contents to the address below."

Then, a little bit further down, under "How to Submit Your Proposal": "Please include a self-addressed, stamped envelope with your submission so that we may send you a reply."

Here's the problem -- since some places request a query letter BEFORE a proposal (i.e. send a query first; if interested, they'll ask you for a proposal) ... and some places only request a SASE if you want your material returned (which I don't) ... I messed up & missed that bit about the SASE.

I sent my query-and-toc without a SASE earlier this week. What should I do now?
    "'Reeling and Writhing, of course, to begin with,' the Mock Turtle replied; 'and then the different branches of arithmetic -- Ambition, Distraction, Uglification, and Derision.'

banned as an incurable tosspot davids's Avatar
    How about sending em one and saying something like I apologize and here is the SASE

Quote Originally Posted by davids
    How about sending em one and saying something like I apologize and here is the SASE
    Do you think that'll work?

I am afraid that there will be such a large pile of mailed submissions that they will have already chucked my proposal and forgotten about it by the time they reach the envelope with the apology & SASE.

Of course, it would serve me right to be left hanging -- should have been more careful.

Of course, I'm predicating this on a rejection -- if they love my proposal, I don't suppose a SASE would hold them back.

I think I'll just go put my head down on the desk and moan a while ...
    "'Reeling and Writhing, of course, to begin with,' the Mock Turtle replied; 'and then the different branches of arithmetic -- Ambition, Distraction, Uglification, and Derision.'

banned as an incurable tosspot davids's Avatar
    smallthunder-don't you dare-let us get practical-just for a wee bit-WHAT HAVE YOU GOT TO LOSE? You never know-maybe they are sitting around all excited and frustrated because this great piece they just received has no SASE-come on-just do it and see what happens and the next time do not forget! Yes they are busy-but-they are also people-you know what I mean? No matter what negative things you hear-they are human beings-believe it or not-and being such-maybe they are arrogant-thoughtless-twigs-and if they are to heck with em anyway-if they are not-which most are not-believe it or not-maybe thay just might appreciate the gesture and say hey this is kind of nice and boy this is unusual-where was that manuscript again-let us have a look at it-or query or whatever bon bons they may have had sent to them-just go ahead and do it and keep writing and just keep on-after all you have nothing to lose and everything to gain-take care and in case I have not mentioned it-JUST DO IT!

Thanks, davids -- you are right, of course.

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    ICAO
    ---------
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017:

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
    Call and ask to speak with the editorial assistant, who more than likely handles incoming submissions. Ask him/her if they've received your ms or not. Then you get your answer. You can alway re-submit the entire ms again if they have no idea what you're talking about. I've worked on the other end of publishing and stuff gets lost all the time!

*Does not molest books. Novelust's Avatar
    Actually, I would say don't call.

Resubmit the query and table of contents with a SASE. They can't play match up with a SASE they don't know is following the original, and if they tossed your first out for not following submission guidelines, they'll need a new copy. If you want, include a line in the new query that says you noticed that you accidentally submitted without including an SASE on such-and-such date, and wanted to correct the error. We all have, 'whoops, sorry!' days.

Technically, the SASE is probably not that big of a deal -- your contact information should be on your MS anyway, so if they like it they'll call you, not send you a letter. The SASE is useful, however, for when they want to reject you, and that's why it's included in submission guidelines. I'd go ahead and send it in with a letter explaining why you're sending it, so they see you're capable of following directions.

That having been said, there have been times I've included a SASE, and STILL got a rejection in the publishing house's envelope.

practical experience, FTW Dollywagon's Avatar

Running Press Kids

Does anybody have any info on Running Kids Press? Apparently it's an imprint of Perseus Books. The website link I've got doesn't work, but Perseus say they have an "innovative model of publishing"

Vanity press?

Your Genial Uncle Absolute Sage James D. Macdonald's Avatar
    Perseus Books doesn't appear to have a "Running Kids Press" imprint. They do have a Running Press Kids.

Thanks, James. That was quick.
    I'd tried P&E and not come up with anything so assumed the worst ...

Banned

[Publisher] Avalon/Moon Handbooks

Specifically if their acquisitions needs are up to date? I've seen some of the same titles on there for 2+ years. http://www.avalontravelbooks.com/acquisitions.php

What happened to my LIFE?! SHBueche's Avatar
    You know, that's a good question ... I've wondered the same exact thing. Perhaps we can contact them and ask.
    Shelley

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    Just a note that Avalon Travel Publishing (of Avalon Publishing Group, Inc.) is in turn part of the Perseus Books Group.

From a quick comparison of Wanted vs. current http://www.moon.com/booklist/index.html, it looks like they are indeed still looking for those subjects.
    ICAO
    ---------
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017:

[Publisher] Perseus Book Group

He,

I have recieved an initial "offer" from Running Press to publish a journal type of book that I have written? i don't know if the offer is fair or reasonable. Is there any one or place that I can turn to get the info or advise i need?

Thanks
    Steph

I'm confused about Running Press Kids.
    On the link you give, James, it says no unsolicited subs. Yet I subbed my first to them last year (I MUST have seen submission guidelines somewhere or wouldn't have done it) and got a rejection but inviting me to sub again. I subbed again and got a similar (but not the same rejection) again inviting me to sub in the future.
    I sent another off a few weeks ago ... I'm sure they say they accept unsolicted subs somewhere ... unless they just think 'it's that stupid woman from Scotland again.'

Your Genial Uncle Absolute Sage James D. Macdonald's Avatar
    The invitation to submit in the future makes your subs solicited.

Yes, that is the group, they are out of Philadelphia PA.

My work was unsolicited, but I called them (obviously not experienced!!) and punched in a random extension. I spoke to someone and she told me to send to the submission dept and wait to hear from them. I got an email a little over a month later and now I am at a loss as to what to do.

Thanks James!

Did the email make you an offer, Steph? If so, well done!

Yes, It did...thanks!!!

Now I just have to figure out my next steps??? Anyone have any do's or don'ts?

I have NEVER done anything like this and am totally lost

Thanks

Steph,

Glad to see you posted over here.

Again, I hope you will get some responses from more experienced people. But I have one thought: if you want to get an agent to represent you, this could be an opportune time. Obviously, it is not necessary to have an agent (especially for nonfiction) but there are many advangages. (Someone to handle the business end, to open other doors, to represent future projects.) Have you done other writing, or do you plan to?

Maybe you could post in the "Ask the Agent" forum about whether it would make sense to try to get an agent, for a project like this.

Good luck!

Susan
    Accordion Dreams: A Journey into Cajun and Creole Music, University Press of Mississippi (January '09). Now available!

Visit my author site!

My revised 2008 NaNoWriMo novel, The Music Camp Murders (84,000 words) is now officially a trunk novel.

Working on a memoir about ethnic roots, family secrets, and a famous writer who died under mysterious circumstances.

Writer Beware Goddess Absolute Sage victoriastrauss's Avatar
    Steph, what are the details of the offer you've received? It's hard to know what to say without knowing that. If you don't feel comfortable posting here, feel free to PM me or email me at beware@sfwa.org.

- Victoria

Thanks, I have it posted somewhere here, but I will email you

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast